about the "Athene" guy

after reading all the threads about how he started playing PoE, and how his death to Brutus will keep thousands of people away from the game - I got curious.
I watched him only once in the past, and thought he was annoying so I didn't watch again - but now I did a more in-depth search, trying to find out what the fuss is about.

apparently, "Athene" is a massive douche bag. it's his "character". the persona he takes on while playing and streaming.
he is probably different as a person, but that's who he is online.
that's what his fans like to see, and apparently there are thousands of people out there, who like watching the "Athene" character insult and troll others.
give a hard time to teammates and fans alike.
use others at will, then throw away.

and you know what? I'm not sure I want any of said thousands of fans playing PoE.
now, I'm not against expanding the player base. on the contrary.
thousands of new players is good, but thousands of "Athene fans" is bad.
I just think having people who find what "Athene" does amusing - or god forbid view him as a "role model" of sorts - play the game, will be devastating.
Global Chat and the average quality of conversations in game and in the forums, is already at an all time low in my opinion. I honestly don't want it to get any lower.

also, I noticed he is acting like he never played the game before. to an extreme.
however, I distinctly remember a guy with a very similar name playing in Open Beta.
simply put, if "Athene" is a newbie to Path Of Exile, then who is THIS GUY?
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Nov 12, 2013, 1:46:39 AM
All I know is that he makes kids mad and that's good enough for me lol
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
pretty sure this is his first video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLYrFR9RT_U

Think it was meant to troll the forums but took off. Regardless I laugh everytime I see someone talking shit about him. Pretty clear its what he wants.
The game does not adapt to you, you adapt to it.
Last edited by Delmas on Nov 12, 2013, 1:56:43 AM
I'm not "talking shit" about him, I'm just sharing my impression from some reading I did, and some videos I watched.

the point of the thread is, I don't want people who consider him a role model, or thinking that's the "proper way" to play - playing Path Of Exile. by the thousands.
I really don't.
it will turn the game's community into a cesspool.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Nov 12, 2013, 2:07:14 AM
he is a controversial figure in gaming community.
Please RNG give me a fishing rod !
[Removed by Admin]
Last edited by Henry_GGG on Nov 12, 2013, 4:09:12 AM
He has high IQ, has a hot girlfriend, is rich, is famous, is a nerd, raises funds for charity and is a master-troll.

Seriously, he is the ultimate nerd. An alpha male among nerds. It shouldn't be suprising that so many people idolize him and admire him.

But, of course, haters gonna hate.
Last edited by andinuad on Nov 12, 2013, 3:02:20 AM
[Removed by Admin]
Last edited by Henry_GGG on Nov 12, 2013, 3:34:15 AM
Actually Athene's team raced for world first diablo inferno kill on normal league, they would probably have got it but blizzard nerfed their teams ability as they were stacking some monk skill to achieve permament immunity. They were at the end act3 inferno probably first.

edited: guy I was quoting got banned
Last edited by strobotti on Nov 12, 2013, 3:35:29 AM
[Removed by Admin]
Last edited by Henry_GGG on Nov 12, 2013, 3:33:59 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info