Spectral throw

It uses melee weapons, but does not perform a melee hit - it throws a projectile, and projectiles by definition are not melee. melee damage modifiers will have no effect, and melee-specific supports fundamentally cannot apply.
"
Gerblat wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
It uses melee weapons, but does not perform a melee hit - it throws a projectile, and projectiles by definition are not melee. melee damage modifiers will have no effect, and melee-specific supports fundamentally cannot apply.

http://imgur.com/i6aUWN2

This is a screenshot from a scion gameplay video posted the other day. If melee specific supports don't affect spectral throw, why was it supported with *Melee Physical Damage?

*Could be Multistrike, as both show up as a red M, but it doesn't look like the scion is attacking in bursts of 3.
Because that is a holdover from a previous in-development version of the skill - it was at one point (due to a miscommunication) like lightning strike, doing a melee hit, and throwing out a projectile from that. The skill was changed to work correctly being a pure projectile with no separate melee hit, but the support types that had been copied from LS were not changed in time for the build that was taken to the states. Nothing in that build was final, and much of it was unfinished.

"
Gerblat wrote:
I really hope this decision is still up in the air, because I would really like to use multistrike with it, and since it works with lightning strike, I don't see why it shouldn't work here.
It does not work like lightning strike. LS makes a melee attack, which is supportable by melee supports, and has a side effect of creating projectiles. This skill is only a projectile. There is no melee attack to apply melee-specific supports like multistrike to.
"
Gerblat wrote:
I had a feeling that it was just an old build that hadn't been changed. In that case, am I correct in assuming that the new tag for the skill will not have melee in it, but instead have just Attack and Projectile?
Correct. This actually required some re-coding of the stuff that automatically generates tags, as we hadn't originally anticipated a non-melee skill that's used with only melee weapons, but is now working.
"
Uvne wrote:
But what about "Increased Damage with One-Handed Melee Weapons"? This will still work because it references the weapon base and not the skill, right?
Correct. An Axe is still classified as a melee weapon, even if you're biffing it at someone's head from a distance, rather than using it in melee.
Three PMs for the same thread, you guys nearly broke the record. As I said earlier in the thread
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Uvne wrote:
But what about "Increased Damage with One-Handed Melee Weapons"? This will still work because it references the weapon base and not the skill, right?
Correct. An Axe is still classified as a melee weapon, even if you're biffing it at someone's head from a distance, rather than using it in melee.

"increased melee damage" will not apply, because no melee damage is dealt - damage is not being dealt in melee, but by a projectile.

"increased damage with melee weapons" will apply, because a melee weapon is being used to deal the damage. It's just not being used in melee.

This is exactly the same as lightning strike projectiles in terms of which modifiers apply.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Oct 20, 2013, 6:02:21 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info