Allow Disabling of Ally Auras

My build simply doesn't work with allies auras. Similarly my build's aura use doesn't comply with some builds like EA using elemental equilibrium where the anger aura procs fire resistance. Similarly using a lower level discipline around teammates causes my ES to drop every time I leave and return to a teammate's higher level discipline aura, slowly killing me. It's annoying and pointless.

Hatred breaks my build. Simply put, I shatter bodies with the minute extra cold damage, so burns do not proliferate. I also take damage from an ally's level 20 discipline. I work by doing a critical strike, causing a strong burn and causing the burn to proliferate. If I have ANY cold damage, it doesn't work, the enemy shatters on hit rendering my AoE completely useless.

FFS just have an option to disable ally aura support or when right clicking the auras, it ACTUALLY DISABLES THEM instead of disabling them for 1/10 of a second after which they get re-enabled.

gear&links
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
It's really funny that Auras are meant to be this awesome bonus for party play, but instead end up being essential for single-player, and mostly just griefing skills in parties.

Design Fail, GGG.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
This is an old topic, but its a good one to dig up again. EE (and apparently some other builds, like your crit burn) should not have "cannot join parties" as a hidden drawback. I don't think that's what was intended when auras were originally conceived.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Last edited by CanHasPants on Sep 22, 2013, 4:11:02 PM
"
However, I disagree with your request to disable allies' auras altogether simply due to a conflict in gameplay style.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think he is requesting this. He doesn't want them disabled 'altogether'. He wants to simply disable auras effecting him.

In other terms, I think a viable alternative solution is to simply implement a checklist of auras that you will allow to effect you. This way you can easily check off the ones that do not work with your build and check on the ones you want.

This doesn't negatively effect players and the only resource that actually needs considered is whether or not GGG's time is worth being spent on this; as with most suggestions.

My opinion? Sure, it sounds great. There aren't really any negatives associated with this suggestion and would only improve the game.

In regards to your suggestion-solution Charan, I think it's interesting. But what would the limitation for casting the 'enchantments' be? If they aren't on reserve, what prevents you from simply casting all of them at once? Maybe they last a very short period of time before needing refreshed? Then I'd argue it would be extremely unpopular with players as it would require a lot of recasting compared to the current state of auras where you don't have to recast. I'm interested in your response. :)
Last edited by DestroTheGod on Sep 22, 2013, 6:11:58 PM
"
Eh, I worded that poorly. I don't believe that there should be an option to be 'immune' to allies' auras.

What stopped us from casting Enchant? Nothing. The problem isn't with how we cast the auras or maintain them but how effective they are for that cost. The supremacy of auras as 'mandatory' for most builds is problematic in my opinion -- that which is typically supplementary/supportive has become core in PoE. And it all comes back to just how strong they are.

I miss the D2 idea of auras being the anti-curse: one at a time only, but with potential for extra if you take the right keystone and/or unique items.

Just being able to load up on them is ridiculous.

I like this idea, but i don't like the idea of having to recast all the time. It would be fun if you had to "work" to get multiple auras, but once you had the keystone(s) you could keep them up on a reserve like they are now. I wish you could play more supports with them too.

Enchant in D2 lasted a very, very long time. Maybe they should work like d2 ES and cancel if you've run out of mana? I'm not to opposed to auras being mandatory for some builds, as long as they aren't mandatory for EVERYONE.
"
Charan said some stuff that makes sense
I think that many of our current 'auras' should be non-reserve, timer-based enchantments -- as is well known, most 'auras' are just for self-buffing anyway.

However, I disagree with your request to disable allies' auras altogether simply due to a conflict in gameplay style. This to me is not a far cry from saying 'please disallow detonate dead because I'm a summoner and I need the corpses'. Some playstyles will conflict, and it's up to us to decide who to play with based on that.

But the key point is that auras right now have the potential to change your gameplay style against your will. The auras of D2 were nowhere near that pervasive for the most part, imparting instead fairly obvious bonuses: elemental resistances, heal over time, mana regeneration, etc. The only defensive aura that might have messed with you was Redemption, since it consumed corpses, but it had a very tight radius that never increased.

There was Holy Freeze, which was very much like hatred, but it never seemed that big a problem.

Maybe it also comes down to the possibility that PoE builds are much more finely tuned than your average D2 one.

Either way, I believe that converting several 'auras' into self-buffing enchantments would solve this issue.

I can totally understand this, and appreciate that there are some meta game interactions that make grouping decisions more important. I'd also even totally support the notion, were there more of these interactions. But there's not, there's no D2 Enchant Weapon buff to cast on allies, etc.. Everything else in the game is promoted as being totally selfish--make your numbers bigger so you can stand on your own, you are supporting the party by making things die in an efficient manner.

Right now there's sort of a contradiction of intentions. I'd fully support EE's or similar "need to deal less of x" builds' stealth drawback if more of them were evident in the game. But they're not, and every single other build just makes numbers bigger and nobody is hurt by it. So if anything, from this suggestion, I'd request that those contradictions be made clearer-- either promote greater disparity between build pairings by offering more interactions like this, across the board, or, promote bigger numbers = better by fixing EE and other similar "party auras fucked me" builds so that everyone can pub equally. Promote one or the other, but not the contradiction. Personally I'm for the former, making these interactions more important-- just not while they needlessly only affect a short few builds.

EDIT: To your second post, again, I can agree, but also disagree. The fact that auras are seen as mandatory is less important to me than the fact that they are pretty much the only thing that forces us to take mana, regen, leech, reduced cost, ect.. anything that we can do to improve our mana management. It's a symptom of mana not working, granted, but doesn't change the fact that managing our reservation costs is currently the only thing that really makes our current mana system work. I'm not sure if changing most auras to cast->duration/buff->recast would fix that or just make the current situation more annoying. My gut tells me the latter. Just like your first post, I like your ideas, but think there's something different, underlying, that needs to change first.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Last edited by CanHasPants on Sep 23, 2013, 4:48:36 PM
sorry to necro this.

but this problem still direly needs a fix.

same goes for mana management.. on my mf.
my prepatch perf. 15ex divination flask is just useless 80% of the time because of allies clarity aura.

impossible to handle clarity/mana. sometimes its not there.. then most of the time its there.
cant even keep your divination up for a few seconds.. even if i disable one of my own auras to briefly free up reserved mana.

this is just annoying. people should be able to decide themselves what auras they want: especially when auras have such a large effect on builds and playstyle.

please GGG. put this request into your incident management:
gameplay-wise it is a critical/major incident.

thank you.
IGN: MariaJuana
MariaJuana's GEMS, Gear and Goodies! POE's first gem exchange.
Shop: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/382143
Map Management Quick-Reference: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/402160
Not so sure about the skill tree placement anymore (I made this image before Vaal Pact got moved — again)... but we still really need a keystone like this.

Not only would it be a boon to solo Blood Magic users, who already have a problems when they don't have party members to provide aura support, but it could also be used by players who want to avoid auras in group play.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Such keystone would be OP for builds that do not rely on auras.
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
don't quite see how that suggestion is supposed to help with the problem at hand.
you mean "you are not buffed by ally auras"?
even then, why should someone not profit from all ally auras, just because they don't want one of them? makes no sense.

simply include a way to exclude ally auras by choice:
right now I'm using Arctic Aura AND Clarity, in order to overcome the Divination Flask problem.
That's two gems wasted in my build. Right there. For no reason whatsoever.
You can't tell me that forcing me to actually use an aura i don't want.. in order to get it under control, instead of just disabling that same ally aura.. is GGG's intention?

This has nothing to do with Divination Flask's inherent drawbacks and challenges.
I have to manage these.. plus the problem that parties can give me a clarity Aura I don't want, which makes all of this just a serious PITA. and crippling people who try to get a certain build under control in this manner, is not OK.

Explosive Arrow Builds are also affected by this. I am sure that there are other builds or situations where the inability to disable ally auras leads to severe, pointless disadvantages.

So will GGG ever fix this? Or do they not see as a problem? Is there an official statement about this problem?
Just make some lousy GUI Panel where I can checkmark Auras I don't want. Can't be that much to ask, can it?

This mechanic is clearly out of place and should be fixed.
IGN: MariaJuana
MariaJuana's GEMS, Gear and Goodies! POE's first gem exchange.
Shop: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/382143
Map Management Quick-Reference: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/402160

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info