Throw some music bands at me!

I've signed up for one of those music subscription services, and the recommendations they frequently give are terrible. I'd rather get them from random strangers on the Internet.

I'm not looking for any specific genre. I listen to them all.

I am looking for "recent" bands (say, past 5 years maximum) that could be considered (by you, personally; not critics) inventive for their genre, or are creatively hilarious with their lyrics ala Bill Bailey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LdjVtHqNxs, and aren't platinum sellers, top 100 billboard, on the radio, or otherwise something anyone would stumble upon crashing someone's college party or watching a movie trailer.

So, exilers, toss some music bands at me. Let's see if you can do better than these algorithms telling me I should check out Hans Zimmer.
Here's some off the top of my head.

Tame Impala: Aussie stoner rock, 2 albums so far and both have won rolling stone album of the year.

Hermitude: Again Aussie (I'm an Aussie and it's what I tend to listen to). Laid back beats, perfect for background music.

I'm a electronic music fan, these are a few that I've listened to lately: Flume, Flux Pavilion, Timo Mass, Swedish house mafia.

Aussie hip hop: Bliss n Eso, Horrorshow, Spit Syndicate, 360, Illy.

There are many peeps here who love metal, but I'm not one of them.
"Withdrawing in disgust is not the same as apathy"

I am way too lazy to link stuff, but here's a few bands I dig-

Murder By Death (not as heavy as it sounds)

Mogwai

Sigur Ros

If you're into heavier stuff-

Poison the Well

The Dillinger Escape Plan

Iwrestledabearonce

And my all time favorite band (just in case you never heard of them)-

Nine Inch Nails

All the things I want to remember are in the places I'd like to forget.
The Protomen
Every album and song is based on mega man

Kamelot
Little Pretty Thing - 3 Typen

The Dirt - William Honda

Day of the Revenge - Man and Birdman & Giallos Flame

Me Aborrezco Cada Vez Que Llego Tarde - Onda Bidon

Lusitania - The Cromagnon Band

Oh and if you don't mind your music a little electronic(y) or chiptune(y) then check out _ensnare_ I like their Tech Switch album.
Last edited by Miphradates on Oct 31, 2013, 9:29:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F6SiecvLaQ

Great band name and song names.

Oh and the metal legend Matt Burlow did release a new album, kicks ass.

Ashes of Ares
The Bog Men.
Luke: Sorry we have to leave you here, but it just ain't right to eat your wife's and daughter's brains. Plus you're really disgusting and I don't want to spend anymore time with you.
Nice post

Ok... here goes.

Chvrches (has an 80s pop feel but way cooler.)
Two Door Cinema Club (alternative/indie)
Ronald Jenkees (instumental/electronic)
Crooked Still (blue grass/celticish)

Fitz and the Tantrums
Franz Ferdinand
Purity Ring
The 1975
Young the Giant

Those should give you a start for thats type of bands. Most are Indie. Some are on the radio but nothing top 40.

"Man, it's like we're fighting housewives and their equipment." - Millennium
The Dear Hunter - The wiki description of their sound really doesn't do them justice. Easily one of my favorite bands of the last 5 years. They combine a lot of different genre elements and had one of the most interesting concept type Album series I've had the joy of stumbling upon. (Maybe 2 years older than your time frame but they just released a new album!)

IGN: aMonsterTruck

Because I'm Based.
Not recent but... I like it when I'm in the mood...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEmShlH_RmY&list=PL888F6CD355EA75B7&index=3

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info