Phase run was mandatory period. They removed it and added Quicksilvers, which are debatably mandatory based on build.

Guess which of those two things is healthier for the game.
IGN - PlutoChthon, Talvathir
"
ariantes wrote:
I think avatar of Fire needs specific builds. Obviously, it works great with infernal blow. In addtition, skills that convert a part of the damage to cold damage can work if combined with cold to fire.

Is this obvious? As I understand it, Infernal Blow already converts most of your damage to fire, so what would be the point of pairing it with AoF?
IGN: ThisShadowAlreadyExists
"
Attic wrote:
"
ariantes wrote:
I think avatar of Fire needs specific builds. Obviously, it works great with infernal blow. In addtition, skills that convert a part of the damage to cold damage can work if combined with cold to fire.

Is this obvious? As I understand it, Infernal Blow already converts most of your damage to fire, so what would be the point of pairing it with AoF?
Taking aof with an infernal blow build is a large dps loss. Even if you pick up every fire passive on the tree (making you non viable as a melee), I don't see the damage surpassing non aof.
"
fELonius1 wrote:
Taking aof with an infernal blow build is a large dps loss. Even if you pick up every fire passive on the tree (making you non viable as a melee), I don't see the damage surpassing non aof.

You do know physical damage nodes will still affect it? Fire nodes aren't a very point-efficient option unless you want to max on corpse explosion effect. And you saw the effects of making WED gem scale with all damage you do firsthand?

Damage output is awesome, if that combo has any problems at all it's the necessity to use leech gem.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
AoF can be awesome
dmg conversion stacks so AoF + IB = 100% physical dmg to fire
you can now stack physical dmg only ( much stronger and better notes in the passiv tree) and on top of it you can combinate melee physical dmg ( more dmg multiplier) and WED (more dmg multiplier as well)

ps: the more dmg modifers will be addative to each other before they scale with your dmg,but 100% more dmg instead of just 50% more dmg is still alot for just 1 gem more
Infernal Blow = AoF = 100% if your Physical Damage is converted into Fire Damage

This is beneficial for a few reasons,

#1 You Benefit from both Increased Physical/Increased Elemental damage (Galvanic Hammmer, Catalyse, etc)

#2 You can use both More Weapon Elemental and More Melee Physical on the same skill,

1 x 1.5 x 1.6 = 2.4

(This is of course assuming you arent using facebreakers, As unarmed doesnt count as a weapon)

#3 Your damage is no longer mitigated half by armor, half by resistances. Letting you now use Elemental Weakness/Fire Penetration/Flamability/Etc to great effect.

The first two i believe many people realize at face value once they figure out how the conversion works. But the third point is absolutely not to be underestimated. *Especially with Infernal blow, since you can now scale your Attack + Explosions together, with minimal effort.*
"
Attic wrote:
"
ariantes wrote:

Infernal Blow converts 50% of your physical damage into fire damage. AOF converts the remaining 50% into fire damage, for 100% fire damage.

Previously, the best scaling for IB would be physical melee damage, since you use 100% of that, only half is converted into fire. Both increased fire damage and increased elemental damage would have their effectiveness halved, as they would only affect the 50% fire damage converted from physical damage.

AOF and Infernal Blow allows you to stack %increased physical damage additively with £increased fire damage and %increased elemental damage. This obviously makes it stronger when supported by Added Fire Damage gem. Fire penetration, Flammability or Elemental Weakness will further enhance the damage. Hatred aura and further linking your IB to Cold to Fire will add even more damage.

The biggest problem with the AOF Inf Blow build is that you have literally ONE skill. You cannot use any other attack, and you will probably need 1 IB for AOE (IB, Melee Splash, Added Fire/WED, Multistrike on the most basic 4 link, adding a Melee Physical Damage and maybe a ColdToFire if running hatred), and 1 IB for single target (IB, Melee Physical, WED, Fire Penetration).

On top of that, your gear choices are limited by how you want pure physical damage and no flat elemental damage mods. %physical damage and %elemental damage mods on top of that.

And then you cry when you meet elemental reflect because you literally cannot do non-fire damage.
reflect isnt such a big deal
the maximum reflected dmg can be 33% (15 from raremob aura + 18% map mod)
these 33% will be reduced by your resi
0.33*(1-0.xx) if you have caped resi without increased amx resi from arua/unique or flask its 75
0.33*0.25=0.0825
which means you take 8,25% of your dmg with normal caped resi in the worst case
its not that hard to reach 4k+ life on an str based charr so you would have to do
atleast
4000 (your hp) : 0.0825 = 48484,84... dmg to kill yourself
if you have lifereg and lifeleech and increased max resi this number gets much much higher

dont froget that the explosion from IB (10% of the mobs hp when it dies isnt your dmg! you dont leech from it and you dont have to deal with it reflect)
Last edited by ciel289 on Nov 15, 2013, 3:26:39 AM
AoF is only damage loss if you don't understand how damage conversion works in Path of Exile. If you do understand it, all it does is enable all kinds of new options in terms of support gem damage multipliers and passive choices.

However, that doesn't explain how AoF is good for the game, it merely explains how it is not underpowered. The reason why it's good for design is that it turns "+x% increased Fire Damage" into "+x% increased Damage, period." This allows new kinds of builds which eschew the conventional boundary between attacker and caster; for example, you could use Infernal Blow with Endurance Charge on Melee Stun to fuel your Discharges. That's both new and interesting.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Hi!
I want to ask regarding the gem Endurance Charge on Melee Stun
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Endurance_Charge_on_Melee_Stun

If I use IB and AoF, and the Fire damage from my Melee skill is enough to Stun the target, would I get Endurance Charge?

Or even if I don't have AoF, how it calculate the damage from IB (50 Physical 50 Fire) to Stun and get Charge? It combine both/all damage or by type of damage?

(I will post in skill feedback as well, just asking here while reading this thread)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info