Resolute Technique Balance

"
"
anubite wrote:
While I agree RT is very powerful, as are all the other keystones along the south end of the tree, please understand that RT needs to exist, because we need to be able to counter builds that spam evasion.
So, what, strength characters need to be able to beat high-evasion characters, so RT must exist. Okay. What about those high-evasion characters? Don't they equally need to be able to beat RT strength characters, or does the need only flow one way?

No, it flows only one way. The way PVP will work is X will counter Y to some extent. There is no way we could ever balance POE to allow for all builds to be equally viable in PVP against one another.

And high evasion characters can do well against RT. You probably haven't PVP'd much, but slow 2h marauders will have a ton of trouble against fast ranger-types. Even with RT, a Marauder's attacks won't connect 80% of the time due to the target moving out of range and kiting him with slows, traps, skills like ice wall, etc.
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
Last edited by anubite on Sep 21, 2012, 7:27:22 AM
Well okay, that sounds pretty reasonable. I mean I'm not sure why rangers can now use Ice Wall but marauders can't, but if mobility for STR characters is presenting that much of a disadvantage I guess it'd be nice to give them the ability to hit when they do get the chance. To me it'd have to be one hell of a disadvantage to warrant removing a character's entire defensive stat like that, but hey, you guys would know better than me.

I'm generally just uncomfortable with any kind of "counter" mechanic in 1v1 (makes more sense in team fights), and also I liked the idea of keystones as optional, not required. But these sorts of objections are precisely why I don't play PvP in this genre, so I'll leave you all to it. :)
Well, a Marauder could use ice wall, but I suspect it wouldn't have the same effect as a Ranger using it with other ranger skills. A Marauder with icewall would be better suited at preventing other melees from hitting him while he groundslams underneath it, while a Ranger would be better suited for casting it to obstruct movement, running away, while throwing a bear trap in the optimal path around it.

Also, I watched Kripp during one of the cutthroat events, and with his low level Marauder, he could rarely (like 1 out of 10 attacks) land a heavy strike with a 2h mace when he was several levels above everyone else and with fairly decent attack speed. Seeing that just proved to me that although RT is powerful, it won't gaurantee success against mobile opponents, even though Kripp WAS using phase run and had pretty decent aspeed.

The point is that you need to counter things. If I'm a fire mage, you need to stack fire resist or have contingency against spell damage on hand in PVP. If you don't have a way to counter it, you'll lose probably. Your build just can't naturally have defenses against it, you need to strategize with your actions as well as your passive build. No build should naturally be good against everything, if there is a build that cannot be countered reasonably, then it is probably too strong.
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
Last edited by anubite on Sep 21, 2012, 9:15:57 AM
Too many complained about RT yet its curial for maras,templars even with duelists. Put it right next to vaal pact and iron grip that should make everyone happy i prefer taken hit constantly than crits at pvp...
PvP... it ruined wow... and the same QQ topics start right now here as well...

QQ for balance, etc...

I understand ofc those that play pvp that they do not like RT keystone, etc... but before you mess it up completely, please... please keep in mind the impact of the prior intent of this game which is pvE

also as said before, it would be a fail to consider "balancing" a game in 1v1 counter... all it would do is just a chain reaction and ruin the whole diversity of characters/builds/skills... and we would end up with 1 character that can do everything just so that nobody can say hey he has better this, and this and QQ and QQ moar...

Balancing around 3v3 is more reliable, as it is like a puzzle... one has advantage in this, disadvantage in that, his party members have different advantages as well as disadvantages, and the exactly same applies to competitors... and i doubt you will not be able to kill a marauder with RT in such way.

You just have to learn to live with the fact, that there will be a class/build that your class/build will not be able to kill, or w/e...
Playing for joy ♥

If interested, check out my Hideout(s): /view-thread/2226019
Last edited by Moribundus on Jan 26, 2013, 7:13:23 AM
"

And high evasion characters can do well against RT. You probably haven't PVP'd much, but slow 2h marauders will have a ton of trouble against fast ranger-types. Even with RT, a Marauder's attacks won't connect 80% of the time due to the target moving out of range and kiting him with slows, traps, skills like ice wall, etc.

-----------------------

Also, I watched Kripp during one of the cutthroat events, and with his low level Marauder, he could rarely (like 1 out of 10 attacks) land a heavy strike with a 2h mace when he was several levels above everyone else and with fairly decent attack speed. Seeing that just proved to me that although RT is powerful, it won't gaurantee success against mobile opponents, even though Kripp WAS using phase run and had pretty decent aspeed.

> Assumes no-one will use flicker strike and RT
> Would get mauled by the combo in PVP
> Would still defend RT as is

Last edited by Dr_Professor on Jan 27, 2013, 2:21:05 AM
I guess the actual issue is that the Keystone might as well be inbuild to Marauders, because there is no reason not to take it, in fact it is almost mandatory. That is problematic because a Keystone is supposed to be a means of specializing your build.

I think there should be more conversion Keystones for that kind of thing:
Resolute Techniquie could convert a part of your strength damage gain to accuracy.
I would also like a Keystone that would convert some of your dex eva rating to attack damage.

Right now, all Melee builds absolutely need strength nodes, which makes Melee builds all way too similar imho.
you QQ kiddiez omfg fail...RT can be countered by other things like dodgeacrobatics + shield block or just mobility & stuff use ur brain..noobs. Noobs like you ruin gaming.

I didnt play WoW vanilla but i vote + 1 to Moribundus !!!
The nerves on those noobs omfg .....
Criticals are a much bigger problem in PvP then RT, they would render armor practically useless even if it had any use to begin with.
No point to mess up the game because of PvP and the keystone is just fine for PvE.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Jan 27, 2013, 6:47:58 PM
"
raics wrote:

No point to mess up the game because of PvP and the keystone is just fine for PvE.

And everything is balanced after PVE first and foremost yes?
Alexis
*smiles*

=@[.]@= boggled
=~[.]^= naughty wink

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info