A slightly depressing day at work

So here I am at hospital trying to keep awake for a while longer in case anything turns up. We had a rather bad outing in the emergency room this evening. A couple of deaths and an attempted suicide to crown the lot. Not that it makes a difference since I've already seen some 200-odd deaths in various parts of hospital during my intern period (only 2 months to go before license, woohoo!)

There are those times when you wonder why you chose medicine as a subject, even though you were interested in the first place.

How go things with you lot?
1337 21gn17ur3
All of my projects at work have ground to a halt due to the holidays. I've rewrote some maintenance scripts, but nothing too major.

That being said, I'm really glad I do not work in a hospital setting anymore, I'd rather support them on the backend :P
you studied medicine or allied health sciences of any kind? wow this makes the 5th person on the forums that I know of who is associated with medicine in any way.
1337 21gn17ur3
"
you studied medicine or allied health sciences of any kind? wow this makes the 5th person on the forums that I know of who is associated with medicine in any way.

I was a combat medic in the military, and worked at Brooke Army Medical Center for a short time in San Antonio. Now I specialize in medical software interfaces and hospital information systems :)
my respects to you for taking up a tough job.

Us interns are the bottom of the food chain; most of what I've done in any day is paperwork, to the point that I'm grateful for any chance to actually do doctor things. And no, monitoring vitals and status don't always count.

Last week I did assist in cutting off somebody's leg, but well.....
1337 21gn17ur3
"
my respects to you for taking up a tough job.

Us interns are the bottom of the food chain; most of what I've done in any day is paperwork, to the point that I'm grateful for any chance to actually do doctor things. And no, monitoring vitals and status don't always count.

Last week I did assist in cutting off somebody's leg, but well.....

Just make sure you get into a good hospital after your residency/intern. There are some really shitty hospitals out there. My suggestion would be one that isn't owned by a multi-hospital corporation.
In India, there is always plenty of choice; but then again, infinite entrance tests, and those are a hurdle for most of us.

I'm actually contemplating a gap year between specializations to get a little more work experience, so that I don't look like a fool pursuing higher studies.
1337 21gn17ur3
One day I hope to visit India! It's on my to-do list along with Croatia and New Zealand :P I have a very good friend from India that I used to work with, she may be the nicest woman I've ever met in my entire life. She's like my second mother.
hehe, I'm happy for you. We can be very nice (but sadly there are also not so nice people here just like in any part of the world.)

wait a minute; I just remembered why finals can be horrifying things in medicine. 150 of us started the course 5 years ago. 70 now remain. *shudder*
1337 21gn17ur3
Yay fellow Doctor! Yeah, intership is some adventure isn't it?
Cheers!
POE is a constantly evolving game, so expect balance changes, buffs and nerfs STILL!
Last edited by THEHORNEDRAT on Dec 18, 2012, 3:41:57 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info