Question regarding charges mechanics

I was wondering if there are any planned changes to how charges work in game? I haven't played in a while, but the way I recall it worked was that some skills would give you charges when used, but other than that and some very rare equipment, there wasn't any other way of getting them.

The problem I see with the charges is that they seem almost mandatory to get, as they are so powerful, but at the same time they can really force you to make certain changes to your build that you don't want to. There are so few skills that generate charges, and you are forced to use at least one such skill even if you don't like that skill, if you want to be able to generate charges with your character.

For instance, I have a hard time seeing how I'll be able to generate endurance charges effectively in pvp once it is implemented, if the only way to generate them is using Enduring Cry and Warlord's Mark.

Are there any plans to make changes about this, like for instance all strength based skills generating endurance charges, all intelligence based skills generating power charges and so on, and then maybe nerf them a bit also so that you're not automatically behind if you choose not to get passives that allow you to have more of them?

This is just one example, I realize that the above suggestion might make it too easy to generate charges. Maybe there could even be a support gem that would allow any skill to create charges based on the type of skill gem it is connected to.

Maybe it's just me, but I find it very annoying that I'm forced to spam 1 or 2 skills (for each charge type), in order to generate charges, and I really hope there is something planned to change this.

Then again, maybe I've simply missed a dev post or thread discussing such changes, in which case I'd appreciate it if someone could point me to it!
Last edited by Teaboar on Oct 23, 2012, 10:17:51 AM
I agree that there aren't enough ways to generate charges. I'm sure the devs at least have some good ideas for things to try with charges, such as the rather recent change of having them pay off cooldowns on some skills. I'd like to see more interesting things like that.

I definitely don't see them as mandatory in any sense. They're good for nearly every build, but they're often not worth the cost in regards to the passive points or the gear/skills needed. It all depends on your build, though.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
I think it wouldn't be too much asked to at least have one offensive and one defensive ability per charge type that would be able to generate charges. Currently the only charge type I consider interesting to get are frenzy charges, and that's because I like the frenzy skill. I find this unfortunate because overall I like the idea of charges.

Considering how popular builds that are built around charges are, I'm surprised that more people don't find the current charge generation mechanics lacking. Having said that, I suppose it makes sense that GGG focus' on things that more players want if that is indeed the case.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info