In Depth Study of History

So I decided to go back and brush up on my ancient history in chronological order. I remember learning bits and pieces from school and documentaries growing up, but it was all jumbled together which makes for a confusing conversation. In my effort to go back and study civilization from start til' now I have come to a depressing discovery. The information is not as easily available as I thought.

So far, I've read a few timelines that I have problems accepting as factual information. What's funny about this is that all the information I've uncovered has absolutely no citation so I can't research it for myself. If anyone has reliable resources on the subject that allows me to research the findings I am reading that would be great. Otherwise, I'd like to make this thread about organizing the ancient history of human civilization in chronological order.

Ancient Mesopotamia 1200 B.C.

Empires of Ancient Mesopotamia

Assyrian

Babylonian

There is grief in wisdom, there is sorrow in truth
Yet, the heart of the wise is in the house of mourning
And by sad countenance the heart is made stonger in time
So, I embrace this burden and weep for the fools that chase the wind
Last edited by Magnetic_n0rth on Sep 20, 2013, 9:00:23 PM
You cant trust any part of History pre September 21, 2013AD.
You can be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world,
and there’s still going to be somebody who hates peaches.
"
Velocireptile wrote:
You cant trust any part of History pre September 21, 2013AD.

And it's up to question just how far they've already gotten writing history after that date. =^[.]~=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
More research proves that there is inconsistent data just arbitrarily thrown around. I'm getting reports of several different dates as far as the first known civilization goes. I'm very surprised about the obfuscation and obscurity on this subject. I see scholar's and commoners alike talk about history as if it's certain and cannot be altered or refuted. Is this just a product of radically intolerant individuals? I think I am more confused than I was originally when I started this research.
you need to do a lot more research and widen your world views a little bit. There's recorded history and pre recorded history.

I'll just point you in one direction for your research when it comes to *recorded* history: Have a look into Asian civilisations, you'll most likely be starting your list from there.

Best of luck
"
Josephoenix wrote:
you need to do a lot more research and widen your world views a little bit. There's recorded history and pre recorded history.

I'll just point you in one direction for your research when it comes to *recorded* history: Have a look into Asian civilisations, you'll most likely be starting your list from there.

Best of luck

Thank you for the help. With what you said, I have a question. my goal was to compile a list of historical events on each civilization/culture and compare where they line up and where there may be discrepancies. Is that a otherwise crazy or futile effort? I want to know where and why each civilization/culture has begun and ended. I have a rough understanding of most of the civilizations they teach in school like Rome, but I'd like to see if i can expand on that. I thought the best way to do that is start at the beginning of civilization which I have read was the summerian/Akkadian people from Mesopotamia.
"
"
Josephoenix wrote:

Best of luck

Thank you for the help. With what you said, I have a question. my goal was to compile a list of historical events on each civilization/culture and compare where they line up and where there may be discrepancies. Is that a otherwise crazy or futile effort? I want to know where and why each civilization/culture has begun and ended. I have a rough understanding of most of the civilizations they teach in school like Rome, but I'd like to see if i can expand on that. I thought the best way to do that is start at the beginning of civilization which I have read was the summerian/Akkadian people from Mesopotamia.

long story short: If you want to know about "all" of them, you'll probably need to study world history for the rest of your days and you still won't "know it all"... There's a lot that's happened in the last 5000-6000 years of recorded history. However, learning new things and gaining knowledge and insight are worthy goals.

On a side note: No one knows *for certain* where civilisation started or who was first etc...
If it's a subject that interests you: delve into it and make your own judgements. It's certainly a topic that you'll not run out of things to learn.

You'll need to learn multiple languages, or be sure that translated works are accurate. Every culture/country/continent has different versions of history etc... You're looking into a topic that's got dissent and misinterpretation all over it... but it is fascinating.

Have fun :)
Also, even though there are many smart/educated ppl here on the PoE forums... if this is truly something you're diving head first into... I would suggest looking for the information you require elsewhere (basically avoid every game forum on the internet).

This is only if you "seriously" want to know about the subject. If it's just for kicks...well... you'll find them here!
[removed by admin]
"

So far, I've read a few timelines that I have problems accepting as factual information.

Dating that far back, there's bound to be opinions and views of history that differ from historian to historian. What we know of any ancient civilization, especially those of pre-documentation, is that of speculation based on the evidence left behind.

Either way, a good free source to start your journey back into history may be to check out the Library of Congress(www.loc.gov) - The Library of Alexandria of our time.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info