GS, STAFF, BLOOD marauder

About resistance nodes. They are not obligatory. I take them, because they make leveling process much easier. Probably I will reset them at end-game.

BLOOD MAGIC, STAFF, GROUND SLAM mara
Spoiler
Points used: 80

Main attack: Ground Slam (+ Life Gain on Hit + Melee Physical Damage + Added Fire Damage)
Support attack: Heavy strike (+ Life Gain on Hit + Melee Physical Damage + Added Fire Damage)
Auras: Anger, Wrath

Weapon: 2H Mace

Build in a pill:

Spoiler

POINTS USED: 80

320 STR
14 DEX
44 INT

UNWAVERING STANCE
BLOOD MAGIC
RESOLUTE TECHNIQUE

+2 ENDURACE CHARGES
+18% CHARGE DURATION
0.2% REGEN PER CHARGE

HP BONUS=123%
FLAT HP BONUS=60 (134 with hp bonus)
REGEN: 2.9%

RESES:51%
ELEMENTAL ADAPTATION

BLOCK CHANCE: 29%

DAMAGE BONUS: 147%
IAS BONUS: 17%

Build:
Spoiler

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAAnEEsw48D1QUIBRNFHEZLho4HOcg8CECIVUkiyftKvYt0jIJOQ46UjrYPQ9EckTnRY5KLlBHUFBUSVYEVw1YY18_YVJqHmo7cql3YnuMfLt82YTEhmCKdIzPkFWRzpMHns2fPp_LogCnMKeEp6WoGKlorKq3crlDud277b05xBXE9sWKxtjSIdWL2WHfv-dS7DjtRO8O8B_yL_Pd9kj3vg==

BASIC, MACE GROUND SLAM mara build

Spoiler
Points used: 84

Main attack: Ground Slam (+ Life Gain on Hit + Melee Physical Damage + Added Fire Damage)
Support attack: Heavy strike (+ Life Gain on Hit + Melee Physical Damage + Added Fire Damage)
Auras: Anger, Wrath

Weapon: 2H Mace

Build in a pill:
Spoiler
POINTS USED: 79

340 STR
24 DEX
24 INT

RESOLUTE TECHNIQUE
BLOOD MAGIC
UNWAVERING STANCE

HP BONUS=151%
FLAT HP BONUS=60 (151 with HP BONUS)
REGEN: 4.2%/s (5.4%/s with 6 charges) This heals you completely in 19 secs.

RESES: 45%
ELEMENTAL ADAPTATION

DAMAGE BONUS: 109%
IAS BONUS: 21%

Build:

EDIT LOG:
Spoiler

v4 Screwed bloodless build as complete disaster. Added basic build.
v3 Added bloodless build
v2 Change weapon to staves, added elemental resistance nodes. General optymalisation.
v1.1 Changed 3x10str nodes into another 3x10str nodes, to make unwavering stance accesible at low level
v1
Last edited by ThreeBlackBirds on Dec 29, 2012, 6:37:28 AM
Seems feasible, but you may encounter accuracy difficulties without proper gear in the early stages of the build.
Just swamped some str nodes to make anwavering stance more accesible.

Then i tried the build from scratch, with no items - just to check those accuracy difficulties. And I can state that there are NO problems with accuracy. I took anwavering stance with 90% hit chance

vill

Ps. Any more sugestions?
What about your resists? Why no ele adaptation at the very least? You plan to rely solely on luck with finding awesome gear to compensate? I think you'll get owned by ele dmg on ruthless and early merciless despite the gazillion life nodes. Also phys damage will hit you super hard too cuz you wont have any armour and you're not taking IR. And since you hate using endurance charges prepare to die a lot I think.
I also don't like wasting points on defence nodes but atleast some other than life one won't hurt.
But who knows, prove me wrong, gl ;)
Relax. I do not force anyone to use this build. What more - I do not force myself to use this build. I am here to learn how mara works, and on a base of wiser and more experniced players improve this build. Just to create awesome one for OB.

I will try to give you my thoughts about build issues and I would be appreciated if you persuade me from dark side.

1. Resists.
I knew it may be weak point of this build. But I thought I can easily collect them all from equips. Unlike elemental characters I'm not forced to collect damage equips - so it should be to concentrate on health and resists equipment. Is it?

2. Elemental adaptation.
I am reading forum quite a bit and I'm constantly facing opinion that (now, after patch x.xx) it's pretty hard to reach maximum resists. So why should I try to increase maximum that i can't even reach?

3. Iron Reflexes.
I didn't considered wearing evasion equipment since armor-one has biggest chance getting those red sockets, don't they? Yea, I know I'm going to wear what I find, but should i waste 10 points because I may find one good evasion helmet?

4. Armor.
Just read, that people suggest life over armor - now I don't remeber what, but it was something like armor dealing with high physical damage is not efficient. Or whatever. For example over here:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/59779

5. Endurance charges
Still I can have 3 charges, which I can 'switch on' when fighting something elemental. And i thought that those 3 - because of shitloads of health will be enough to deal with them. Or i have to possess full pack of 6 charges to survive?

vill
Last edited by ThreeBlackBirds on Dec 14, 2012, 9:58:08 AM
"
Relax. I do not force anyone to use this build. What more - I do not force myself to use this build. I am here to learn how mara works, and on a base of wiser and more experniced players improve this build. Just to create awesome one for OB.

I will try to give you my thoughts about build issues and I would be appreciated if you persuade me from dark side.

1. Resists.
I knew it may be weak point of this build. But I thought I can easily collect them all from equips. Unlike elemental characters I'm not forced to collect damage equips - so it should be to concentrate on health and resists equipment. Is it?

2. Elemental adaptation.
I am reading forum quite a bit and I'm constantly facing opinion that (now, after patch x.xx) it's pretty hard to reach maximum resists. So why should I try to increase maximum that i can't even reach?

3. Iron Reflexes.
I didn't considered wearing evasion equipment since armor-one has biggest chance getting those red sockets, don't they? Yea, I know I'm going to wear what I find, but should i waste 10 points because I may find one good evasion helmet?

4. Armor.
Just read, that people suggest life over armor - now I don't remeber what, but it was something like armor dealing with high physical damage is not efficient. Or whatever. For example over here:

5. Endurance charges
Still I can have 3 charges, which I can 'switch on' when fighting something elemental. And i thought that those 3 - because of shitloads of health will be enough to deal with them. Or i have to possess full pack of 6 charges to survive?

vill

I'm more than relaxed, thanks for caring ;) I just pointed out what I feel won't work with the build as I got a bit of XP with maras I guess, ofc everyone has his own playstyle and different preferences.

1. Ye, sure you can get resists from gear, but high rolls are on high-end gear obviously.
Just said you'll have tough times while getting the good gear without investing in some resist nodes.

2. Well you link a lvl 75-ish+ build. At that level you can easily cap 80% resists if you want.

3. So you plan on ditching really good hybrid armour/eva pieces for example when you find them? I kinda doubt that. And even if don't use a single eva piece grace will still give you over 1K armour with IR. And mara isn't all about red sockets you know, you still need some other colors ;)

4. Yes, armour sux. I go allin for life instead of it too.

5. Well you clearly stated, you're gonna ignore endurance charges. In mine mind that sounds like I won't ever use them ;)
"

1. Resists.

2. Elemental adaptation.

3. Iron Reflexes.

4. Armor.

5. Endurance charges

vill

1 & 2. You must have passive resist nodes if you want to survive at higher levels, not even high resist gear will save you, because after each difficulty increase, your resistances get reduced by 20%(if you do not have any resist node not items then you get -60% resistance to all in merciless).

3. That is not how they work, the more STR you get the more chances to get a red socket, it does not matter whether if you are wearing plate armour or a tutu suit.

4. It is true, the higher the damage dealt by the enemy, the more it penetrates the armour, but that does not meant that it's useless. You must get armour + IR, or armour AND evasion (i suggest armour and evasion, because evasion is effective against enemies that deal high damage hits).

5. Three EC are just fine, but if you wanna be tanky then get 5 at least. The more you get, the more effective they become, that 5% of each charge means much more than a plus 15% if you have 6 charges, also you can get that regen node and i'd suggest at least 1 additional duration node. (also, there is a skill that depending on the ammount of charges, it makes you immune to physical damage for certain ammount of time (few seconds).

6. Think on that even having a lot of defense and life, some enemies can bring you down quick, so, think on a pure melee attack and a long or mid range attack as a back up for special ocations.
"The harder the game, the better."
Last edited by Vold316 on Dec 16, 2012, 11:45:04 PM
Thank you guys. I'll definitely consider what you have said, update build a probably ask some questions. I hope you will be so kind to answer them.

For now I'm thinking about defense against high-physical-damage-mobs. It was already said that armor sucks. I can't go for evasion since I'm melee character that cannot be stunned in order to survive.

So what do you think about staves instead of maces? Actually I went maces just because Struyk did so. This will bring about 30% block chance.
I think that pure evasion builds are better suited for other classes and other kind of combat style.
Armour will always be a good stat to look for if you are going to create a melee build, specially in late game.
If i'd like to create a TANK i'd choose 1h+shield, i'd stack Life, Life Regen, Armour, Evasion AND Shield Block. If i wanna go a little more berserker, then i'd probably go with 2h. i'd stack Life, Life Regen, Armour and Evasion.

If you are looking for defense against high damage enemies:
Against Huge Physical Damage Blows - Get 5 or 6 Endurance Charges, Immortal Call, Support Gem: Additional Duration. That way you will gain immunity to physical hits for a few seconds.
Against Huge Elemental Damage Blows - Elemental Resistance.

Anyways, i wouldn't worry much about fact that armour gives less %DR against big blows, instead, i'd get Armour and a strategy to fight against those enemies (Immortal Call + Attack, then retreat and repeat).
"The harder the game, the better."
I would like to thank you A LOT, both you guys. I was defenetly like TAKE ALL HP NODES. I've updated new build - surely there will be something still wrong, and I would love if you'll find them, and persuade me.

Here are my answers and questions. If you are not afraid of long posts.
Spoiler
RESISTANCES:
You both persuaded me to get those resistance nodes. I'll take both adaptation and diamond body. 140% is kinda lot. But tell me why i.e. Petrov's Elebowman don't take single resistance node. Just because he's ranged?

ARMOR:
Assuming I have:
- 800 gear-defense
Then additional damage reduction from grace (15lvl) is (the difference between damage reduction with and without grace + IR):
- When mob hits me 200 -> 10%
- When mob hits me 500 -> 6%

I don't feel like spending 10 points into it.

What is more. Please remember I'm using Ground Slam, which can be considered as ranged attack.

"
MyH4o wrote:
5. Well you clearly stated, you're gonna ignore endurance charges. In mine mind that sounds like I won't ever use them ;)

My bad - I didn't stated that you've just persuaded me.

"
Vold316 wrote:
That is not how they work, the more STR you get the more chances to get a red socket, it does not matter whether if you are wearing plate armour or a tutu suit.

Thanks. Didn't know that. This is only about chroms, or also about looted items?

"
Vold316 wrote:
Three EC are just fine, but if you wanna be tanky then get 5 at least. The more you get, the more effective they become, that 5% of each charge means much more than a plus 15% if you have 6 charges, also you can get that regen node and i'd suggest at least 1 additional duration node. (also, there is a skill that depending on the ammount of charges, it makes you immune to physical damage for certain ammount of time (few seconds).

That's exactly what i wanted to know! Thanks!

"
Vold316 wrote:
Think on that even having a lot of defense and life, some enemies can bring you down quick, so, think on a pure melee attack and a long or mid range attack as a back up for special ocations.

But... I have Ground Slam, don't I? It should count as ranged...

"
Vold316 wrote:
I think that pure evasion builds are better suited for other classes and other kind of combat style.
Armour will always be a good stat to look for if you are going to create a melee build, specially in late game.

I didn't meant to go for evasion, but block. Staves does not change my dps, they just add block chance instead of stun thereshold, don't they?
I would like to hear ur opinion about whats better: 2h maces or staves

And at last...
"
Vold316 wrote:
You must get armour + IR, or armour AND evasion (i suggest armour and evasion, because evasion is effective against enemies that deal high damage hits).

What about Unwavering Stance? I can't evade then. And without it I would surely become stunlocked, don't I?

vill
Last edited by ThreeBlackBirds on Dec 17, 2012, 4:04:50 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info