In Anticipation to level 28 PVP

Flasks not regenerating is a real game changer. A flicker strike + diamond flask might get you an instant kill, but that's one less slot for a recovery flask which can mean 3 or 4 extra heals over the course of the battle.

Can't wait to see all this theorycrafting hit the arenas.
Up to 365 on the upper end of main hand damage now... and when my bow is finally a 4l, I'll have 999% crit mult exactly, pushing me up to 3646 base damage per critical strike.

Someone told me the current PVP damage scaling is set to 0.22. I'm not sure how true that is, but if it is, then I will be doing 802 damage before damage reduction. Quite a significant drop in damage - it makes me wonder if it won't make speccing into damage for PVP absolutely worthless. But on the bright side, 802 damage per shot is pretty darn good consider the possible range of max life at level 28 (somewhere between 600 and 1600 life, I imagine, is normal), meaning, I need to only make 2-3 shots with my flask active to kill someone. And of course, this damage calculation doesn't take puncture's bleed or burning arrow's burning damage into account!

I can't wait to try this out.

To gauge how much damage I'm doing, I can 5 (sometimes 4) shot normal Vaal right now, or basically in 2 diamond flasks.
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
Last edited by anubite on Oct 26, 2012, 10:16:35 PM
edit: the place where this breaks down is, I don't think you can get above around 35% chance to evade in pvp. It'd be pretty challenging. I'll edit in some more realistic numbers. edit 2: done.

Did you know that evasion rating can negate your diamond flask? I'm pretty sure it can. The crit roll succeeds, but the second evade can still succeed too. I'm pretty sure I've seen this happen (diamond flask failed to work, on a character with bad acc rating).

If someone has:
- Reasonably high chance to evade your attacks (say 25%?)
- acrobatics and block (assume pendarus, 48% block)

... you could be looking at about a 29% chance to hit. Now even when you pop a diamond flask, if I'm right, only 22% of your shots will crit. It's actually a bit of a speculation. From the mechanics thread,

"
Malice wrote:

Evasion also gives a chance to avoid critical strikes. If an incoming critical strike succeeds its hit roll, a second hit roll is performed to determine if the critical is evaded or not. This second roll is the same as the regular hit roll above (accuracy vs evasion). If this roll succeeds, a critical strike is scored. If it fails, the attack still hits, but only for regular damage.
Critical strikes from spells cannot be evaded.

Suppose you can fire five shots during that 1.8 second crit buff. You have 30% odds of not landing a single crit. Each diamond flask is good for one use during the whole set of 5 matches (is this true?)

With two diamond flasks, if you somehow manage to root your opponent or he stumbles straight into your stream of arrows, you're likely to average about two crits per entire set - against an evasion character with block and acrobatics.

In the timespan of two diamond flasks (3.6 sec), if you can fire ten shots (a bit of a stretch at level 28!), and against someone with high evasion/acro/block like above:
- 23% chance for one crit through whole set (78%^9 * 22%^1 * 10c1)
- 30% chance for two crits through whole set (78%^8 * 22%^2 * 10c2)
- 22% chance for three, 11% for four, 4% five, 1% six.
("10c2" is "number of 2-combinations from 10", wikipedia "combinations" for a formula)

... odds are you won't get many crits against another evader. So at best, I'm betting crit builds will be situational. But you might be right; this line of thought is more about me thinking evasion will be the best defense.

Now, I just have to figure out how much accuracy rating level 28 players typically have, so I know how much evasion rating I'll need....
Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Like an elephant in the forest.
Last edited by Zakaluka on Oct 27, 2012, 11:36:21 AM
True, evasion can downgrade my critical strikes, but I agree, getting over 35% evasion, at level 28 at least, seems a difficult task, especially when you consider I'm a ranger with a decent dex pool, adding to my accuracy.

I agree some of my crits will be evaded or downgraded, but most evasion characters have lower life pools than their armor counterparts. They're sure to have lower life pools really, because evasion-based builds don't get all that much access to life increases by level 28.

Armor is far less effective against massive critical hits, so I think evasion is the better defensive type to use against my build.
So, anubite, how do you think you'd fare against a lvl 28 evasion build with 72% Block Chance(including Tempest Shield), 20% Dodge, and 2x Evasion vs Projectiles? 35% Evasion may not seem like much, but with Arrow Dodging it becomes 70%. Crit multiplier is great and all but if you can't hit your target how great is it really?

There's no doubt you'll be powerful what with the numbers you've provided, but I definitely think you can be shut down with a eva/block/mobility build. In 1v1 arenas, I think you'll do quite well for yourself even against high block/eva characters at least in the first couple rounds. After that.. it's anyone's guess. In 3v3, you better have some good teammates that got your back.
Last edited by FaceLicker on Oct 27, 2012, 1:11:13 PM
I have no idea how I'll fare. The first thing I'd ask is... how exactly do you have 72% block chance at level 28~, but even provided that you do, chances are, you don't have much health as a result. Which is fine, because my unique bow gives me a free second arrow. I can just spam poison cloud and whittle you down even if you block the arrow.

But even if you have 72% block chance and okay evade chance, all I need to do is land one critical strike and that just be it for you, especially if make you burn up all your potions in the first round of fighting. I certainly won't waste mine, as I'll be using 5 diamond flasks :P and I'll want to keep them for sure bets that I won't miss my shot.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info