Question on "1-14 Lightning Damage"

If an item, say a chest piece, gives "1-14 Lightning Damage", is this damage included in spells you cast or does it just get added into auto attacks you do?
It adds 1-14 lightning damage to any attack you do. Spell or Physical.
I don't know but I will tell you that I was using arc and when I turned on the Aura for added lightning damage, the DPS of my physical attack went up but arc stayed the same. the aura does nothing for my spells. I assume since the wording is the same for the mod on your chest piece that it would work the same as the aura. Meaning only on your physical attacks, not spells.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: Really? How come the aura doesn't add damage to spells?
Last edited by Methodical_Prodigy on Dec 19, 2012, 3:42:10 AM
"
duolc wrote:

Wrong, it will not be added to spells, even lightning spells.

A bit of gear that says 'adds 20% lightning damage' would add to lightning spells though.
Last edited by RandallPOE on Dec 19, 2012, 4:58:16 AM
"
RandallPOE wrote:
"
duolc wrote:

Wrong, it will not be added to spells, even lightning spells.

A bit of gear that says 'adds 20% lightning damage' would add to lightning spells though.

Yes I am so wrong, I totally thought it worked this way, but I never play caster so.

First part of mechanics thread:

Spells
Spells do not draw their damage from your weapon in any way. They are affected by % cast speed, %fire/cold/lightning damage, %spell damage, and critical strikes. Integer damage bonuses on gear are not added to spells.
I have another novice question I'll just ask here instead of making a new thread for. I noticed in the passive skill tree there are some areas that say things like '15% increased crit chance' and others say '15% increased spell crit chance'. Does that mean the first one is for physical attacks only and excludes spells, or does it do both and the "spell" one excludes physical? Do abilities like Flicker Strike count as physical or a spell since its something you're casting?
If it does not specify for spells or weapons then it is considered "global" and applies to everything. For your ? regarding flicker strike, mouse over the gem, it usually will tell you exactly what it is and does

Like doulc I had assumed those damage numbers applied to spells until I checked the damage in my Char screen and investigated further, similarly with auras. It is good that they don't as otherwise spell casters would be very OP.
Last edited by Falan2 on Dec 20, 2012, 3:06:51 AM
With regards to the x - y lightning damage and "adds x% lightning damage" affecting spells and physical attacks differently, what would happen in the case of something like Glacial Hammer? Would it benefit from both?
x-y elementary damage affects any weapon based attack; +xx% elementary damage affects any damage of this element, dealed as main or part of any attack or spell. So, as example, both will increase the damage of Lightning Arrow, with the side effect that the perecentual increase also affects the integer value. (Glacial Hammer only has a cold damage part)
invited by timer @ 10.12.2011
--
deutsche Community: www.exiled.eu & ts.exiled.eu
"
duolc wrote:

A long time player and alpha member did not even know the simple mechanic of how this works, that is strange hehe :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info