Westboro Cult to protest Sandy Hook victims funerals....

That Westboro group will eventually do something very nonsensical that not even the law can protect them from being condemned. They are pretty close to threshing that line. It is matter of when that will happen.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Gosh, Eggy, those 'guests' thinking they own the beach. W.T.F. lol

Being in a position of authority, especially with what I am able to do, yes, I have had my share of spitters!

As for Westboro, God forgive them. Pray for them.
POE is a constantly evolving game, so expect balance changes, buffs and nerfs STILL!

@ THEHORNEDRAT

And I'm in a position to refer them for three days for examination - with or without their consent. I think you know where that comes from - but I've never had to use the power.

I like the bush. It's peaceful! (apart from the pigs, spiders, scorpions, assorted snakes, wild camels etc.)
Haha Eggy, me too. they certainly need an involuntary assessment under an R&R*. I'm authorized as well, so I can detain them involuntarily for treatment too. Refer them to me!

*No, it does not mean rest and recreation!
POE is a constantly evolving game, so expect balance changes, buffs and nerfs STILL!
"
Elynole wrote:

Sorry, but Freedom is fine, I love it. But that doesn't mean you have the right to do whatever you please.

I disagree with you, the government should shut you up. Sounds silly when boiled down to its basic nature, doesn't it?
I don't have sig :D -- gracy123
Here's some thoughts. Not to argue with people, this is just some of my perspective.

This isn't about disagreeing with someone. Westboro can think whatever they want and myself and the rest of the country will care very little. Their opinion isn't why people are angry with them. Its that they shove their opinion into people's faces by appearing at funerals and holding up disrespectful/rude signs in order to get a rise from grieving families. I personally don't think they should have the right to do that. I feel like those grieving families should have the right to grieve in peace.

Standard Forever
"
iamstryker wrote:
Here's some thoughts. Not to argue with people, this is just some of my perspective.

This isn't about disagreeing with someone. Westboro can think whatever they want and myself and the rest of the country will care very little. Their opinion isn't why people are angry with them. Its that they shove their opinion into people's faces by appearing at funerals and holding up disrespectful/rude signs in order to get a rise from grieving families. I personally don't think they should have the right to do that. I feel like those grieving families should have the right to grieve in peace.

it's all about perspective. You disagree with the freaks, so you take the right to assemble from them and make up a right (peaceful grieving) and give it to the families. Surely you see that eventually someone will think you don't deserve or need one of the rights you have, and take it from you. Once you unlock the door, it swings both ways.

"
Eggy wrote:
I guess that Australians have a reputation for not giving a damn about authority and that may or may not be deserved. What we do have are laws that greet racist or hate statements with imprisonment.

I don't know that they get used much though because by the time 'the authorities' get there it's usually all over.

The leader of a political party once made some statements seen as racist. She had to be evacuated from her meeting under police protection.

We had a situation in one of our coastal suburbs a couple of years ago when some people from a particular religion started throwing their weight around. The instant riot ended that one and their religious leaders publicly condemned their actions. When the last couple get out of jail they will probably find out their neighbours have loooong memories.

Closer in time there were some people demonstrating about a movie made that ridiculed someone. Some of them had their kids holding posters calling for execution of the guy concerned.

They were arrested and given a very hard time by the cops initially, then by their own religious leaders and then by the community at large. It hasn't happened since.

I live about ten minutes away from that coastal suburb, Eggy.

I grew up here.

That day, there was NO WAY I was going anywhere near the beach.

But don't for a second think this area has become any less racist as a result. It's still here, still bubbling away.
__

I've also lived in the US for several years, so I've been exposed to both 'Australian prejudice' and 'American prejudice'. They really are two very different beasts.

That said, I think it's a huge topic and not one I want to get into here. Merely wanted to point out that while Eggy is correct in stating we Australians do racism differently, we still do it.

__

I was able to sign the white house petition as an Australian, and I did so before I saw it here. My girlfriend (Texan by upbringing, Mid-West by birth) linked me to it and I was like, yes, on THIS, she and I do agree.

We don't have a first amendment in Australia. Or a fifth. And oddly enough, we don't really want either. The nanny state thing is getting way out of hand down here, but we're also far less tolerant of arseholes speaking their mind when their minds are full of hate and prejudice.

This is an interesting thing to remember when you consider groups like the WBC. When does Freedom of Speech become a weapon? When does it become a platform for terror?

Again, huge questions better answered with solid research. Too complex a subject for here.

WBC is bad. Hate group. Yes. Should be recognised as such. Sign.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
"
Onionspam wrote:
"
iamstryker wrote:

it's all about perspective. You disagree with the freaks, so you take the right to assemble from them and make up a right (peaceful grieving) and give it to the families. Surely you see that eventually someone will think you don't deserve or need one of the rights you have, and take it from you. Once you unlock the door, it swings both ways.

And which right that I believe that I have would be comparable to angering the families of dead relatives?

I understand that your using a slippery slope argument but I think the country can use common sense when it comes to this kind of thing.
Standard Forever
Last edited by iamstryker on Dec 17, 2012, 6:46:01 PM
"
Charan wrote:

We don't have a first amendment in Australia. Or a fifth. And oddly enough, we don't really want either. The nanny state thing is getting way out of hand down here

and you don't think these two facts are related? What happens when it gets way out of hand and you begin speaking out about your own government? You trust them to let you do it?

"
Charan wrote:

Again, huge questions better answered with solid research. Too complex a subject for here.

WBC is bad. Hate group. Yes. Should be recognised as such. Sign.

Party foul. You gave us the "move along, nothing to see here" right before giving your opinion, like saying the conversation is over right after you have the last word. I'm going to have to take 10 cool points from you for that one (as I slowly grumble under my breath and walk away).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info