Wild daydreams: Independently developed offline version of Path of Exile?

So, obviously, GGG will never add offline support for Path of Exile. And, obviously, tinkering with the game files is against Terms of Service and would get you banned yadayada.

But Path of Exile has lots of players. Lots and LOTS of players. What if one (or more) of those players happened to be
-a well-intentioned, non-malicious, non-greedy hacker
-a game developer
-a devoted fan of Path of Exile
?

Surely there would be some way to extract art assets from Content.ggpk, and the rest would basically be a reconstruction of the rest of the game from scratch, since GGG is so transparent with most mechanics.

Yeah, okay, the drop rates wouldn't be accurate.
Yeah, okay, it would be several years before the game would be even CLOSE to resembling the real deal.
Yeah, okay, it would be theft of intellectual property, I think. Terms of Service are legit things, man. But in my daydream, white hat hacker is such a good person that he either spends his own money on it, or only asks for enough donations to keep up server costs, which would be really low ($120 a year maybe? Depending on demand) and he would be really transparent about such finances (posting receipts etc.)

But think about it. ZERO DESYNC forever. The ability to test out any build instantly without having to farm or trade for items, if you're okay with cheats in single player games. Infinite character slots; infinite stash tabs. And the best part is - it doesn't directly hurt the "real main game," because the game code would be rebuilt from the ground up, meaning there's no way dupes or hacked items could leak into the real main game. Did I mention zero desync forever?

Of course, it's incredibly unlikely that someone would meet all three criteria I listed above, meaning there's basically zero chance that this would ever happen. And there is one massive disadvantage if something like this did, unthinkably, happen: GGG would lose money on microtransactions because of significant numbers of players switching to offline POE instead of playing the real deal.

Still, it's a nice daydream, since in daydreams you can ignore those two massive disadvantages, because hey, it's a daydream.

The only way I could see a chance in hell of something like this ever happening is if a group of hacker/developers approached GGG about this and asked, somehow magically got their permission, and somehow put in restrictions for cosmetic MTX, character slots, and stash tabs. But what kind of crazy do-gooders would want to recreate Path of Exile from the ground up? It would take at least three years to get a functioning, if not accurate, replica up, I feel.

Should I be banned for this post? lol, a guy can dream. A guy can dream.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info