Please Help Me Die Less

Hi Friends!

I'm still kind of new to this game, and am learning as much as I can.
But I have this problem that keeps interfering with my fun. My health keeps falling below zero and I die. A lot. It is not fun.

Now,
At first when I just started it happened all the time but its starting to slow down in frequency. I currently play a level 35 Marauder and a level 35 Witch, I recently just re-rolled the Witch from a messed up build to a (will be) fire crit Witch.

Here are the builds in question:
Marauder
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQEAANTk5gHOOIsEjqecB2uU1Q9Iu-ISIY8jFgj2HRcVF9YgEqJuMZNJ9zbRK1pFjzw3bypPGnhNAbqKhXQ9i8kED5DeByyY9YarmbdXsptvQkqiN6h2qHgte6nblmq06odbu4pAGbxH3uDA5lhvy9UXz82xIFfRND3X0z_we9SLxKvVjIP03wMV1OMraEXw3Uh0-d6QCPrOpZo=

Witch
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQMABaqbVQcmypYNMSecILkVpyF52noi2ntuMuq57DbrxVQ9LksVP3hcnj-eX01JRzicTTO-q1XIbMBWJRf_YEcEyWISGhZjOr_IZaSHCXcAFgl8hsoZgqopxIOIsqqIgaM6kGlTJZYcZWqZJrjlmS1ht70hu1bEsyd5xiETAsq5vZHLQR0RzcpmY-ukIknt17l49Tm6j_iTG5z9mG3T

I'm using the best equipment I can find, but I keep dieing in Act 2 Cruel, on both characters. In fact, I kept dieing on my Marauder so that's why I went with Witch. When the Witch kept dieing I re-rolled her. The only way I can survive is if I play maps I'm very over-leveled for. I have a hard time surviving on maps I'm 2 levels over :(

Any tips for a newbie?
I read the forums, and have watched several PoE youtube videos but it just boggles my mind that people can play the way they do on YouTube. Without dieing, that is.
You did not mention any skill/support gem´s here so I guess it is rather hard to tell.

Imo just playing calculated and carefully does the trick though.

Last edited by kapitankapusta on Dec 3, 2012, 11:38:01 PM
Wish to die less?

Grab more HP.

Basically you have none
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
Wish to die less?

Grab more HP.

Sad truth. Seems HP > all.
Even on the witch get HP if you're dying on her (probably means you're having trouble kiting, getting high runspeed boots might help you out a lot as well). Later on when you have good enough Energy Shield gear you can respec out of the HP nodes and get CI.
i'd say just grab CI now depending on your items because it can sometimes do more than just life. if you have masses of granite flasks then definitely grab it. otherwise play smart, move alot, and don't rage too hard

glhf
So many build ideas... no time....
if you use minions ( can get 4 by taking the node near start) they will help keep monsters off you , decoy totem also is helpful, or fire spell totem

Mostly regarding the marauder, but some of this is generally applicable.

Apart from the HP suggestions, keep your resists high.

Consider using granite flasks, enduring cry, temporal chains, enfeeble, totems, summons, blind (if you have a bit of evasion), cold damage.

For active skills, consider molten shell and sweep, they have good defensive properties (if you're not using them already).

I know a lot of this is probably circumstantial, but you have a bunch of imo near worthless passives for leeching, I'd trade those straight up for HP and some damage (especially resolute technique). You can use life gain on hit and later life leech gems and you can get lots of leech from items.

It's also incredibly hard to say what sort of killing efficiency you have without knowing skill and support setups, this is also vitally important, if you kill things fast enough they can't hurt you.
Thanks for all positive feedback!

Here is my skill set up:

Marauder:
Heavy Strike (+added fire damage) for bosses/single targets
Ground Slam (+ stun + life leech) & Sweep (+life on hit +melee damage on full life) for AoE - my Sweep tooltip hover-over says it does more DPS but I heard this is inaccurrate.
Warlord's Mark
Rejuvenation Totem

I did take a lot of regeneration nodes because when I first started building him I didn't realize Life Leech was a gem, and thought it referred solely to passive abilities.

Play style is to heavy strike single targets that are close, ground slam those far away, and sweep the mobs that rush me like monkeys and spiders.

Witch:
Fireball (+chance to ignite +increased critical damage), main single target
Firestorm (+fire penetration +blind), AoE
Flammability Curse before Each Attack
Summon Zombies
Summon Skeletons
Grace
Discipline (I usually cast discipline then change the hot key to summon skeletons)

I didn't take any HP on the witch because I was planning on going CI. The thought didn't even occur to me to take HP and then respec later. Playstyle is to fireball single targets and when there is a group to firestorm from afar - they usually burn up by the time they get close.

I was doing fine until Act 2 Cruel, specifically in Chamber of Sins - had trouble on both characters with the Spark Mages and Necromancers. I went in first on my Marauder and when he couldn't do it I switched to the witch. It seemed like there was a huge spike in difficulty.

Group play for both characters is usually fine. Problems arise when solo-ing. It just takes a really long time because I have to do one at a time, and whenever I think "ok I'm just going to run straight to the exit and ignore everything" more often than not I'm swarmed and die.

As a side note - whenever I start a new character I start on Hardcore before being moved to Default. Highest I ever got in Hardcore was 18 on a Marauder. I'm new to the ARPG genre, so I'm hoping that some of this is just getting used to the game mechanics and style.
Last edited by govaguy on Dec 4, 2012, 10:17:04 AM
Apart from the things mentioned so far.

I would suggest you get and add melee physical damage and faster attacks to your main attacks.
Prioritize your weapon in terms of expense, get a really good one. Prioritize life mods on most other items, it makes a big difference, but don't skimp on resists.

Auras too, hatred+reduced mana is pretty managable, at the very least, there's also wrath, anger and haste.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info