A case against auras on MP, skills on HP for blood magic

While you gain the benefits of additional auras, you lose out on versatility. Using the gem, your skill costs not only GREATLY go up, but that is one slot you could have been adding another support to.

The other issue is for more versatile builds, like my own that is your traditional ground slam/heavy strike RT mara... I spiced it up with two totems, and have an equip set aside for flame totem, iron will, added cold, and GMP. This totem already costs nearly 250 each time. With blood magic gem, you are looking at a much larger increase and it would be tougher to sustain that kind of casting, not to mention my totems would be weaker.

As good as hatred is, the added fire damage support is basically the same idea, add a percentage of your physical damage to additional elemental. Thing is, using hatred, and then your skill on blood magic costs much more to use.

Really the only aura my mara would REALLY want is the life regeneration one... but with dual totems, I can always use a rejuvenating totem while still being able to break out decoys or flame totems.

Realistically, I can run three auras, mainly the set mana amount ones, and not gone are the percentage ones. While with blood magic gems, I can run about 5 auras, all my other skills are going to be weaker.
Last edited by BaneoftheLight on Dec 11, 2012, 12:03:50 PM
"
While you gain the benefits of additional auras, you lose out on versatility. Using the gem, your skill costs not only GREATLY go up, but that is one slot you could have been adding another support to.

The other issue is for more versatile builds, like my own that is your traditional ground slam/heavy strike RT mara... I spiced it up with two totems, and have an equip set aside for flame totem, iron will, added cold, and GMP. This totem already costs nearly 250 each time. With blood magic gem, you are looking at a much larger increase and it would be tougher to sustain that kind of casting, not to mention my totems would be weaker.

As good as hatred is, the added fire damage support is basically the same idea, add a percentage of your physical damage to additional elemental. Thing is, using hatred, and then your skill on blood magic costs much more to use.

Really the only aura my mara would REALLY want is the life regeneration one... but with dual totems, I can always use a rejuvenating totem while still being able to break out decoys or flame totems.

Realistically, I can run three auras, mainly the set mana amount ones, and not gone are the percentage ones. While with blood magic gems, I can run about 5 auras, all my other skills are going to be weaker.

The blood magic gem combo with auras is realistically, only for the people who have been playing alot and are looking to get a little more out of their character in this way. Of course, for the general population with 3-4ls, which is what you make it sound like, blood magic gem isn't going to be an option, however, having the ability to add WED and hatred, with afire etc to an already phys heavy build is a good addition of damage, which gives a sizable spike in damage, without losing or specing out of RT.
I think an Eldritch Battery+Inner Force build is a better solution. The only downside is that it takes a pretty big investment of your passive skill points.
You are still losing a spot you could potentially use with another support. whether you have 4, 5, or 6 links. Or you could have the four/five links and add another skill in there that would use the same supports

The increased cost is too much in a lot of cases. If you use five links, and have three supports on your skill and throw blood magic on it, your cost would be gigantic, yet adding another support that is more effective would cost less and give you more than some aura.

Most aura's just aren't that good compared to what they cost. Some are amazing.'

I've played around with both scenarios. That 200% modifier is just too much.

For a physical user, there is no reason to not use this particular combination after getting your 6l. It makes mana so much easier to juggle. Of course, it is more efficient to just get blood magic, but on the other hand, this is much more efficient in and of itself, then not.
(following epsi around)

I did a sword and board duelist and a GS temp using this. The duelist was a little confusings (early build) but the temp pretty much the only skills used were HS, GS and enduring so I never really worried about the cost. But I was able to run, vit, hatred, purity, determination, anger, wrath and grace. I did it during a 1 week race, the penalty resist testing one, and the extra auras really help make up for the shitty gear I had on. I mean for a GS build what more do you need than those 3 skills and phase run, the rest is just extra. I was also a great guy to party with because I'm carrying a bunch of auras people who never be able to use.
Finished 17th in Rampage - Peaked at 11th
Finished 18th in Torment/Bloodline 1mo Race - peaked at 9th
Null's Inclination Build 2.1.0 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1559063
Summon Skeleton 1.3 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1219856
Last edited by Moosifer on Dec 16, 2012, 9:27:14 AM
I definitely think at the very late game blood magic support gem is mandatory for a 6L marauder. Missing out on Hatred/Vitality/Purity and hopefully Haste soon is an enormous downside for the increased cost which is made up mostly by Vitality.

Currently you don't really have all that many options for supporting GS/Sweep. You have added fire, added physical, faster attacks, and culling strike. Concentrated effect isn't really viable without Marohi and that looks like it's going to be getting nerfed with OB.

I do not have Kaoms, but with almost 9% passive regen, the extra cost is nothing compared to the extra damage/survivability you get with auras.

"

Currently you don't really have all that many options for supporting GS/Sweep. You have added fire, added physical, faster attacks, and culling strike.

Added Fire
Culling Strike
Melee Physical
Increased AOE
Concentrated Effect
Life Leech
Faster Attack
Added Lightning/Cold/Chaos

Typical 4 link ends up as melee physical, faster attacks, added fire. That is, unless you are really hurting for life leech, the chances of people using anything else throughout most of the game is really remote. You start running out of options for damage beyond that, you have to go elemental.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info