Hear Me Out: More (Random) Dungeons

One feature I would like to see is random side-dungeons making their way into the game.

How it would work:
1. Dungeons appear randomly in large open areas and are marked in such a way as that it's clear they are optional. They would only appear about 50% of the time in certain areas.
2. Dungeons either can offer a quest (that grants a rare item), a big monster at the end, or a big chest at the end.
3. Dungeons can use any dungeon tilesets that are relevant to that part of the game. The dungeons would be highly randomized and perhaps have different fog, lighting effects, colors, and monsters than their mandatory quest counterparts to offer variety and atmosphere.

Why I like this: more is better. You can make the random dungeons have higher or lower levels than the areas they're in, too. It wouldn't hurt the game, it would just add variety and make players feel less like they're on autopilot when they're twinking a character. Playing through Act 2 for the 20th time might be more rewarding with some surprises like this.

The rewards would be simple (rares, drops) and wouldn't greatly mess up the game's balance. You can get rares anywhere, after all, and most people often do. What's more, with the map system in place it's easy to guess that this would be a fairly possible thing to implement, and it would act as a huge QoL boost to the game. It also wouldn't replace the map system, due to its randomness and its lack of customizability, and of course high level maps would be needed no matter what.

Perhaps there may be some downsides I haven't considered. I'd love to hear what others think!
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
sad bump
Great idea!
Give a man a fish, and you can feed him for a day.
But give a fish a man, and you can feed it for a month.
Of course it's a good idea. I'm just not sure GGG is unaware. Rather they've been focusing their development elsewhere. There's plenty they could improve with regards to replayability. Random side quests, random side areas, random challenges/events, rogue exiles that want something other than to kill you, etc. I suspect though this is on GGGs long list as there's many lowering hanging fruit for the time being.

If you make a more specific suggestion it's likely to get more attention. And GGG does read these forums, so they will definitely read this. Stiff upper lip.
Want to Fix the Economy, Bad Loot, Trade and Legacy PvP? pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/548056
Open Letter to Qarl on Crafting Value pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/805434
Biggest Problem with Mapping: Inconsistent Risk to Reward pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/612507
Last edited by Veta321 on Oct 19, 2013, 8:17:59 AM
I also suspect that this will come in the next season. This season it is shrines, next season it is probably something like this. Still, I think fans have a duty to politely occasionally voice their desires or the developers won't be well informed. I think this is a good fit for a new league, like the rogue exiles were in anarchy. Now those are in normal and hardcore and the game is better for their presence. I assume the same will become of the shrines.
This sounds kind of cool but I think an argument exists that this kind of content is covered with maps. What say you?
If areas in merciless had a chance to spawn a doorway to a random map of the area tileset, would function, I think.

Only if the area was scaled of cource, no point going end-game difficulty on poor folks at the start of Mercy :P
"
Nonethewiser wrote:
This sounds kind of cool but I think an argument exists that this kind of content is covered with maps. What say you?

It isn't, because you have control over maps, and maps are endgame. This would exist primarily to spice up the process of getting to maps. There are ways we can make it distinct from maps.
"
AltimaNZ wrote:
If areas in merciless had a chance to spawn a doorway to a random map of the area tileset, would function, I think.

Only if the area was scaled of cource, no point going end-game difficulty on poor folks at the start of Mercy :P

Why only in merciless? I was thinking more like from the start of the game.
Interesting idea. To take an idea from Torchlight, have a portal appear randomly in certain areas (most likely the areas that have longer de-load timers), that loads into a level appropriate flat Map (no affix/suffix), and put a reward/boss at the end.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info