Hardcore is not so hardcore?

"
Cellstorm wrote:
One thing that the transfer would allow is this.

You have a build in mind for a HC char, and are playing through the game, getting that build in place then BAM! you are dead.

Now what you have is a char that is unfinished and a few options have opened up to you are the player of that char.

You could delete it and go back and play a new HC guy/gal.

You could carry on in default league as if the HC never happened and finish the char build you had in mind from the outset.

You could 'feed the fish' and join a random softcore public game and drop all your stuff on the ground for some nice folks.

You could use the items to fund an existing softcore build idea that you or someone in your guild is working on.

Or, and this is where I think the transfer system is a really good thing. You could take the half built char off into a crazy new build idea starting from the points you have already spent, take it somewhere you would never have otherwise gone, experiment and do what this game does really well and create a unique char that probably no one else has even thought of let alone gone on to build.

The transfer is an opportunity to experience something that wasn't planned or intended, but something that could turn out to be amazingly good fun.

But having said all this, the 'Bury YourNameHere' option on death would still be a nice thing to have for those that want it.

I didnt think about that. If they do not make a ghost will give all items away and delete. Atleast make someone happy on softcore.
For HC players everything is fine.
The only disadvantage i can think of is, that the recent system could possibly damage the economy in default league.
From my personal observation, the vast majority of hardcore deaths are not due to player error. They are due to either game problems or failure to properly employ the "it's not a cheat now, it's an officially approved game mechanic Alt-F4". So there isn't a hardcore and softcore league, there's an elitist/masochist league and a "we just want to have fun" league.

From a practical standpoint, hardcore play is an entirely personal thing. You want to play hardcore, do so - regardless of league. If you're playing in hardcore league and a game problem kills you off undeservedly, go right ahead playing in default. That's what I intend come OB.

If you really want to play hardcore, don't portal pop, zone, or alt-F4 to avoid death, take it like a man when you screw up and re-roll. Of course this doesn't work if you're only playing hardcore to brag like an adolescent.

The game's support for hardcore play works great for races, beyond races not so great. No matter what league you play in normally, if you want something to brag about, win a demi!

Last edited by Omnivore61 on Jan 3, 2013, 2:39:36 PM
"
Omnivore61 wrote:
From my personal observation, the vast majority of hardcore deaths are not due to player error.

Weak statement.

I have been playing HC for months and worked up several lv 60+ chars and never, not once have I seen a death due to lag/desync. (myself or anyone I run with) I'm sure it happens, but its rare or attributable to the player taking undue risks and then getting lag.

Don’t believe me? go check out some of the live streams. there is no way thoes guys would be able to do what that do if this was such an issue.
"
smrd wrote:
"
Omnivore61 wrote:
From my personal observation, the vast majority of hardcore deaths are not due to player error.

Weak statement.

I have been playing HC for months and worked up several lv 60+ chars and never, not once have I seen a death due to lag/desync. (myself or anyone I run with) I'm sure it happens, but its rare or attributable to the player taking undue risks and then getting lag.

Don’t believe me? go check out some of the live streams. there is no way thoes guys would be able to do what that do if this was such an issue.

Practically all streamers and some HC players have high end setups and great net connections. Quite a few of us aren't so fortunate. While my connection is fast enough that I don't have many lag related desync problems I have had a couple deaths due to that. I've also had quite a few deaths due to client freeze - which I believe some people at least are also calling desync. Then add in the occasional wtf portal death. So you are one of the lucky ones, congrats on that. I've been playing HC for months as well, but never managed to get past the mid 40's due to mostly non player error related causes. Now admittedly, a few times I've been just plain stupid, although half of those could've been avoided if I'd have alt-F4'd.
I am still alive after my hardcore character dies. This is outrageous. If this were truly hardcore, the second your hardcore character died, you would go into cardiac arrest. It is so lame that I get to continue breathing after dying. You don't keep going after you die!
I am going to petition GGG.
"Danger is like jello, there's always room for more."
http://www.twitch.tv/vejita00
"
I am still alive after my hardcore character dies. This is outrageous.

That gave me the best laugh I've had all week, thank you! :)
"
Edxild wrote:
Hardcore is too easy anyway, there should be a ~2 second delay for alt+F4.

Don't understand why people are dying at all in HC even imba desycn won't get you if you pay attention.

That's the beauty of hardcore: if you cheat or bug-abuse you are only fooling yourself. Any true hardcore player would rather delete their character than use alt+f4 to escape death.
This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
If you were truly a HC player, you would know that being in SC league is actually a punishment far worse than permanent deletion. It's like failing an exam in College and waking up for juice and graham crackers in Mrs. Ratner's kindergarten class.
Last edited by Kerchunk on Feb 20, 2013, 1:43:46 PM
I delete my characters when they die. Otherwise, I don't feel like it's "hardcore" enough for me. I do with, like D3, you have the hall of heroes to see which ones you've lost.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info