Purist, not Elitist

Elitist here, elitist there.

People just love to throw this word around because it gives them an easy way out to label someone and make his opinion or assessment of an situation count less. Because hey, you are just an elitist, that is a character flaw and makes you narrow minded.

I myself see me as a Purist.

And some other People that get labeled as 'fanboy' or elitist are in my eyes purists too.

What I would like to see is People actually reading up sometime what elitists and purists actually are and what the differences are and in that regard what the motivation is of the person you are arguing with.
“Demons run when a good man goes to war"
Last edited by Sneakypaw on Sep 8, 2013, 6:08:47 PM
Did someone offend you, labeling you something that you would not like to be?
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Why do you need a label? I find labels only hurt when you let them. I do let you have the power to do that.

But if label we must, I always preferred to be called a realist. Is the glass half full or half empty? I say it depends on if it was full and half poured out or only filled half way.
"
Crackmonster wrote:

Nope, I just have seen too many people devalue the opinion of another poster with the claim they are a elitist.
“Demons run when a good man goes to war"
"
Sneakypaw wrote:
"
Crackmonster wrote:

Nope, I just have seen too many people devalue the opinion of another poster with the claim they are a elitist.

I also noticed that this as a way to devalue another person's argument or position; It's a form of ad-hominem.

The latest example I've come across was the an article about "original audio" vs. "dubbing". In it, the author claimed that dubs were just as good as the original audio. He did not really substantiate that claim other than saying "well, the purists who prefer the original audio are just snobs who want to lord their knowledge of other languages over others."

i.e.: The author dismissed any legitimate argument for the original audio with "if you prefer that, you're a snob. And nobody likes a snob."

And that is simply no way to make an argument. Yet some people do just that.
12/12/12 - the day Germany decided boys are not quite human.
Last edited by Avireyn on Sep 9, 2013, 6:02:16 AM
There is, in fact, a difference between a purist and an elitist.

Within the context of PoE I'd call the purist the person who appreciates a challenging ARPG, would prefer complete character loss of HC death, and doesn't want to see things like an AH because he genuinely feels it moves the game too far from it's ARPG roots.

The elitists of PoE are the ones who try to use PoE statistics or shout scrubcore to try and discredit someone's opinion. Those people being called elitist are aptly named and do more harm than good to a community.
"
Thaelyn wrote:
There is, in fact, a difference between a purist and an elitist.

Within the context of PoE I'd call the purist the person who appreciates a challenging ARPG, would prefer complete character loss of HC death, and doesn't want to see things like an AH because he genuinely feels it moves the game too far from it's ARPG roots.

I don't know. I think elitist fits those just as well.

"
Thaelyn wrote:
The elitists of PoE are the ones who try to use PoE statistics or shout scrubcore to try and discredit someone's opinion. Those people being called elitist are aptly named and do more harm than good to a community.

Those ones are just assholes.
"
Sneakypaw wrote:
Elitist here, elitist there.

People just love to throw this word around because it gives them an easy way out to label someone and make his opinion or assessment of an situation count less. Because hey, you are just an elitist, that is a character flaw and makes you narrow minded.

I myself see me as a Purist.

And some other People that get labeled as 'fanboy' or elitist are in my eyes purists too.

What I would like to see is People actually reading up sometime what elitists and purists actually are and what the differences are and in that regard what the motivation is of the person you are arguing with.

I see both as edges of the spectrum with a value of their own. But they do make it hard to see other... colors. ;)
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness.
May those who defy their fate be granted glory."

Edel
I'm pretty sure only an elitist would insist on being considered a purist.

Spoiler

Yes this is a Troll Virginia
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info