Reclaimed wood project (Updated)

"
txfirefighter wrote:
"
TheWretch wrote:

I can make this

You sure are the arteest!

its not for a lack of trying believe me..but ya im not that great :p I do love me some art though
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
"
ionface wrote:
I hope you are aware of the dangers of reclaimed wood, a lot of pallets have dangerous treatments done to them and are unsuitable for reuse.

wikipedia quote:
"
HT is the code for heat treatment to a minimum of 56°C (133°F) for a minimum of 30 minutes
MB is the code for methyl bromide fumigation.

Watch out for MB, never use pallets without the IPPC logo, always wear a mask or respirator when woodworking.

Edit: I can see in the first picture that your coffee table was heat treated, but believe me that some of those pallets are non-recyclable garbage.

Man, I didn't want to know this.
I reused some extremely old pallets to build a rabbit/turkey house (neither animal do I have now because of coyotes) anyhow, I never thought the wood might have been treated in a way that I should use it for such purposes.

That pallet wood is so old an left to weathering that I broke many screws trying to put it together it was ridiculous. Things out here don't rot, they petrify.
I'm not the crafty type but what you guys are doing is freaking great.

Keep posting pics of your work, inspiring stuff.

"Withdrawing in disgust is not the same as apathy"

Not the kind of wood one would expect to see on the internet.

Too ordinary.
(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.
What were you expecting?

I got some Eastern Black Walnut you can have. Also Hickory, Oak, Pine, Spruce, Elm, Birch, several types of Maple and who knows what else. (I've never actually seen my entire property. It's mostly heavy woods) Want some? Come on over and cut it down.

Edit:
Spoiler
I live about a mile east of this bridge.
Posted the finale.
"Man, it's like we're fighting housewives and their equipment." - Millennium
Oh man that is so damn sexy.

Will you coat it?
You can be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world,
and there’s still going to be somebody who hates peaches.
Thanks!

Probably so. Two slats have paint on them and the coating I looked at said all paint must be removed.

I sanded for a while on those and barely made a dent.

Will be going to Home Depot to ask them soon.
"Man, it's like we're fighting housewives and their equipment." - Millennium
Last edited by txfirefighter on Nov 7, 2013, 11:27:23 PM
Great stuff!
"Withdrawing in disgust is not the same as apathy"

I see someone is watching a particular youtube channel about woodworking and likes the designs shown there. Good stuff but I prefer Steve Ramsey.
Be ready. You're not paranoid, you're PREPARED.

I quit this game every few months and so should you to continue playing it in the future.

The device is believed to have been dropped

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info