Question about totems and charges

At maximum charges, my character usually runs 5 Power charges + 5 frenzy charges. I also use a Spark totem to shock monsters.

My question is the following : If I cast my totem when I’m at maximum charges, will my spark totem benefit from the +250% crit chance and 25% casting rate from the charges ?

I would think so since the spell-totem is supposed to be casting with the caster stats.

The other question is what happens if I lose my charges while the totem is still activated ? Will it keep the boosted statistics from the charges ?
Shadow : Covenant Pulser (504561)
Ranger : 12 charges Frenzy Archer (65154), Dual Claws Elemental ST (709126)
Witch : Self-Cast Arc Tanky Witch (770185), AoF EK/Bear trap (863970)
Templar : Frenzy + AB/Fireball "Cast on Crit" Wander (611200)
Marauder : Death Oath Staff User (498864)
The totem uses your skills but doesn't get your buffs. I don't know actually, but since the buffs are effecting your skills, and if the totem is using your skills, it might be indirectly utilizing charges then.
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
Mark said about totems that we shall treat it just like you cast from somewhere else.
This means that buffs can wear off for totems as well.

You can easily test it:
Pop a diamond flask, cast totem, if all hits are crits for the whole totem lifetime, it doesn't wear off.
Second test is pop the diamond flask after totem has been placed.
http://www.roadatlas.eu
"
prawda wrote:
Mark said about totems that we shall treat it just like you cast from somewhere else.
This means that buffs can wear off for totems as well.

^This. It works exactly like it would if you were casting Spark yourself :)
For ranged attack totem there is an exception. If you combine it with frenzy it does not produce charges for you. I guess it is the same with enduring cry..
http://www.roadatlas.eu
"
prawda wrote:
For ranged attack totem there is an exception. If you combine it with frenzy it does not produce charges for you. I guess it is the same with enduring cry..

This means one of two things:
- you can get double charge effectiveness on a totem (it uses frenzy, gets 3 charges, you use frenzy, increasing the aspd of the skill it's using)
- charges on totems have no effect

Going to need a dev to confirm this.
"
pneuma wrote:
"
prawda wrote:

- you can get double charge effectiveness on a totem (it uses frenzy, gets 3 charges, you use frenzy, increasing the aspd of the skill it's using)

Going to need a dev to confirm this.

I think i've read somewhere that the second one is true, but i'm not sure...
Proud 5th duelist in the Jul 1 2012 Ladder Race and in the Nov 3 2012 Solo Turbo Race :D
And even prouder 4th Templar in the Nov 10 Four-hour Party Hardcore Race :P
Current OB success:
top 20 Ranger in 105 Minute Turbo Solo (S4E9)
Charges on your character affect totems. At least it shows up on the dps and attack speed on your character sheet.

"
Mitch420 wrote:
Charges on your character affect totems. At least it shows up on the dps and attack speed on your character sheet.

Yes, charges you can gain affect your stats and thus the skills that totems cast for you.

As far as I can tell totems can't gain power or frenzy charges (when they cast Frenzy or w/e), but can gain endurance charges through Enduring Cry. It seems like a weird/inconsistent solution to me... I would either have the totems gain frenzy/power charges and affect the skill they cast, or maybe just transfer those charges to your char.

*Edit: Or remove their ability to gain endurance charges :P
Last edited by hubb on Oct 22, 2012, 5:46:01 AM
"
pneuma wrote:
"
prawda wrote:

Nope.
"
pneuma wrote:
That one. More generally, any charge or buff on a totem that affects skill use doesn't work, because the totem is using your skills, which run off your stats (affected by your buffs), rather than its own.

Buffs and charges on totems which affect things other than skill use work fine, which is why endurance charges work on totems.

Because a totem can never utilise frenzy or power charges on itself, gaining them is disabled for totems. I would not be surprised if in future totems couldn't gain endurance charges either for consistency.

Basically, totems use your stats when using your skills, and use their own stats for things that aren't skills (being hit, etc). I did a more eloquent and in-depth explanation elsewhere on the forums a while back, but can't find it at the moment and I'm tired enough that I'm not going to go looking really hard right now. Really interested parties are welcome to dig through my post history.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Oct 22, 2012, 5:45:48 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info