Torchlight 2 gets no love

I forgot to mention I do play Grim Dawn. As someone posted earlier, its still far from complete but it has potential. PoE is still King
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
I am in love with Torchlight 2.
it's the best ARPG I played in years, and yes that includes PoE and even Titan Quest - although in PoE's case it's simply unfair to compare a Beta to a complete product.
right now, PoE is a lot more addictive, but falls behind on raw quality, amount of options and fun for the individual player.
though it may be better yet. we'll wait and see what Chris and the guys have up their sleeves :)

the best part about TL2 is, it gets even better once you go in-depth and study the mechanics, then beat it once to unlock literally tons of additional content.
and I haven't said anything about the partially-random content in the first play through (Phase Portals as only one example), and of course mods.
and all I can say to those who feel it isn't "hardcore" enough, is try playing Elite HC.

while I can understand those who don't like the game, due to the lack of a dark atmosphere or a serious D2-style lore, I cannot understand those who do only because of the slightly "cartoony" graphics.
you are children. "graphics *****". you are not part of my generation.
the generation that knows for a fact, graphics mean absolutely nothing, and gameplay means everything.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
"
johnKeys wrote:
while I can understand those who don't like the game, due to the lack of a dark atmosphere or a serious D2-style lore, I cannot understand those who do only because of the slightly "cartoony" graphics.
the generation that knows for a fact, graphics mean absolutely nothing, and gameplay means everything.

You're entitled to your opinion. Sorry but graphics do mean something and the fact that TL 2 is cartoony is a huge turn off for me, the game play is ok but nothing near good enough to make me forget how awful the game looks to me.

PS I bet im older than you.
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
Last edited by TheWretch on Sep 18, 2013, 4:20:15 PM
i really like TL2, but i just like PoE better so didnt make much time for it.

i still dabble with it when im on a plane or somewhere without net access though.
~SotW HC Guild~

"
johnKeys wrote:
I am in love with Torchlight 2.
it's the best ARPG I played in years, and yes that includes PoE and even Titan Quest - although in PoE's case it's simply unfair to compare a Beta to a complete product.
right now, PoE is a lot more addictive, but falls behind on raw quality, amount of options and fun for the individual player.
though it may be better yet. we'll wait and see what Chris and the guys have up their sleeves :)

the best part about TL2 is, it gets even better once you go in-depth and study the mechanics, then beat it once to unlock literally tons of additional content.
and I haven't said anything about the partially-random content in the first play through (Phase Portals as only one example), and of course mods.
and all I can say to those who feel it isn't "hardcore" enough, is try playing Elite HC.

I'm curious, have you tried playing this game yet?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/208400/

The graphics are absolutely minimal, but get the job done with setting up the correct atmosphere and setting for the game and I can enjoy playing it all day long.

Torchlight 2 and WoW however look like kindegarten games. Its not the graphics aren't good enough, its a case of the graphical style being too unappealing to me.

Though having said that I thoroughly enjoyed the childish looking Maple Story because it was free to play and had amazing and unique gameplay, but both WoW, TL2, and now D2 all fall in to the trap of there being far better alternatives for me to play instead (PoE and Sacred 2).

Not only the graphics though, but the whole interface, skill system, character development and gameplay in TL2 seem far too simple and dumbed down to me over S2 and PoE.
(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.
"
bhavv wrote:

I'm curious, have you tried playing this game yet?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/208400/

The graphics are absolutely minimal, but get the job done with setting up the correct atmosphere and setting for the game and I can enjoy playing it all day long.

not yet, but I will definitely check it out now. thanks man :)

TL2 and WoW are two entirely different games, and I suspect you are saying this based on first impression alone. there are more than a few dark places in TL2, and more than enough blood splattering to not be called "kindergarten".
again, never judge a book by it's cover. and TL2 is one hell of a book.

mechanics? I think there is a good amount of them, and they are "just right" and very straightforward, which to me is a huge plus.
open the "journal panel" (I think that's what it's called) and see a summary of everything that comes into play. the two-tier damage reduction system for example, which you really should master if you play Hardcore.
everything fits into one page, and works exactly how it sounds.

rant

if we are to compare this to what PoE does, I think I can "blame" PoE for being over-complex: freeze mechanics, chill mechanics, stun mechanics, block mechanics.... a thousand different things, you actually need to read the wiki - or other 3rd party sites - to know how they work, interrupting your flow of play. and even that might not be enough (i.e "how the **** does a Divine Orb work anyway?").
and when you can counter half of these by simply stacking HP? excuse me GGG, but that is just plain stupid. why? because it turns huge complexity some may like, into pseudo-complexity designed to do nothing more than just mess with a player's head.
takes truly great RPG elements, smashes them against a wall, and says "well you can study and understand all of these, or you can just go ranged with tons of life (or totem build that never gets hit) and not worry about a thing".

still, take all of the above as a "my two cents" kind of thing.
I'm a huge "TL2 fan boy" ever since buying that game, yet I still enjoy PoE very much, and want the two games to remain as different as they are now.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Sep 19, 2013, 2:23:11 AM
I played TL2 less than I played D3. And not because of the graphics.

I don't know, it just didn't grab me. And the Game showed me once again why set-items shouldn't be in Path of Exile.
“Demons run when a good man goes to war"
The spider web games are more like Baldurs Gate though, the latest being a remake of the first part of the Avernum series so there's no need to buy any earlier titles.

I refused to play it on anything other than the hardest difficulty, and that puts me crawling through it at a snails pace having to reload hundreds of times to get stuff done.

I hate when hard is too easy, and the next diff up is almost impossible, but it still puts most modern AAA rpgs to shame.
(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info