Prove to me reality is real

Scientifically speaking, you can not prove that reality is in fact real.

Since all experiments are based in the reality we know.
You can be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world,
and there’s still going to be somebody who hates peaches.
"
Hardlicker wrote:
I would like to propose a simple experiment to prove that if it feels real then it must be.

Step 1 - I punch you directly in the face.

Step 2 - I ask you if that feels real.

Based on your response, we can deduce whether or not that felt real to you.

You could possibly base a thesis on it. Go around to random people and get them all to punch you in the face. I for one would be truly interested in your findings.

[removed by admin]
This got deep. Some of you guys are pretty sharp, others.. not so much
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
Scientifically and philosophically the idea of a fake reality is preposterous. I don't mean to rain on the parade but reality is subject to what we know as cosmological constants. To question reality is to question reason. I dare not do such a thing! Also the line of reasoning that the OP refers to seems to be of the circular variety which is a impossibility in the grand scheme of things.
There is grief in wisdom, there is sorrow in truth
Yet, the heart of the wise is in the house of mourning
And by sad countenance the heart is made stonger in time
So, I embrace this burden and weep for the fools that chase the wind
Reality is the unity of everything having the quality of being real, therefore anything that is real is a part of reality.

The real question is, when is something real?
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Sep 28, 2013, 7:22:39 PM
Most of philosophy appears to be based on the meaning of words. But heres the punchline, words are manmade constructions... and when you take it a step further you will realize that everything we say is not 'real'. In fact noone in the history of the planet has ever said anything that is the 'real truth'.
Personally, i have seen a LOT of coincidences which would infer that their is more to 'reality' than mankind currently comprehends. But this does not necessarily exclude nor imply that our 'reality' isnt 'real'.
If you are looking for deep purpose in our universe, perhaps it is there. I have found that people find what they look for. But i have also found that people look for what they expect. Perhaps the key is to focus on what you want.

For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
Something is real when you understand it to be.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Step one: define reality.

If you define it to be "all things that are real", then the argument is whether or not reality (the set of all real things) contains itself.

If it doesn't, then all real things are not real, a contradiction.

---

Overall though, I agree with Witt. Pretty early philosophy stuff. It's not provable because it's not falsifiable to the strongest skeptical position, but the ramifications of that are completely unimportant.
I could but i wont.
Reality is the unity, the sum, of all things being real.

In that way, reality = the sum of all real things = "all things that are real", is everything there is in reality, therefore the only thing reality contains is reality itself. Reality contains 100% of itself at all times.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info