Cast on Crit

It's good for Trash-Farming until Level 80. But after that you can't really progress with this build. Because every Boss can kill you easily. I don't think they'll nerf it, because THIS Gem makes D3 so casual...
I have a level 80 Quill Rain Cast On Crit build and invested a lot of time and about 40 exalts on it. About 30 of them is spend on a 6L Quill Rain. That's the only unique I have.

Every other piece I have is concentrated on crit chance (if the item can hold crit chance), life, crit multiplier and elemental resist. Those combinations on rings and amulets are expensive. On other items crit chance is non existant. Defense for elemental resist is maxed out after spending good currency on clothing.

The passives are centered around life and crit chance. Most on crit chance. 4100 life on a lvl 80 is low and dangerous. I die a lot running 72+ maps. Most of the times on psychical resist (from ethereal knives), corrupted blood (having +10 bleeds within 30ms is a bitch), exiles or 6 magic devourers popping up all on the same time.

The positive side of the build is having around 100k dps, but it comes in waves and it is unpredictable. Another aspect that it is graphically fun to watch and to play.

The negative side is defense, the build is expensive and not really relyable.

Mana is not an issue with 3% mana leech from one passive and one item. The leech comes from Ethereal Knives. So no thief's torment is needed.

I do not wear a voll's because the defense is extremely sucky on higher levels. Instead I use a chance to get a power charge on critical strike gem. Life Leech is needed in order to survive. With barrage and cast on crit there is only place for 2 other gems. Thats EK and Arc. Arc shocks nicely so EK can do it's job.

I do not use a multiple projectiles gem. I can not handle the mana usage and the overall dps does not increase much.
My Quill Rain has a 42% base chance to crit. After critical weakness and 4 power charges it is around 60%. Thats good. Lower than 35% crit chance makes this build suck. You really need at least 50% (thats 1000% increased crit chance!) to have some fun.

Overpowered? I would not say so. Yes I have killed Piety within 2 seconds, but this build will never see Adziri. I doubt I will ever play +lvl75 maps using this build.
Can someone please explain the following simple question to me? Let's assume a multiple projectile attack, for example split arrow.

When i crit with all 3 arrows, do all of them have a chance of casting the linked spell? Even more, if i link chain can i potentially cast 9 spells if i'm really lucky? Or each crit attack can cast only ONE of the same spell no matter how many projectiles you attack with?
This is the most fun skill in the game and I hope to see more like it in the future.
Wouldn't it make sense to cap proc rate of CoC by the cast rate of supported spells? You know, to balance this broken support...

"Then why use CoC", you ask? Because it would still be a valid choice to bypass mana cost of spells and proc many spells from a single attack.
Last edited by Thalandor on Jul 15, 2014, 10:47:43 AM
why there is NO any info, that it is not activated by critical spells?
why can't i built a CoC witch?
Last edited by allrandom1 on Jul 17, 2014, 4:12:29 AM
"
allrandom1 wrote:
why there is NO any info, that it is not activated by critical spells?

The description explicitly states one can only trigger Spells via Critting with an Attack. It's the single most obvious location, and it's all right there.
i am a softcore and casual player
i don't differ attack and spells; i "my" world spell is an type of attack
and i don't want to browse wiki or whatever to play the game

why can't i have some pleasure from the game without knowing all the "secret" mechnics?
Last edited by allrandom1 on Jul 19, 2014, 12:52:45 PM
That's no secret mechanic, every skill lists it's keywords to show you exactly what it is.

Keywords: Lightning, Spell, AoE, Duration /// Spell -> doesn't trigger CoC

Keywords: Attack, AoE, Melee /// Attack -> triggers Coc
Sorry Exile, but your loot is in another dungeon!
IGN: Delirii
CoC overpowered for farming... no other builds dishes that much burst dps in s short period on little budget, please apply at least some cooldown like 1s or smth...ridicolous dps output...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info