Please Remove XP Loss, At Least Temporarily

Hello, would it be possible to either remove the xp or even better make it an option for the players? The desyncing issue is seriously worse than it was for me when I took a month or so break from it last time. A couple of my characters can not progress any further because of it. This is not a learn to play issue, as how can I learn to play something I can't even understand? I die so much to it that it is literally a game breaker for me.

I realize not everyone has these problems. Great for you... But for myself and apparently quite a lot of others, it is a very serious issue. I love the game, but its not fun being stuck with no option other than to replay the same couple maps over and over and over, which still has the occasional death. But maps my level just are impossible. Especially in merc were your going up against groups of 20+ mobs at once. Especially on my shadow, who is light defense but is quick to escape battle and maneuver around.

So please, pretty please with cherrys on top, until there is some type of solution or something for the desync issue, can't we please have the xp loss set as an option or something? If I didn't lose so much time everytime I died from desyncing I really wouldn't be so frustrated, seriously it wouldn't be nearly as much of a problem. I already can't play HC because of this, and now default is becoming impossible. The only classes I can play and still progress with are either high defense characters or summoners, and those really aren't that much fun, at least not all the time.

Even if there could be some other type of loss, like losing some currency or something, I would be fine with that. Then lets say once you lose all your currency from desyncing then you start to lose xp... Something, something so people like myself can still play and still progress in the game. That's all I am asking for... Is that really so bad? To want to enjoy the game that you have put so much time and effort into? And not to mention money...
$bestGameEver = new Game(POA);
$everyThingElse = new Array( D2, D3, TL2, DS3, GD, TQ );

for($time=0; $time<infinity+1, $time++){
░░░░$bestGameEver.own($everyThingElse);
}

$everyThingElse.lose();
OR, what if there was a new currency in game, maybe even called "Desync" and it could be a medium rare currency which you could use to prevent the loss of xp on a death. This way, when this problem does occur, the player has the option to use up a currency to bypass the unfair loss of xp. Wouldn't that work? Why would that be a bad thing to have in game?

Or, I mean, is it not possible for the game to realize that the player just experienced a huge spike? I don't see why it wouldn't be, the game already shows you the graph of your latency, why couldn't the game use that to do something like "IF the character dies within 5 seconds of one of those spikes (desyncs) to avoid the xp loss"?

There has got to be some type of solution, that does not invovle straight up fixing the core problem... I'm seriously not trying to be an annoyance to you guys, the devs, but please understand the frustration on my end here...

What does the xp loss do for the game anyways? It's kind of a frustrating mechanic in general, which is why probably most all games no longer do this sort of thing. In theory it sounds cool, but in practice, especially with an online only game, it proves to be more of a nuisance than anything. It's not like the game is hard, deaths are typically from latency issues, or the occasional attention fart, and the rare mistake. But, when someone like myself can't even fill up their xp bar because of the constant death, its really just aggravating, especially when it's literally no fault of your own.

}

$everyThingElse.lose();
Last edited by robproctor83 on Dec 15, 2012, 1:41:30 AM
In all honesty. If you're dying that much. Maybe you should rethink your build a little.
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
In all honesty. If you're dying that much. Maybe you should rethink your build a little.

That's not the point. The 2 characters which I am having this problem with, where I can't progress (even though I did gain a level earlier today on my shadow) is not meant as a defensive character, it's meant to be a fast dodging character. I avoid the majority of damage by moving away from mobs, not letting them just stack on me and have armor negate the damage. When a group of 10+ enemies gets a hold of me I have usually 1 maybe 2 chances to get out and let my energy shield recharge (CI), however what happens ALL OF THE TIME is that once I escape to safety I will be teleported back to the mobs. 50% of the time that happens I will get back out okay, and survive, the other 50% I will die.

Now, considering that in merc just about every map in a2 has tons and tons of large packs of mobs everywhere, its not possible to avoid constant death. And, end game maps are much worse. It's not that I need to change my character, its that the game needs to work the way its supposed to. I have other classes which I can get by with, like a high defense maraudar or a summoner, and while those characters can be fun, my favorite playstyle right now is not one of those. Why should i be forced to play a high defensive character just so that I don't die to desyncing? That's just bs.

}

$everyThingElse.lose();
Last edited by robproctor83 on Dec 15, 2012, 1:49:48 AM
wtf it double posted.. sigh

}

$everyThingElse.lose();
Last edited by robproctor83 on Dec 15, 2012, 1:47:56 AM
"
robproctor83 wrote:
What does the xp loss do for the game anyways? It's kind of a frustrating mechanic in general, which is why probably most all games no longer do this sort of thing. In theory it sounds cool, but in practice, especially with an online only game, it proves to be more of a nuisance than anything. It's not like the game is hard, deaths are typically from latency issues, or the occasional attention fart, and the rare mistake. But, when someone like myself can't even fill up their xp bar because of the constant death, its really just aggravating, especially when it's literally no fault of your own.

XP loss forces ppl to play better or face the consequences. I enjoy min/max builds with high risk as well. I know your frustration that desync can be ruinous to a playstyle that is already riding the razors edge.

Its unfortunate that desync is making your favored playstyle unplayable, but you discredit your point with comments like the quote above. The game is hard. We want it to be hard. We want to figure out why its hard & emerge with a creative solution to overcome the difficulty.

Also, what is your stun recovery %? What level is the chr in question? Are you duel wielding? Are you pure evasion? If the answers are 0, >70, Yes, Yes I suggest taking SL43R's advice.
____________________________________twitch.tv/tyranthal
That's a good think..it make it a bit more difficult and get risks..it's a good thing :)
"
Tyranthal wrote:
"
robproctor83 wrote:

Its unfortunate that desync is making your favored playstyle unplayable, but you discredit your point with comments like the quote above. The game is hard. We want it to be hard. We want to figure out why its hard & emerge with a creative solution to overcome the difficulty.

I wouldn't have answered otherwise :/
Take care out there.
"
SL4Y3R wrote:

We can't deny desyncs are huge problems for some builds. With my current rangers, almost no desyncs, it works fine. With my lvl 60 shadow in legacy (close to CI crit dagger Invalesco's build) some days it's a nightmare, mostly when i use Whirling Blades, and it's sometimes unplayable. This character is not a glass cannon but he's squishy. My only solution right now is to grind in merciless in places like Dread Thicket cause maps are sometimes unplayable and yes, it's not fun to lose 30 minutes of exp because 3 seconds after fleeing a group of mobs you suddenly lose 90% of your ES, or more.

I don't want the exp penalty to be removed, i'm just saying that i understand OP and that desyncs are a real problem. For my shadow, i did not play it since last weeks where i had many desyncs, maybe things are better now, i don't know what cause them.
Last edited by Grahf23 on Dec 31, 2012, 8:42:28 AM
Thanks for the replyes everyone, and most of all thanks for responding in a positive civil way. I understand this topic about desyncs is annoying when its already been discussed to death. I am just hoping we can discuss possible alternatives to alleviate some of the problems that come with desyncing.

So, I totally understand that a lot of you enjoy the xp loss, that is why I am asking to have it as some type of optional mechanic. In my opinion, the xp loss does not make the game any harder, it simply makes it more frustrating. Losing xp does not make the enemies harder, or the encounters more challenging, it simply makes dying more frustrating. Which in turn, makes you play a lot more defensively. And while defensive play styles can be fun, and also challenging, why does that have to be a requirement?

While I really think that my previous comment about creating a new moderately rare currency that would allow the player to regain previously lost xp on death would alleviate a lot of the frustrations I am having, it also would be confusing for players, and I could see how it could be used for situations completely unrelated to desync deaths. But, cmon, what is worse here? So what if one out of every 5 deaths a player could regain their xp?

@Grahf23, you hit the nail on the head my friend. The shadow you described sounds much like the one I am talking about in my posts. While I have more than enough defenses to handle my current level maps, while I can take a handful of kicks and punches, I can't defend myself againt desyncs.

Here's how 90% of my desync deaths go, for anyone whos even still reading this lol.

1) Encounter pack of mobs. Let's say there is 10 mobs.
2) Keep distance, throw some lightening strikes, wait for mobs to approach
3) Mobs approach, throw a couple frenzies, aquire charges
4) flicker strike my charges out, usually now I am about half energey shield with CI
5) Attempt to get out of the mobs if they are still alive.
6) Escape was successful, I am in the clear...
7) Teleported back into the middle of the mob and boom im dead.

And, the other 10% desync deaths are frustrating as well. Of that 10% probably 5-9% go like this

1) Encounter a single mob
2) Throw blows
3) Im at ~75% es, mob is at 5% hp.
4) Continue to throw blows, miss miss miss miss miss (thinking I am missing)
5) suddenly I drop from 75% es to 0, mob still at 5% hp.

And, who can forget the all time favorite

1) Running through a map, just merrily skipping along
2) And then, you die...

}

$everyThingElse.lose();

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type