Theory Crafting a "Burning" Freezing Pulse Build, Looking for help!

Before I get into the details I just want to explain a few ideas and thoughts about this build. It is not restricted to Marauder, I could just as easily do Templar or Witch. I am very knowledgeable with all skills except spells, that's when things get a little complicated for me.

The general idea I have is to run a freeze pulse with cold to fire, LMP/GMP, increased burn damage and elemental proliferation gems.

The ignite would be based on crits only, so I don't think I'd need a chance to ignite gem. I feel a ~30-40% chance to crit would be plenty and some multiplier to have a decent burn damage.

I understand this build will be very gear dependent and might not do high damage until very end game but I understand that and would just like some additional thought and advice on it.

The plan would be to stack life and armour where ever possible along with crit and mana nodes since I wont be able to run a BM gem on my skill.

Here is a tree for Marauder, which seems to be the most tanky out of the other characters I have made initial trees for.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBAP0CcQSzDkgRlhJpFE0UsBZvFxwXUBkuGYUaOBpsJDwkqiaVJ6kn7SkuKU82xTbYNuk62D38RtdJUUwtTdhQQlBQVUtVxlhjWfNabV3GXfJfKl8_YG1mT2ebbXtwUnC7cNVxeXRVfLh8zn1Tf8aBSYFvgh6Cm4gbiEKMNox2jM-OZI9GkFWboZ2jna6ePKIAoi6nCKdcp4SsmKyqsji1BLaGud3AGsHFxtjPZdDQ1I_YJN3z42rkIuvk7DjsVe8O74XwH_Id8i_2SPem99f8qw==

Let me know what you think and thank you in advance for looking!

Last bumped on Feb 11, 2017, 1:09:15 AM
Bump
Main problem you're going to run into is that GMP/LMP will work against your goal of high ignite damage. By breaking up FP into multiple projectiles you're lowering the top end damage potential of any ignites you cause. Remember that only one ignite can be active at a time and the ignite damage will be based on an individual projectile's damage, not the sum of all projectiles fired. The extra projectile gems will increase the non-ignite damage you deal, but will reduce the magnitude of the ignites significantly. You'll still end up doing more damage than a non-fire FP, but if your goal was high ignite damage then I don't think GMP FP is what you're looking for.
"
Hesp wrote:
Main problem you're going to run into is that GMP/LMP will work against your goal of high ignite damage. By breaking up FP into multiple projectiles you're lowering the top end damage potential of any ignites you cause. Remember that only one ignite can be active at a time and the ignite damage will be based on an individual projectile's damage, not the sum of all projectiles fired. The extra projectile gems will increase the non-ignite damage you deal, but will reduce the magnitude of the ignites significantly. You'll still end up doing more damage than a non-fire FP, but if your goal was high ignite damage then I don't think GMP FP is what you're looking for.

Thank you, that was extremely informative and exactly the feedback I was looking for. I knew at the most LMP was the farthest I could go. Therefore, I would have a decision to make. I could test the damage with extra projectiles and without to see what works better. The idea is to have a high ignite damage and then proliferate that to other mobs. Its looking like a single projectile would be the way to go, would you have an idea for the best support gem to replace LMP with?
I've been testing a while.
I suggest swap lmp/gmp with something like enhence, point blank or Faster projecile if your not using. Keep in mind that freezing pulse is somehow a short range skill, so point blank is an option.

If you simply want a burning build.
You can also keep the cold damage and try Hrimburn.
I have two thoughts for Hrimburn:
1. double snakepit: increased cold dmg double dips burning which is awesome!
2. Swap lmp/gmp with cold penetration: cold penetration double dips as well. Downside is single projectile vers bosses.
Hrimburn keeps the chill and freeze which is safer in fighting packs like Breachs.
"
Estrn wrote:
I've been testing a while.
I suggest swap lmp/gmp with something like enhence, point blank or Faster projecile if your not using. Keep in mind that freezing pulse is somehow a short range skill, so point blank is an option.

If you simply want a burning build.
You can also keep the cold damage and try Hrimburn.
I have two thoughts for Hrimburn:
1. double snakepit: increased cold dmg double dips burning which is awesome!
2. Swap lmp/gmp with cold penetration: cold penetration double dips as well. Downside is single projectile vers bosses.
Hrimburn keeps the chill and freeze which is safer in fighting packs like Breachs.
Hrimburn doesn't turn your burn damage into cold damage, your ignites still deal fire damage. So Hrimburn doesn't make cold damage double-dip. And penetration never double-dips, because penetration does not affect damage over time.

More generally, I think if you want to use proliferation from a cold skill, you should use Avatar of Fire+Cold to fire. Otherwise, you will destroy corpses (either with freeze or with Pyre) and that's no good for prolif builds.
builds: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1663570/

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info