Cast on Crit

"
"
NagiSoi wrote:
"
azmodael wrote:
The AoE damage potential of CoC is simply insane - check out the cyclone EK/Discharge videos circulating around and you will see why it needs to get toned down. I am using spectral throw with GMP and my clearing speed is comparable to that of... say an LA archer. If it were to be nerfed to one spell/attack or on cooldown it'd be completely destroyed.

One reflect mob and those are dead, plus i think that cyclone build used ek on damage taken aswell. Potential dmg is very good vs bigger groups against smaller sizes dps drops down into crap numbers tho. And dont forget you need very high crit, spell power, high att speed, and other stuff to do lots of damage. Very point heavy build.

I 100% agree on the point heavy part. There is no way you can have any reasonable hp/es with a CoC build because you need to spec into every god damn thing. Accuracy, attack speed, weapon crit chance, spell damage, on top of mana (unlike CoDT) CoC isn't free and that 140% mana cost does apply. Then you need the typical defenses like HP/ES/Res. Not to mention those tend to be all over the place and forcing you to waste alot of points to get across. Unless you have legacy koam or ES equiv armor you are pretty much glass canon.

One cast per attack skill is even more retarded than a hard cooldown. You are basically using an attack that only give you roughly 50% chance (very generous estimate after factor in 2/3 proc chance of CoC and your weapon crit chance/accuracy) to cast a 2 socket less version of a spell, while having less passive to work with than a traditional caster...completely retarded.

If they have to super nerf it because of QQs or FotM streamers, make it a smart cooldown. Something like make CoC proc maximum of 4 times per second. Basically its a hard cap on the damage CoC can pump out, so people with 100 exalts of gear can not abuse it but those who are running with far modest budget can still make good use of it.

Its much smarter than a hard cooldown because RNG can screw you over and make CoC not proc at all for a second or two. With a smart cooldown you could get multiple procs immediately after to help you leech back the damage you took during bad RNG moments and keep you alive. Whereas if they set a hard (retarded) cooldown, you will get at most 1 proc every 250ms even after a series of no proc, this is not enough to upset the damage you took aka. your character is likely dead.

A smart cooldown also balance builds that stack like 4 EKs with CoC. Basically it is still useful because with a Crit you have 4 chances to CoC EK, so you will always proc some EK, but you still can not proc more than 4 EK per second, giving it a hard cap not and letting the user shoot 10 EK a second and destroy everything. Stacking multiple EK is still useful with a smart cooldown because each EK still give you an additional chance to proc, so you are much more likely to reach the CoC smart cooldown cap than someone with just 1 EK linked. This in turn let you have lower crit chances and still reach the max cap, letting the user put those passive points elsewhere at the expense of using additional sockets.

Thoughts?

I still think any kind of cooldown wuold ruin this build bit too much. 4 times per second aint gonna give you that much dps because normal ek users can cast it 2times per second with roughly 10x the dps and without a chance to cast, they always cast or so (i've seen ek's dps go to 20k's and even higher), meanwhile your ek has smth like 1-2k damage (with high investments) with a chance to proc. It would nerf coc ,maybe not into oblivion but it would hit it hard.

The most balanced nerf i was thinking about was: you can only have two spells linked to it (2 ek's , 2ice spears or w/e) nerfs 6links power (rich players), but doesnt nerf the poor players that much.
Last edited by NagiSoi on Nov 11, 2013, 4:51:25 AM
This gem is super fun. I stopped playing PoE about 2 months ago but this gem made me start over again with a new build. I really hope that they do NOT nerf it.

My gem setup:

Flicker Strike
Multistrike
Cast on Crit
Ice Nova
Added Chaos
Life Leech

(i also use bloodrage for the Frenzy charge regeneration and extra attackspeed)

Will post a video on reddit when i get all the gems up to lvl 20.
Last edited by ShinoRagnar on Nov 11, 2013, 6:55:53 AM
"
NagiSoi wrote:
"
NagiSoi wrote:
"
azmodael wrote:
The AoE damage potential of CoC is simply insane - check out the cyclone EK/Discharge videos circulating around and you will see why it needs to get toned down. I am using spectral throw with GMP and my clearing speed is comparable to that of... say an LA archer. If it were to be nerfed to one spell/attack or on cooldown it'd be completely destroyed.

One reflect mob and those are dead, plus i think that cyclone build used ek on damage taken aswell. Potential dmg is very good vs bigger groups against smaller sizes dps drops down into crap numbers tho. And dont forget you need very high crit, spell power, high att speed, and other stuff to do lots of damage. Very point heavy build.

The most balanced nerf i was thinking about was: you can only have two spells linked to it (2 ek's , 2ice spears or w/e) nerfs 6links power (rich players), but doesnt nerf the poor players that much.

4 times a second is just an arbitrary number, it can be adjusted up or down depending on the power. The point is it will still make CoC useful or at least viable, whereas something retarded like 1 proc per attack skill will completely destroy all builds except quill rain bow builds and give people even more reason to stack 4 EKs because you gotta make that 1 proc count.

Right now this skill is being abused by people with over 100 exalt worth of gear, they have 100% chance to crit, 0.2 attack speed, 90+ accuracy and koam/900+Es level gear for defense instead of passives. The said "build" spread on reddit and people overeact and call for instant nerf hammmer.

Whereas people who have only a couple exalt to their name barely manage to make it work compare to let say a LA spammer.

This is all because of lack of upward cap on the support gem, letting the user scale up to infinity with $$$. Many other strong gems have only so much support you can run, before you run into severe mana problem/inefficient dps/mana cost. By putting a upward cap on the gem, but without changing the gem itself, you can both balance the gem for the rich and still let your average gamer have fun.

IGN Vermillionillusion
GMT-4, usually 8-12 pm
Last edited by thinkingofaname on Nov 11, 2013, 12:03:06 PM
GGG, please don't nerf this gem. It is the most fun and rewarding gem out there and you are really dependant on a 6 link.
I just geared up my character and i am getting 1 shotted by physical reflect with no way to counter it which balances the strong damage(Build requires too many points to be ES+Vaal pact)
Does this gem work with Ranged Attack Totem?

Ex.) RA Totem - Split Arrow - Cast on Crit - EK (or any other spell).

If ra totem's split arrow crit, does it cast ek?

I did try it out and doesn't seem to work... but i might have done something wrong.

Anyone tried it out with totems?
Looks like there is no nerf to this gem and it was just a rumour
"
Grzybas2 wrote:
Looks like there is no nerf to this gem and it was just a rumour

I am glad, since almost any kind of nerf would totally fuck up this gem.
I still find this gem not very useful if you don't have 6l items. I would more prefer a setup that may trigger the gem independent of linked attack skill so whenever you do a crit, it triggers. As balance, GGG could reduce the possible trigger to only one skill of a kind, so no more multiple skills of the same type.
I wanted to use Cast on Crit just to cast some curses and maybe some armor if my Ranger does a crit. But I can't use this skill because it does not work if not linked to an active trigger skill that crits. Bad.
"
Fusion_Power wrote:
I still find this gem not very useful if you don't have 6l items. I would more prefer a setup that may trigger the gem independent of linked attack skill so whenever you do a crit, it triggers. As balance, GGG could reduce the possible trigger to only one skill of a kind, so no more multiple skills of the same type.
I wanted to use Cast on Crit just to cast some curses and maybe some armor if my Ranger does a crit. But I can't use this skill because it does not work if not linked to an active trigger skill that crits. Bad.

That could work on cast on melee kill but would kill off coc for most coc users...Amd would be bit too much since having some random spells trigger everytime you crit with anything is bit too much.
Last edited by NagiSoi on Nov 12, 2013, 7:26:02 PM
"
Ludvator2 wrote:
Any current plans on changing its mechanic to be "per attack" instead of "per hit" ?

edit: or plans on adding cooldown to it?

Id like to build around this gem so it would be great to know..

Any of those would be stupid as fawk since it would reduce this gems usability by shit ton mega wats.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info