Rushing in order to avoid over-level drop penalties

"
MeltingPoint wrote:
"
BRavich wrote:
No harm done.

Has GGG touched on this issue though? Are people just going to farm level 58 areas for currency?

I'm still a little confused as to what your looking for, answer wise.

Do you think its wrong to farm in lvl 58 areas, or are you saying you want more areas to farm or what?

I am saying that the drop penalty is a bandaid over the problem that doesnt fully address the real issue.

The real issue is that GGG seems to have created a currency system that unconditionally favors grinding low level areas. Now matter how the drop penalty is tweaked, that fact will remain the same.

When I look back on Diablo 2, I see a wide variety of places to farm. Shenk, Countess, Andy, Tal Rasha Tombs, Summoner, Council, Meph, Diablo, Nihlathak, Baal....

I would hate for a system to be implemented where it is only efficient to farm 1 or 2 of those areas at a given level.
IGN: Iolar
seeing as currency drops are absolutely horrific, i see no real issue anymore with being overlevelled.
I, as a player, just like to clear every zone I enter. Once I enter, I want to kill every mob in there. Compound this with accidental instance resets, redoing instances in act 2, and I gain a lot of XP.

As such, I often end up overlevelled by Vaal ruins by about 2-3 levels. Now, my character is just about to begin Cavern of Wrath at level 36 (recommended level: 32). This seems fine, but over time the gap just widens. My old character before patch qq (now deleted) was level 44 when beginning ruthless.

It seems unfair that I am punished by lower currency drops due to wanting to kill every mob. Furthermore, if I want to go and farm a bit, my level increases even further and I get an even higher penalty. My solution to this was originally to party with another player to mitigate the penalty, but eventually, thanks to the 50% XP boost, by the time I start soloing again I'm even MORE overlevelled than before -.-

Perhaps a solution for players like me would be to remove all currency drops penalty the first time you enter a zone? So, if we're just following the storyline and that's the best place we can go so far we do not get a penalty for currency drops. The XP penalty is fine IMO, it stops me from getting too overlevelled.
I have never played Diablo 2 or Diablo 3...

I have played FATE and it's successors, though, and I'm told it's similar to Diablo.
I think it's dumb

and an area should always drop the same currency even if you are 100 levels above it

its like

just cuz I beat up a baby, does that mean I cannot take his candy because I also am not a baby? Nay! I can beat up the baby, take his candy, then beat up his mom, and take her candy.
"
ChooJeremy wrote:
I, as a player, just like to clear every zone I enter. Once I enter, I want to kill every mob in there. Compound this with accidental instance resets, redoing instances in act 2, and I gain a lot of XP.

As such, I often end up overlevelled by Vaal ruins by about 2-3 levels. Now, my character is just about to begin Cavern of Wrath at level 36 (recommended level: 32). This seems fine, but over time the gap just widens. My old character before patch qq (now deleted) was level 44 when beginning ruthless.

It seems unfair that I am punished by lower currency drops due to wanting to kill every mob. Furthermore, if I want to go and farm a bit, my level increases even further and I get an even higher penalty. My solution to this was originally to party with another player to mitigate the penalty, but eventually, thanks to the 50% XP boost, by the time I start soloing again I'm even MORE overlevelled than before -.-

Perhaps a solution for players like me would be to remove all currency drops penalty the first time you enter a zone? So, if we're just following the storyline and that's the best place we can go so far we do not get a penalty for currency drops. The XP penalty is fine IMO, it stops me from getting too overlevelled.

+1

Even not killing every mob in each zone forces you to speed past certain areas or have absolutely ass for currency items, for instance Game starts you clear to hillock, head into next zone after town, it doesn't pay to kill anything here because you are already lvl 3, and you still have to kill hailrape and the necro... shit needs ironed out.
Now presenting! Venom ink; malice in the pen, poison on the paper, anger in the mind.

Brought to you by Dat LLC, in partnership with Harassment Industries.

*Disclaimer* No actual products are being sold, shipped or presented. *End of disclaimer*
Last edited by DarkNRG on Oct 25, 2012, 12:30:07 PM
"
BRavich wrote:
The real issue is that GGG seems to have created a currency system that unconditionally favors grinding low level areas. Now matter how the drop penalty is tweaked, that fact will remain the same.

How so? By grinding low level areas, you get fewer currency drops/monster than from an on-level enemy, and all the items are going to be shit.

And, well, D2 honestly wasn't much better in this specific scenario. If you're farming for *currency*, any area with fat packs that's high enough level to drop, iunno, level 50 runes is fine. You don't farm currency from Shenk, because he rarely drops currency in the first place. What you do instead, is farm item drops. In high level content. Just like in PoE.
Hm, I just rush as fast as possible to merciless then start farming, low ilvl items aren't even worth the effort to obtain.
S L O W E R
I kill everything I see on my way to completing all the quests and I'm typically 4-5 levels above the area. I think progression will probably be tweaked such that we're not always over-levelled. That's not really something to worry or complain about too much.

What if white maps had a small IIQ bonus for currency dependent on their level?

I like the idea of a first clear having no penalty.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info