No enjoying this anymore

What changed? Melee Characters now too hard to play. I do not like playing ranged characters, but it seems that is all that is viable right now! Tank a Marauder? Sorry, but every boss does extra damage and the ranged magic attacks blow right past your armor. Shadow? Good luck with that. Evasion plus weapon speed equals one shot death.
Please do not tell me to use totems. I want to hack and slash, not use magic. Forcing players down a single road makes for a game that only those players that enjoy that route will play just like D3. I am not asking your to nerf any part of the game, but balance it so that tanks can play too. I had gotten a Marauder into Merciless second act before the wipe, but now starting from scratch, I pretty much can't bring myself to play enough to get anywhere. I D2 I was able to tank my Barb and beat the game. Never used any magic attacks and did just fine because the game allowed for me to have enough life, armor and DPS to hold off the worst that the game could throw at me. It took lots of time, but I never felt like I had to use certain skills or equipment. (For the record I used Concentrate for my main attack, I never cared for Whirl Wind).
I just read the first sentence about melee. I just took 8th with a melee 2h duelist. Ceto took 6th with a DW ranger and Sori3n took 3rd with my build (or a variation he said it was mine though).

Go to the class forums and read up on builds. Try a few out, find something you like and find a way to improve it.

This game clearly isn't designed in a linear path where you just do what the game says and you end OP. If you want to have a good build you have to think it through. If that doesn't interest you, sorry but it's the reason I'm sticking around and many others are as well.

Finished 17th in Rampage - Peaked at 11th
Finished 18th in Torment/Bloodline 1mo Race - peaked at 9th
Null's Inclination Build 2.1.0 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1559063
Summon Skeleton 1.3 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1219856
Here's a hint that can help you survive the Journey:

The amount of necessary damage to burn through content can almost exclusively be obtained from gear with little to no DPS nodes needed, although they do certainly help.

The amount of survivability gained from the passive skill tree cannot solely be obtained from gear, you need investment in defensive nodes.

You say tank marauders, but we need context to help you out, what do you define as a tank marauder? A marauder in armor gear with mostly offensive nodes?

Another thing, you say magic blows through your defenses, this implies that you are lacking Magic Resist. Magic Resist is INSANELY important with the new resist changes, how can you be a tank but not have magic resists?

And finally, you say you don't like to use spells and such, you realize that you are limiting yourself? There are multiple melee attacks and multiple spells that work nicely together.

I'll echo what Moosifer said, I took 7th in the hardcore '1 week race' that ended today/yesterday as a melee Duelist using Dual Strike / Lightning Strike plus an offhand bow with poison arrow. I used skeleton totem / detonate dead totem depending if I needed them for the situation. Phase run for move speed, grace/anger for auras, and enfeeble as my curse of choice. A nice variety of skills from all 3 attributes (and hell yeah I leveled my phase run!)

I'll admit, I wasn't half as tanky as I'd like to be, even with 100% defensive nodes, but I survived. The only real issue, which everyone except CI has, is Chaos Damage...

...and that armor is weaker against very strong attacks >.>.

Now what you should be complaining about is dis map system, now THAT is not enjoyable.

/forcing agenda >.>
Last edited by Waves_blade on Oct 16, 2012, 4:29:38 AM
I have to agree that melee seems underpowered to ranged combat early-game now. I started a new duelist and ranger in the new Default league, and the ranger plays much more fluent, while I was struggling with the duelist in certain Act 1 areas. However, this is not an issue anymore once I had entered Act 2 on Normal. So I assume it's just down to playstyle and the fact that this is not really a casual game.
A sword he brought, his foes to maim and rend,
from places dark behind forbidden doors,
But night by night he woke with frighten'd roars
from darkest dreams, too strange to comprehend.
(Anonymous)
Last edited by Thyrandor on Oct 16, 2012, 4:55:56 AM
Paragraphs, use them.
If you're having trouble with the difficulty, that's just the way the game is suppose to be, there's other easier games out there.
If you put the effort in, you can create a good enough build, perhaps you simply haven't made a strong enough build.
"
Jazzo wrote:
If you're having trouble with the difficulty, that's just the way the game is suppose to be, there's other easier games out there.
If you put the effort in, you can create a good enough build, perhaps you simply haven't made a strong enough build.

You're not listening to what he is saying.
IGN: Iolar
Last edited by BRavich on Oct 16, 2012, 8:50:25 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info