2H Spectral Throw Build Single Target?

I see quite a few builds out there for Spectral Throw Scion, where the single target DPS ability is Double Strike.

My question is - why Double Strike? I just recently started using Heavy Strike instead, and it does quite a bit more damage. 150% Damage, and 5% per level physical damage increase, and 0.75% attack speed per % quality!

Compare to 70% x 2 = 140%, 4% increase per level, and 0.5% attack speed per % quality for Double Strike. Worse across the board. Not to mention it lacks the Stun reduction.

I realize that in Kripp's build, he starts as a Ranger and has low access to Strength nodes so leveling the Heavy Strike gem is annoying at the beginning, but as a Scion particularly if you go for Resolute Technique the opposite is true.

Is there any good reason to use Double Strike rather than Heavy Strike? The only reason I can think of is if you hate the knockback - it can be a bit annoying with Multistrike?
Now that you mention it I would love to know the answer to this as well!
IGN: Dmillz
You mean people use something other than St as a single target skill? I have mine LMP'd, and it's really the only attack I use.

Like FP, you can get the same target with multiple projectiles, multiple times, coming and going.

I see no real reason to ever use another attack.
"
shoju wrote:
You mean people use something other than St as a single target skill? I have mine LMP'd, and it's really the only attack I use.

Like FP, you can get the same target with multiple projectiles, multiple times, coming and going.

No you can't. It has been specifically programmed to NOT shotgun on the way out. It is still possible to hit with more than one projectile on the way back sometimes but I find this happens fairly inconsistently. With the damage reduction from LMP if you have the same amount of sockets on something like Heavy Strike or Double Strike those skills should hit noticeably harder. That being said ST still makes a good single target skill and is very nice against anything you don't want to be within melee range of.
Its a personal preference, I am using heavy strike-melee-fire, it reaches 12k dps with auras more than enough for single target.
IGN: Kebehsenuf
I just thought of another reason to run Heavy Strike, armor. Double strike hits twice quickly, Heavy Strike hits once very hard. Usually armor isn't a big factor on most mobs but some bosses that do have it, Heavy Strike would be more efficient against.
Last edited by Dmillz on Oct 30, 2013, 1:18:26 PM
"
Dmillz wrote:
"
shoju wrote:

No you can't. It has been specifically programmed to NOT shotgun on the way out. It is still possible to hit with more than one projectile on the way back sometimes but I find this happens fairly inconsistently. With the damage reduction from LMP if you have the same amount of sockets on something like Heavy Strike or Double Strike those skills should hit noticeably harder. That being said ST still makes a good single target skill and is very nice against anything you don't want to be within melee range of.

Then the build of the week video is wrong. It specifically states that it is GMP'd, because of the ability to shotgun.

The only skill I know of that is specifically coded NOT to shotgun is EK.
Last edited by shoju on Oct 30, 2013, 1:58:20 PM
"
shoju wrote:
[
Then the build of the week video is wrong. It specifically states that it is GMP'd, because of the ability to shotgun.

The only skill I know of that is specifically coded NOT to shotgun is EK.

Correct. Chris talked about it after the video was made saying that they changed how it works so it couldn't do that. Edit: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/542555
Last edited by Dmillz on Oct 30, 2013, 2:03:23 PM
Son of a.... I completely missed that in the post.

Well, then I guess I'm running another Scion to town, so that I can get another ST gem.

EDIT:

Didn't seem to be an issue with Piety in Normal, but, I have legitimate concerns about going into Dominus in A1 of Domination. Playing completely self found is proving to be a real PITA. 1100 HP, and Caliga ate my lunch this morning after the "nerf" to her damage. It was pitiful how fast I got destroyed.

Though, I'd sell my soul for them to give better gem selection to the Scion throughout normal. I am ready to take on Dominus, and scared out of my mind, because I haven't been offered LGoH or LL yet.
Last edited by shoju on Oct 30, 2013, 2:10:13 PM
Caliga's burst damage was worse than Dominus when I cleared Normal, although that was pre-nerf.

But yeah, I feel you - you can use Warlord's Mark to help a bit though.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info