Battle Text...Damage Numbers...WHENNN!?

I understand that it may annoy the people at GGG to see little numbers pop up on the screen. But there should at least be the OPTION, especially for when players are testing out new passives or items it really helps the player ot make strategic decisions when they can see exactly what damage is being taken and recieved.

For the people who made this game, I understand that you've internalized all the math and the equations so you just have a gut feeling of what is going on simply by looking at stats and passives but for those of us who have NOT looked under the hood, it isn't so intuitive.

So before realease. Consider putting the option for verbose battle text in the area where chat pops up. And also an option for numbers to show up on the screen, preferably color coded by element.

Every RPG since Secret of Mana that I've ever played has had this feature, no... since Dragon Warrior 1 !!
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I'm not sure it's coming but can we please get like a test dumbie to test for PVP? I'm so sick of having to go into PVP so my friend's can hit me and test their damage. I'm happy to do it but there has to be a better way.
Finished 17th in Rampage - Peaked at 11th
Finished 18th in Torment/Bloodline 1mo Race - peaked at 9th
Null's Inclination Build 2.1.0 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1559063
Summon Skeleton 1.3 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1219856
An optional damage log wouldn't be bad.
Want to Fix the Economy, Bad Loot, Trade and Legacy PvP? pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/548056
Open Letter to Qarl on Crafting Value pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/805434
Biggest Problem with Mapping: Inconsistent Risk to Reward pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/612507
Wait, when did Diablo have this feature before III came out?
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
I want this too
"
BearCares wrote:
I understand that it may annoy the people at GGG to see little numbers pop up on the screen. But there should at least be the OPTION
No, they shouldn't.

The more information the player has about precisely how systems work, the sooner the mystique of the game fades. Using these kinds of methods to pin down the exact strengths and weaknesses of monsters doesn't increase the replayability of the game, it diminishes it by allowing players to "solve" the problems of "which strategies are best" too quickly.

The current system of "does this kill the monsters or not? about how fast does it do it?" is just fine and should not be buffed.

Now of course you think you want this. From the player's perspective, the point of the game is to solve it, and this would be another tool in your toolbox for doing so. If I could get it, I wouldn't be able to resist the temptation, either. But the journey is more important than the destination, and this is something GGG shouldn't give us.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Oct 19, 2013, 6:41:22 PM
They've already stated that they will never give us this option a very very long time ago. Just as Scrotz says it will in fact give players the ability to see just how effective they they are and this is unacceptable. MMOs do it all the time and it turns everything into a hardcore numbers game. Specifically speaking as a person whos played games like EQ, WoW, SWTOR etc, eventually you are min-maxing and looking at conversion charts and checking them vs other charts and its bullshit. So no, this should not happen, ever.
Chris hates damage numbers (for all the right reasons). That's not saying they will never be an option, but don't count on it anytime soon.
Disregard witches, aquire currency.
"
Rusery wrote:
They've already stated that they will never give us this option a very very long time ago. Just as Scrotz says it will in fact give players the ability to see just how effective they they are and this is unacceptable. MMOs do it all the time and it turns everything into a hardcore numbers game. Specifically speaking as a person whos played games like EQ, WoW, SWTOR etc, eventually you are min-maxing and looking at conversion charts and checking them vs other charts and its bullshit. So no, this should not happen, ever.

Are you telling me that the top players aren't doing this already??? Of course they are!!! How on earth do you think they appraise the value of items when they are buying/selling/crafting? You don't think people are blowing hundreds of exalts crafting daggers WITHOUT min/maxing number crunching?

The only people who are in the dark on the effectiveness of their builds are...the people who are too casual to WANT to be crunching numbers in the first place. I played Final Fantasy, and Borderlands just fine WITH numbers and battle text and I never min/maxed or pulled out spreadsheets even once!
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
No, they shouldn't.

The more information the player has about precisely how systems work, the sooner the mystique of the game fades. Using these kinds of methods to pin down the exact strengths and weaknesses of monsters doesn't increase the replayability of the game, it diminishes it by allowing players to "solve" the problems of "which strategies are best" too quickly.

The current system of "does this kill the monsters or not? about how fast does it do it?" is just fine and should not be buffed.

LOL, SERIOUSLY?
That's EXACTLY what I want, I see no reason what's wrong with that. Make it optional and let players decide to use or not to use floating combat text. I want to see and analyze my damage, that's why I play these kind of games. ;)
It's pretty hard to stand in PoE when you are playing solo and do not trade. A little bit of help would be pretty neat, I'm not an hardcore pro-gamer or theory crafter, it's no threat to have these numbers.
Sadly, GGG seems to concern about the more pro gamers that really can take advantage of these numbers in general. And again, we "small" players have to suffer from this.

Thank you, Kripparrian.... -_-

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info