Good GPU? Good Internet? Still laggy? [Ramdisk Guide]

Super- easy/quick ramdisk guide.

Requirements:
8GB memory (minimum recommended)
64bit OS

Yes I know a ramdisk guide already exists. It's too complicated for players who aren't too technically inclined and just want to get on with it. I use this method myself because if I have to choose between "follow steps 1 to 40 and jump through 12 hoops" and "follow steps "1 to 5"... well you can guess which one I'm going to choose.

Step 1: Download and install the software: http://www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/ (it's free)

Step 2: Mount your disk. Make sure it's only just large enough to contain the Path of Exile folder in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Grinding Gear Games\Path of Exile" if it's any smaller it won't work (obviously) and if it's much larger then you're wasting memory space. Image in spoiler showing you how to mount. Make sure you choose NTFS. You could probably use FAT32 but NTFS is better:
Spoiler

Spoiler not working? You've probably got javascript disabled by NoScript. Allow Path of exile forums.

Step 3: Go to your Path of Exile folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Grinding Gear Games\ and copy it.

Step 4: Go to your new drive (W drive in my case) and paste. It may take a couple of minutes to transfer.

Step 5: Go into your newly pasted Path of Exile folder in the W drive and open the PathOfExile file

You're done. Path of Exile should now run off your memory and all assets will load from the ultra fast memory instead off your sluggish hard drive. Even SSD users should notice a speed boost.

Misc info:
Spoiler
Run PoE first before copying to the ramdisk to allow it to update. It's no good running the updates on the ramdisk, because as soon as you close the ramdisk, the updates will be lost.

You'll need to mount the ramdisk and copy the PoE folder every time you restart your computer. There are ways to make a (semi) permanent ramdisk but it's more complicated and beyond the scope of this guide. I find that wasting a couple of minutes to copy the folder is negligible compared with the chance of playing 2 - 4 hours of lag-free loading.
Player since closed beta 2012. Full system specs: https://pastebin.com/c4rvbvSR
'Tongueslurp the Unspeakable' - skeleton archer in Fellshrine Merciless
Last edited by Zedda on Nov 8, 2013, 12:22:42 PM
i only have 4 gigs of ram though :(
does loading from ramdisk help at all with in-game lag? Or is it just primarily loading zones? Is it really worth doing this if we already have an ssd? Because I load zones fairly fast, but in game I could use all the help I can get.
"
Duckz wrote:
does loading from ramdisk help at all with in-game lag? Or is it just primarily loading zones? Is it really worth doing this if we already have an ssd? Because I load zones fairly fast, but in game I could use all the help I can get.

RAMDisk helps any time it needs to "load content" from the Content.ggpk file into RAM.

RAM to RAM access is much faster than HDD/SDD to RAM access is. In addition, SSD speeds are much higher for "read" than a standard mechanical HDD.

So while you might not see much of an improvement for SSD to RAM, it's still likely to produce some benefit.

Again, this is only when it needs to pull content into RAM that isn't already there,

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info