Build Feedback - IR/CI/VP/Crit Dagger ST

I always really liked the Shadow crit-dagger CI builds from back in the day, but I could never stand to play them because Lightning Strike is just such an awful/boring skill. Now that Spectral Throw is in the game though (and is amazingly awesome/fun) I'm thinking of trying something like this in Nemesis:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgAA8pebXaiaWlJKyD8nKk0VIOssLOmSzUWW3Q2sR31bW6-S8xjbTioZhnTxKaXKSiFgb57DOkCggwmbte9ORnEZiii1tAzhiPsJKjiTJzQKHar22hzcV8k3ZhqPf8YBbyymEZbBxaKjPI6m6w5IVupwuyy_7BiIQsHzhEg3g-OEpzQFfen-hq7DbZAbbRlciuq6iGu5fBXXcFY74TY9tvfXhpoT4vely5maES9WY9vUpysM8utjBbWH27TFFr_C7JfQKwrz6kcGVvXBAHBSX2q5Ptsa224Qe33j9Uu-Og==

The idea would be to use a dagger+shield with gems something like:
Spectral Throw + LMP/LL/ML/CritDmg/CritChance/ConcEffect/AddedFire/PC on Crit (haven't decided 100% yet, but probably some combination of those)
Double Strike + Multistrike/Faster Attacks (or whatever else for single target)
Reduced Mana + Grace + Disc + Whatever the highest level Clarity I can maintain (would love to squeeze in Purity but it would be difficult without a ton of +mana gear AND Alpha Howl)
Critical Weakness and/or possibly Warlord's Mark
CoDT + Tanky Stuff
Blood Rage

Stack ES/EV on gear and go to town.

I think it looks pretty strong and HC/Nemesis viable, not to mention fun, but I do have some concerns:

1) Mana is definitely going to be a problem. There are big fat zero +regen or +mana% nodes in this tree so I'm thinking +mana and/or mana leach are going to be a necessity on gear

2) CI is notoriously difficult/expensive to build to be viable in any HC league (and for good reason) Fortunately, Scion starts next to that big life wheel so I would probably put 12 or 15 points into that as I was leveling up and then spec out of it when I went to CI. It's not bad, but it's still much less life than I am typically comfortable running with that late into the game.

3) Passive Points are absolutely at a premium since I'm going so far out of the way to get IR and VP (and just in general for that matter) The "final" version of the build is 110 points, and there isn't a lot of fluff in there. It would be pretty strong at max level, but it needs all of those points to really work optimally so I feel like leveling will have a lot of LONG and TEDIOUS stretches where I'm not really getting anything useful. As I see it, 25-40 or so will be pretty much all +10stat nodes until I can get IR+Charisma, then it will be another 10 levels of +10stat nodes up to the Nightstalker cluster, and THEN I'll have to start getting into a position to switch to CI which will mean a bunch MORE +10stat nodes to make sure I can be in place to get all of the important CI nodes all at once. So basically, I guess, leveling something like 20-70 is going to suck, but after that should be pretty much all good stuff. LOL

4) Considering how amazing Inner Force is on a build like this, I would REALLY like to fit it in, but it's hella far away and would be pretty much actually impossible without stripping out useful stuff or leveling to 100.

5) Low Strength. I think my gems will mostly be green and blue, but I will still probably need to get a good amount of +Str on my gear to compensate. There is one +30 node off the path, so that could help if needbe, but I really don't know if I can spare the point.

Does anyone have any helpful thoughts or feedback on this? Anywhere in the tree that I could shave a point or two by going a different route that I didn't think of? I feel like this could be a solid build, but it always helps to get a few more pairs of eyes looking.
ign: weaklygdlk
"Charge chicken is dangerous, they are master of killing me." - fasknifer
Last edited by ThirstyGhost on Nov 6, 2013, 1:37:39 PM
What if I ran:
ST + LMP + Crit Chance + PC on Crit + Cast on Crit + Cold Snap

Has anyone done something like this? I feel like it would be pretty hilarious with Cold Snaps just flying around everywhere.
Iron relex without unwavering stance is a NO NO. its like a bird without wings
raider op
I don't really see why that would be the case. True the combination of the two is better than either by themselves, but the only real synergy they have is that the negative aspects of the nodes are the same. I see it more as a "you might as well take both" scenario rather than it being a requirement.

Actually, if you wanted to say "US without IR is a nono" then I could get behind that since not being able to evade is potentially devastating since it makes all gear with evasion unusable. On the other hand, IR doesn't really do anything that just not stacking evasion in the first place wouldn't do to begin with. I would 100% not choose to stack evasion over armor for my mitigation stat, so endgame I would be looking at a 0% chance to evade anyways. +Evasion is in such great supply on the North and East sides of the tree that it seemed like a no-brainer to go down for IR instead of trying to stack armor against my +% passives.

If you even said "CI without US is a nono" I might give that more credit than this. Without further explanation, though, I don't buy that they always need to be taken together. As I see it, IR counters the negative aspect of US, but US doesn't really add anything to IR.
Last edited by ThirstyGhost on Nov 14, 2013, 10:48:28 AM
Since CI characters have very low health, they will get stunned very easily. Taking IR without US means you will pretty much get stunned every time an enemy attacks you due to the lack of ability to evade hits. Stun is deadly enough for CI build with evasion, without it you will just get stun-locked to death all day. You can either take US or be stuck with Eye of Chayula. Which I think taking US is a much better choice.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info