Quantin's CI Power Charge Perma Freeze Totem Build

Hey guys, I dont care about which character but since Scion is new I just wanted to make this build for it, as you can see the passives go to shadow and witch starting points so you can do this build with all three. The aim is to basically perma freeze everything and since you will be weak, let your totems take the damage.

(You can play around the build according to your gear, giving up some crit nodes to get more es, spell damage etc...)

HOW THE BUILD WORKS
Since totems can't get any power charges I didn't take Ancestral Bond.I think this also adds to the fun. Cast your totems, curses. Use your diamond flask then spam ice spear with power charge on crit. As you get more power charges, your totems will deal more critical strikes. (No need to re-cast the totems.)

Bandit rewards;
Normal: Skill Point
Cruel : Skill Point
Merc : Power Charge

THE USE OF UNIQUES

Soul Mantle(chest); Get it when you can, very big dps increase.

Void Battery (wand); Void battery is expensive but you can have 8 power charges with void battery and that will give you +%140 spell damage. (Not even mentioning crit chance and cast speed bonuses)

Windscream(boots) or Doedre's Damning(ring); So you can apply 1 additional curse, also not necessary but very helpful.

The Taming(ring); Great resists, damage boost and chance to freeze. Perfect for the build.

Voidbringer(gloves); Really good if you can manage your mana.

Rathpith Globe(shield); A really good shield for this build.

***You can use Void Battery and a shield or Void Battery and another high spell damage wand according to your gear and playsyle OR swap between shield and wand according to the difficulty of the map.***
(although for HC players, I reccomend using a shield at all times.)

SKILLS / LINKS

***(Chest) - Freezing Pulse + LMP + Faster Casting+ Crit Damage + Cold Penetration + Faster Projectiles
(Till you get a Soul Mantle, you can just swap a Spell Totem with Crit Damage.)

***(Gloves) - Ice Spear + LMP + Power Charge on Crit + Faster Casting
(You can swap LMP with Cold Penetration during boss fights.)

***(Boots) - Faster Casting + Frost Bite + Elemental Weakness + Lightning Warp
(Lightning warp as a move around skill.)

***(Helm) - Cold Snap + Culling Strike + Rarity + Quantity
(for boss kills)

**If you think you need more survivability, you can screw this boss kill links and just use Cast on Damage Taken + Molten Shell + Enduring Cry + Increased Duration

***(Wand) - Increased Duration + Bloodrage + Conversion Trap
(Use conversion trap to be used on elemental reflect rares if you think you can't handle them.)
(Since you're CI, bloodrage has no negative effects but the 15% cast speed is pretty good and you'll be sharing those with the party.)

***(Off Hand) - Reduced Mana + Discipline + Haste or Clarity
(You can alternate between auras according to the map, the party or your gear.)

Curses;
For dps, use Frostbite, if in party with other elemental damage players use Elemental Weakness and for soloing with totems while not critting much in the early game, you can use Temporal Chains.

Flasks
***All flasks with the mod Charge on Crit***
MANA 2x -mod- remove bleed/shock/frozen
Granite -mod- extra armour
Diamond -mod- extra crit chance
Quicksilver -mod- extra movement speed/remove frozen

Leveling;
Just get all the hp nodes around the build first. I reccomend leveling with Freezing Pulse and switch to the actual build and respec into CI at around 50-60 when you have the needed ES gear.

Why Freezing Pulse over Ice Spear

I choose FP over IS because;

---------------------------------FP-------------------------IS-----

Base Damage(at lvl20)----------182–273-------------------157–235
Base Cast Speed---------------0.65 secs-----------------0.85 secs
Base Crit Chance-----------------%6-------------------------%7

FP has more damage and cast speed but 1% less base crit chance.

IS has incrised chill duration but that is not important because the aim is to freeze.

FP pierces thru enemies IS only pierces in the first form, then gains 600% incrised critical chance but no pierce.

In my opinion, the build has lots of crit chance, and uses 8 power charges to make sure FP crits alot, so with faster base cast speed you are going to be critting pretty close to what IS would crit in 2nd form.

Now IS pierces only in first form(no crit bonus), FP pierces all the time.

And finally the fading from FP is no problem if you are using quality FP and quality Faster Projectiles so enemies dont need to be face to face with the totem to be more damaged. So with Q FP and Q faster projectiles, you would get about the same damage as IS in mid range and more damage in close range.

Because you would be freezing costantly, you dont have to worry about totems dying so you dont need to place them far away from melee mobs.

Ofcourse if you are using a build that is not focused purely on freezing then IS is the better option. But for this build, you will freeze more with FP then IS and get better dps.

I will keep updating the build if I find improvments as I play it.

Please let me know what you think of this build and please leave a comment if you have any suggestions about skills, supports, uniques and anything else in general. :)

I hope you all enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed making it.
IGN: Quantin
Steam: Testy31
Last edited by mukavva on Nov 10, 2013, 10:01:07 AM
Any suggestions people?
^
^
You can still build power charges with Ice Spear despite dealing no damage (Ancestral Bonds).
"
ugeowhopwr wrote:
You can still build power charges with Ice Spear despite dealing no damage (Ancestral Bonds).

Ty, I didnt know that, but I think the build is better as it is rather then 3 totems. I have to test it to confirm which one is better.
don't like FP totem :/ i'd rather have is totems
"
steelykx wrote:
don't like FP totem :/ i'd rather have is totems

I choose FP over IS because;

---------------------------------FP-------------------------IS-----

Base Damage(at lvl20)----------182–273-------------------157–235
Base Cast Speed---------------0.65 secs-----------------0.85 secs
Base Crit Chance-----------------%6-------------------------%7

FP has more damage and cast speed but 1% less base crit chance.

IS has incrised chill duration but that is not important because the aim is to freeze.

FP pierces thru enemies IS only pierces in the first form, then gains 600% incrised critical chance but no pierce.

In my opinion, the build has lots of crit chance, and uses 8 power charges to make sure FP crits alot, so with faster base cast speed you are going to be critting pretty close to what IS would crit in 2nd form.

Now IS pierces only in first form(no crit bonus), FP pierces all the time.

And finally the fading from FP is no problem if you are using quality FP and quality Faster Projectiles so enemies dont need to be face to face with the totem to be more damaged. So with Q FP and Q faster projectiles, you would get about the same damage as IS in mid range and more damage in close range.

Because you would be freezing costantly, you dont have to worry about totems dying so you dont need to place them far away from melee mobs.

Ofcourse if you are using a build that is not focused purely on freezing then IS is the better option. But for this build, you will freeze more with FP then IS and get better dps.
Last edited by mukavva on Nov 9, 2013, 11:58:48 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info