'supporter' titles: gimmick or money grab?

so recently I felt an impulse to donating some money to this game due to the fact we are coming out of open beta and the fact I was kind happy with the racing...

so i checked out the shop and wanted to spend 40-60 bucks on this game... as usually that's the cost of buying a game anyway...

I wanted to get 2 or 3 $20 packs instead of buying the 'supporter packs' which I am not really interested in the extra items they offer (close beta ones offered just points which was nice.. no extra money for extra stuff that I don't need... I rather get something like skin transfers and tab upgrades since the visual/pets break the dark gritty feeling of the game for me, read: useless items I will never use which cost $10 or more)

So I figured i will ask GGG if they can give me the 'open beta supporter' title (one that comes with the $30 pack) after I donate $40 or $60 bucks... which I thought was reasonable... well this where the shit hits the fan...

Rep responds with:

"Unfortunately we don't allow the separation of the pack titles like that. They are designed to acknowledge the purchase of each pack and are there to represent that you have purchased the pack. For this reason it would be unfair to give you the forum title without purchasing one of the packs.

Are you interested in the Regal pack? If you were to buy two $20 points packs we could look at upgrading these to the Regal pack for $15.00 USD, the value of the pack contents minus the points. "

hmmm $55 for a regal pack (note the upgrade would not include the points, so i will get 400 points, already in the pack and the rest of the crap for total of $55)?! well at first I thought he made a mistake because the packs cost normally $50

after clarifying that I do not want a 'regal supporter' title but the plain 'open beta supporter' after I donate $60 (double the cost of the pack, all I wanted is some recognition I have donated significant amount towards their game, not a big deal but still nice to have such recognition)... and the response follows:

"Apologies I assumed you would be aiming for the Regal pack and completely forgot about the Open Beta supporter pack. What we could do there is, say you bought two $20 point packs. We could take 100 points off the second one and upgrade you to the Open Beta supporter. I will have to get confirmation from another support member as to whether or not we could swap out the pet as you don't want it. "

and he goes again, trying to sell me a basic pack ($30 worth) for $40.. note he takes 100 points away, leaving 300 and throws in the content of the pack exactly what I get when I buy the basic pack, that costs only $30...

after this I just got upset, not being able to receive a recognition for donating $60 bucks is disappointing but he trying sell me their packs for elevated price totally deterred me from donating money, and killed my buzz completely... I was excited at first about doing it...

now you can take my experience as whatever you please... however it opened my eyes that the supporter titles we see on the forums here, do not mean shit after all since you can donate massive amount of money through buying the $20 packs consecutively and never receive the title of even the lowest tier...

edit: formatting
Last edited by Michael_GGG on Aug 27, 2014, 11:14:53 PM
Needs a TLDR. I'm happy with the way the packs are handled. You don't really get anything but the feeling that you have contributed to the game, however big or small your donation was.

I've also dealt with upgrading my pack and found it was quick and painless. I had bought a $20 pack early in the beta, a $30 recently and noticed afterwards that it was enough for a regal. $5 later I had my regal pack. That's pretty fair for a payment plan type deal if you ask me.
Everything I do I rush through so I can do something else.
I donated some money to the local theater and instead of having my name on the list of credits I wanted them to sing a song in my honor but they decline so it must of just been a money grab.

Fight censorship
https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/
I don't see a problem with it.
I don't see the problem.

You said you wanted to spend $40 on 2 of the $20 packs, which would give you 400pts.

They offered to give you:

1 open beta supporter pack (200 pts + other stuff)
+100 pts

for $40.

That is a deal actually. Bought separately the pack is $30, and spending another $10 only gives 96 pts, not the 100 they offered.

What's the problem?
"
Mr_Bill wrote:
I donated some money to the local theater and instead of having my name on the list of credits I wanted them to sing a song in my honor but they decline so it must of just been a money grab.

the difference is that the theater would put your name in credits after you donated.. GGG will only give you title if you buy the pack... for which they tried to overcharge me... not impressed...

I have foreseen the fan bois/trolls... give me all you want... fact is a fact
I'm suspicious about GGG Support trying to sell you 30$ worth of Open Beta Supporter pack for $40.
No longer a forum dweller, please use PM for contact purposes.
"
AintCare wrote:
"
Mr_Bill wrote:

the difference is that the theater would put your name in credits after you donated.. GGG will only give you title if you buy the pack... for which they tried to overcharge me... not impressed...

You have yet to demonstrate any 'overcharge' here.

The open beta supporter packs have a price and it's clearly listed in the shop and your OP clearly shows that they offered a way for you to get it for slightly cheaper than the listed price.
"
AintCare wrote:
"
Mr_Bill wrote:

Maaan, open your wallet and pay up, boi !!

Jaysus, so much calculations and stuff...
"
ignarsoll wrote:
I'm suspicious about GGG Support trying to sell you 30$ worth of Open Beta Supporter pack for $40.

That's not what he described. He told them he wanted to spend $40, and asked what he could get that included a forum title.

They gave him an answer that gives him 4 pts more than anyone would get if they just went to the shop and spent $30 on the open beta supporter pack + $10 on additional points.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info