PoE or D3

Diablo 3 was great. at least from the smoothness of combat point of view. But i had to put on that darkd3 addon and change aerial text to diablo text and made the game a lot sharper n darker. Holy crap i didnt realise how blury that game was. I cant stand to play happy happy sunshine land. Got to have that 3rd party thing running,

I have a lvl 20 paragon witchdoctor. then stopped to do some assignm,ents. then played ps3 more. now im back on POE

The main thing that makes d3 suck for me. is the itemization. its quite.. boring. Str, dex, intekkigence and a couple more but thats all you look for,.
Smoother than Smooth.
Last edited by Moist on Dec 19, 2012, 11:34:15 PM
This comparing may or may not envolve the game to expand at the future with the Story line and other things we bring up if the Admins of this game is reading all threads and we say this thread they will see what we like in the game and dislike so they may envolve the gameplay and the story so maybe we are making the game envolve just for talking about the good and bad things, well Poe maybe would improve this thing we bring up on what we missed in d3 and bring it to Poe to make the players enjoy this game more then d3 so thats also why i made this thread to maybe reach out to the Admins/makers to let them see what we players miss ingame and help then know how to improve, and yes all have diffrent opinions about these games. Still would love to test the game out and make an own opinion about the game Still think it would be awesome even if the story line isent that good. Right me if im wrong but i think this is a good way for the Admins to get idéas to envolve the game for the future :)
To Glory and Beyond! RippsaN out!.
Check out my Threads! -Farming system and Drops? -PoE or D3?
-Beta invite timer thing. -Class system.
Diablo 3 has the best visual presentation I have seen so far. It has an almost perfect balance between (cartoonish) screen props, special effects and character / monster animations. In Diablo 3 you get a good feeling about going out bashing monsters, your attacks are animated perfectly (even if some attacks are rather silly in nature), the effects of your hits on the mobs are great, the effects of the mobs hitting you are nicely done, and when monsters die they get cut in half, or have their limps fall off, they explode, or fall down raising clouds of dust or poison etc. The screens are not very busy, so they are easy to understand with a single glance, and there are great effects in place, eg barrels breaking up, fires with smoke billowing up and so on. Running around and attacking are blended together excellently and the game is very responsive to your mouse clicks, so you can attack and move at the same time, all very smoothly.

The bad news is that Diablo 3 is let down by almost everything else we'd expect from a Diablo 2 sequel/clone. Levels, stats, skills, (lack of) loot, pay-to-win Rm/AH... All a huge disappointment.

Path of Exile has very busy screens with hi res graphics and static props and beautiful shadows. At the same time it lacks in animations and effects, so combat is very bland, not exciting. Sometimes you do not even know that you are being attacked. Nothing special happens when monsters die. In addition attacking is very badly done, you have to stop still and shoot, and then you remain frozen until whatever you have fired off (eg an arrow) has travelled across the screen. There are conflicting opinions whether this stop-start combat ordeal becomes better as you level up.

In terms of stats and skills, PoE is miles ahead of Diablo 3. The Passive Skill Tree combines Diablo 2's stats and skills bonuses but has been stripped of any active skills. What remains is the passive stats/bonuses only. As such it looks completely artificial in places, eg "+3% cast speed". Yawn. The Passive Skills Tree looks impressive but it is simply a Diablo 2 skills pages all expanded out in one screen. And it is not as free to pick from, as you may think. There are well rehearsed and predefined paths that lead you to a particular skill, and well defined paths fanning out from there. So far this does not look more exciting than Diablo 2.

PoE uses Skill Gems to provide with abilities, which in Diablo 2 and Diablo 3 would be an inherent part of a class. In PoE you simply equip a "fireball", "ice nova", "cleave" or "burning arrow" gem, on any gear that has a socket, and you instantly gain that new ability. You are free to swap gems out as you please, which means PoE deviates significantly from Diablo in that any class can use any ability, melee, ranged, single target or AoE.

Diablo 2 provided unique abilities on weapons and armour, completely outside of the skill tree, and such abilities would be enough to model a new build on. I have not progressed in the game just enough to know if this is also the case in PoE.

As a summary I would say that PoE devs need to concentrate on the graphics and combat fluidity and presentation before spending any time on stats and skills, balancing and so on.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info