TV Series

I actually dont watch too much TV, but I kinda like a few out there.

Adventure Time/Regular Show
Burn Notice
Doctor Who
SpongeBob
NCIS
Law & Order(all kinds)
'It is good to contact a moderator if you feel someone is being a twat' Charan, Forum Moderator

Sometimes, we have to cross a ditch.
Sometimes, we have to cross an ocean.-Rhys, GGG
Dexter
Breaking Bad
The Walking Dead
Star Trek Voyager
Futurama

Edit

The Office

Actually prefer the USA one even though it doesn't capture the 'Documentary' feel of the UK one,it just seems more colourful.

Last edited by Kavlor on Dec 13, 2012, 8:59:14 PM
"
Charan wrote:

I've tried to watch Castle twice now. Fillion deserves a better show. It's really badly written, and that's sort of ironic given the role he plays.

Can't argue with that, but still Nathan Fillion. Though I would have loved it considerably better had Firefly continued to air. And I do like the crack-brained conspiracy theories Castle comes up with: "A hairdryer and makeup? Clearly a Glam Metal musician killed the guy!"

"

Currently watching Buffy (obviously a rewatch for me) since the girlriend is a huge Firefly nut but missed the Buffyverse boat, so I'm really looking forward to the Preacher.

Gotta admit, although Buffy was big here, I missed most of it at the time. Only caught up with it last year. And boy, I'd never forgive myself if I hadn't.
"What can I say? I work in mysterious ways. [kills somebody] Also, some fairly straightforward ones."

Maybe I should try Dr Who some time. I just have no idea where to start. At the very beginning? At the re-boot? A specific number?
TV is hard :-(.
12/12/12 - the day Germany decided boys are not quite human.
Last edited by Avireyn on Dec 10, 2012, 9:44:40 AM
"
iamstryker wrote:
I really loved house for awhile but eventually I lost interest. I think the shows just started feeling repetitive to me. Its hard to put my finger on it. I still think its great though.

When House got off his medication he wasn't the complete A-hole that he originally played in the series, which was a big selling point. I think that was really the moment when the television series shifted, it was still great either way. Medical dramas are my all time favorites regardless.
Stargate SG-1
Doctor Who
M*A*S*H
Trailer Park Boys
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
"In a state of physical balance and security, power, intellectual as well as physical, would be out of place."
- H. G. Wells, The Time Machine
"
Avireyn wrote:
Maybe I should try Dr Who some time. I just have no idea where to start. At the very beginning? At the re-boot? A specific number?

At the 2005 reboot. Larges portions of the earlier series episodes got damaged sadly. :(

Here's a nifty watch order if you're into that sort of thing:

http://www.zizzoff.com/2010/06/13/my-doctor-who-torchwood-viewing-order/

I skipped out on the Sarah Jane Chronicles though.

Some of the shorts/mini-episodes are hosted on YouTube (legally, by BBC or one of their accounts anyway... And by other people if you don't mind the whole legality thing XD).
"In a state of physical balance and security, power, intellectual as well as physical, would be out of place."
- H. G. Wells, The Time Machine
Last edited by Sairven on Dec 10, 2012, 1:11:26 PM
Buffy
Seinfeld
The Wire
The Twilight Zone
Breaking Bad
"
Sairven wrote:
"
Avireyn wrote:

At the 2005 reboot. Larges portions of the earlier series episodes got damaged sadly. :(

Here's a nifty watch order if you're into that sort of thing:

http://www.zizzoff.com/2010/06/13/my-doctor-who-torchwood-viewing-order/

I skipped out on the Sarah Jane Chronicles though.

Some of the shorts/mini-episodes are hosted on YouTube (legally, by BBC or one of their accounts anyway... And by other people if you don't mind the whole legality thing XD).

Thanks a lot, that looks like it's a nice list I can use for my first glimpse into the Whoniverse. Given my love for most things British, it's really quite amazing I haven't found the time to get to know the Doctor yet.
12/12/12 - the day Germany decided boys are not quite human.
Okay, so I introduced my sister to Game of Thrones last night. Finally. She HATES Lord of the Rings, loved Pillars of the Earth (..confusing...) and was completely put off by the scary/violent prologue to GoT. Once she got past that, things were pretty peachy but after the first episode ended, she didn't jump straight into episode 2.

This is an extraordinary human being, clearly. Instead, she just asked me questions. Lots of questions. I've no doubt she'll fire up episode 2 soon enough but rewatching episode 1 with a newbie really drives home just how much there is to take in in that first hour.

__

During the same chat, I realised I still can't say which is a better show: GoT or The Wire. I wasn't a big Wire fan until recently. I liked the first season, but the second's switch in mode and setting was jarring. I finally got over that and watched all five seasons a few months ago. I think it may be the best tv show ever made, but probably not my favourite. It's like Citizen Kane or Ulysses -- you recognise the genius but don't necessarily feel the need to ENJOY it more than anything else.

So I'll make the call once GoT hits five seasons. Until then, The Wire is the best tv show I've ever seen...and not even in my top five.

__

Regarding Doctor Who: As noted, start at the 2005 reboot. Doctors Nine and Ten are basically The Doctor in a post-Buffy tv world: gone is the stuffy, intellectual narrative -- in is the hip, Whedon-style banter and emotional emphasis. As for Doctor Eleven, I'm a massive fan of Steven Moffat's cleverness but even I'm starting to realise that he shouldn't be running the show. He should just be writing awesome episodes here and there.

I'm actually off to the Symphonic Spectacular this weekend here in Sydney (I already saw the one in Melbourne earlier this year), because one of the strongest points of Doctor Who right now is its music. Full orchestra and choir blasting out Dalek terror and Gallifreyan majesty. It's fucking awesome, it is.

I would say the only tv show with comparably influential music would be BSG. To this day I kick myself for turning down an interview with Bear McCreary for a site I used to write for.

Yet to see a BSG concert, too. :(

Edit: that viewing list is clever. I skipped TSJA, and Torchwood is extremely touch-and-go. The first season is bloody terrible, but after season 2 things kick in and the third season, a mini-series called 'Children of Earth' makes it all worth the ride.

__

On the topic of Steven Moffat, his 'Sherlock' is fucking brilliant. Glad to see both stars are going places, too. Admittedly, that place is right now Middle Earth, but still. That's awesome.

__

Breaking Bad...well, how we remember that show will depend entirely on what happens next year. It's probably the best-written, tightest tv show I've seen...ever. Mad Men is decadent fun, The Walking Dead is alright (sorry, not as into it as I should be...yet) but Breaking Bad is the show that keeps AMC in serious rivalry with HBO in my opinion.

__

Homeland is just really, really intense.

__

If you're into psychological stimulation, there's a little show that aired on HBO called 'In Treatment' in which Gabriel Byrne played a psychologist. Each episode is 20 minutes long and cycles through a working week: a different patient each day of the week. It's probably the most intense show I've ever seen, minute for minute.

__

We've just cleared halfway through season 2 of Buffy. The DVD quality is still crap and the scoobies are still in High School, but you've got Spike, Dru, Ethan and Oz in the mix now. Things are starting to kick in.

__

Avireyn: if all things British are your poison, I have a mini-list:

Being Human
Skins
Misfits
Downton Abbey
Life On Mars/Ashes to Ashes (these two have some nice connections to Doctor Who, actually).

___

In case you haven't noticed, tv shows are my 'hobby'. I believe the best of them are the new literature.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Futurama
Breaking Bad
Walking dead
Doctor Who
Grimm -Because I'm rigging TD on the show lol, have to watch it.
Sons of Anarchy
MonstaMunch: "You're just jelly because you can't afford to mirror my rod. It's 100% reel."

GooberM: "How does that not warrant a good ol' stabby-stabby?"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info