I Quit

drinking energy Drinks 2 weeks ago.

I had been drinking 1 or 2 cans a day when I was back home, mainly for late night gaming sessions. Then the next day because I was drained.

I noticed that I was a bit heavier (85KG) where as I usually hover around 75kg.
So I got back on track and switched to Apples/Bananas and Water when I get tired.

It's been great.

I just want you all to know that while it is pretty hard to break the cycle of Energy Drinks. It's good when you do.

If I get a call out at work now I'll have a straight Black Coffee to carry me through.

Head up guys, you can do it. Make the switch.
You can be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world,
and there’s still going to be somebody who hates peaches.
"
I refuse to touch those things. I firmly believe they'll be discovered to be extremely harmful at some point in the future, such that our grandkids will be like 'Were you really able to just buy those as kids? Didn't anyone know?! Everyone knows!'

At some point in the future?

They're basically sodas with 3x the sugar ammount and concentrated caffeine, not only they're one of the worst things you can consume, ever, they are also mildly addicting.
I use to do a laboring job; had energy drinks because i got bored and tired - then i noticed heart palpitations. gave the drinks up and they went away. not a healthy product to offer IMO.
"
"
"
I refuse to touch those things. I firmly believe they'll be discovered to be extremely harmful at some point in the future, such that our grandkids will be like 'Were you really able to just buy those as kids? Didn't anyone know?! Everyone knows!'

At some point in the future?

They're basically sodas with 3x the sugar ammount and concentrated caffeine, not only they're one of the worst things you can consume, ever, they are also mildly addicting.

I'm talking they'll be treated with the same level of restriction and regulation as any other legal 'drug' like alcohol or tobacco. That obviously hasn't happened quite yet.

Michael: my sister, who in a 'past life' used to dabble in various silly substances, told me long ago that one of the scariest things she ever did was drink a red bull too quickly on an empty stomach. She thought her heart was going explode.

That was all the encouragement I needed to maintain my never-touch-it policy.

They already are here, not sold if you're under 16; which would be in the same category as low alcohol beverages.
"
"

They already are here, not sold if you're under 16; which would be in the same category as low alcohol beverages.

news to me! Where are you? The fact that you have 'low alcohol beverages' available as low as 16 makes it clear you're not in the US or Australia. :)

Argentina, not sure how regulated they are in most random convenience stores, but in the big supermarkets and such they'll ID you if you look too young and try to carry them around.

I believe once some organizations even tried once to pass some sort of "shock ban" in the same way cigarrettes have (cig boxes here have pictures of... the not very happy ways smoking ends your life, extremely graphic at that) but it did not go through.
Having one Energy Drink is the equivalent of having 5 Sugared Coffee's really.

That's why they generally say "Recommended Consumption per Adult: Max 1 per day" or whatever.

The non Caffeine/Non Sugar contents are so minute they are hardly worth mentioning.

But yeah, they are absolutely terrible. And being full of sugar, they are supper addictive.
I regret the money, time and health I poured into them :(
You can be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world,
and there’s still going to be somebody who hates peaches.
"
Velocireptile wrote:
Having one Energy Drink is the equivalent of having 5 Sugared Coffee's really.

That's why they generally say "Recommended Consumption per Adult: Max 1 per day" or whatever.

The non Caffeine/Non Sugar contents are so minute they are hardly worth mentioning.

But yeah, they are absolutely terrible. And being full of sugar, they are supper addictive.
I regret the money, time and health I poured into them :(

The sugar content also makes it so if you indulge regularly in sweet stuff (couple cookies a day, fruit juice) it'll also have the opposite effect of energy boost; if you feel it at all.
I don't know what it is about Red Bulls salty ditch water flavor that tastes so damn good. Once in awhile I indulge, I do agree that overdoing it isn't the greatest idea though.
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
I'm a firm believer in better living through chemistry.

I love caffeine absolutely. Its short term effects are excellent at staving off tiredness and increasing focus. Long term, caffeine has been shown to reduce the risk of Parkinson's, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes. Wow.

Caffeine is great, except if you have to drink a lot of sugar to get it.

I love nicotine absolutely. Its short term effects are excellent at moderating appetite and suppressing depression and anxiety. Long term, nicotine is... virtually untested, since all the published experiments are comorbid with cigarette smoking. Herp a derp.

Nicotine is great, except if you have to burn plant matter to get it.

The point I'm getting to is that, personally, I've already found a way to get nicotine without burning shit. Caffeine is next on the chopping block, and I need to move to something like caffeine tablets for the long-term. Sugary drinks are pretty awesome, but I know where that road leads and it's not healthy.

To the OP, I applaud cutting the drinks out, but I don't see the point in cutting caffeine out.
Last edited by pneuma on Sep 19, 2013, 1:02:48 AM
"
As ever, in all things moderation.

Most definitely. The biggest hint is that both chemicals have an LD50, as in "too much of these and you will die".

Oddly enough, the addictive parts of caffeine are traced to the sugar in the sugary drinks, and the addictive parts of nicotine are traced to the MAOIs in tobacco. In both cases, the chemical is fairly safe but the delivery mechanism makes them significantly more deadly than they should be.

The more you know. :P

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info