windows 7 (64x)premium
amd athlon 64 x2 dual core 5600+ 2.90ghz
nvidia GeForce 9500gt
4gb of ram
realtek high definition audio

blue screen of death error code 0x00000124
caused by driver hal.dll
caused by address hal.dll+f768

the game would freeze my computer at random 10-30 mins of play and would have to manually turn it off and turn it back on no blue screen of death.

then i tried the --nosound and --softwareaudio then my computer would crash about the same frequency as before but this time im getting a blue screen and will restart on its own

i dont think its an over heating problem i have played high taxing games such as kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning for hours with no problems at all

if any one can help it would be much appreciated if more info is needed please let me know and i will post the .dmp log

Thanks
all drivers are up to date and tried playing the game on the lowest setting and if it matters my resolution im playing on is my native 1600X900

Also i have performed the packcheck with all files checked out to be fine
Last edited by ctx337 on Aug 30, 2013, 2:05:28 AM
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
lagwin1980 thank you for your response

i feel like this error is isolated by playing this game only i have had this set up and have had no new hardware installed. i have had this pc for about 4 years and this was the first time i have ever had a blue screen or a crash for that matter

if it is an over heating problem or a ram issue wouldn't this type of blue screen of death happen at some point out side of playing Path of Exile?

i cannot disable Enhanced Halt State as i don't have the option in my bios
have downloaded all the windows update hot fixes
use ccleaner to scan the registry weekly
i haven't used the windows recovery console to check if hal.dll is corrupted because i dont have a windows cd :( is there any other way to possibly repair a windows instillation with no windows cd?

thanks
Hi ctx337

Have you installed any other hardware or software recently by chance? According to Microsoft '0x00000124' BSODs tend to be hardware related.

One option to try may be setting your power options to 'high performance' this can be done as such:

'power options' > Change plan > Change Advanced > Choose 'high performance'

Edit: Actually this could be an over heating issue, some cards can handle other games fine but lose it over POE, it might be a good idea to get some temperature measurements going.

Last edited by Michael_GGG on Aug 30, 2013, 4:22:31 AM
"
ctx337 wrote:
lagwin1980 thank you for your response

i feel like this error is isolated by playing this game only i have had this set up and have had no new hardware installed. i have had this pc for about 4 years and this was the first time i have ever had a blue screen or a crash for that matter

if it is an over heating problem or a ram issue wouldn't this type of blue screen of death happen at some point out side of playing Path of Exile?

i cannot disable Enhanced Halt State as i don't have the option in my bios
have downloaded all the windows update hot fixes
use ccleaner to scan the registry weekly
i haven't used the windows recovery console to check if hal.dll is corrupted because i dont have a windows cd :( is there any other way to possibly repair a windows instillation with no windows cd?

thanks

Sorry i didn't give much of a proper response...i had just crawled out of bed like 10 minutes before posting.

Not sure if there is something third party to check for errors in the windows instillation, it's not something i would try personally.

If it was a problem with ram you really need to push it, PoE does a good job of this as most of the art assets some spell effects drops and previous areas are stored in ram, outside of PoE not many things actually put much of a load on the ram other than encoding and memtest/prime95

Last edited by lagwin1980 on Aug 30, 2013, 4:53:11 AM
"
Michael_GGG wrote:
Hi ctx337

Have you installed any other hardware or software recently by chance? According to Microsoft '0x00000124' BSODs tend to be hardware related.

One option to try may be setting your power options to 'high performance' this can be done as such:

'power options' > Change plan > Change Advanced > Choose 'high performance'

Edit: Actually this could be an over heating issue, some cards can handle other games fine but lose it over POE, it might be a good idea to get some temperature measurements going.

Hello Michael_GGG
Thanks for the response i haven't added any new hardware as of recent all tho i do have an unknown device that has puzzled me for a bit one day it just popped up and haven't a clue as to what it is doubt that could be the problem tho.

as for the power option its always been set on high performance if it is an over heating issue i will try lower it to balanced or low to see if that dose any thing
[/quote]

Sorry i didn't give much of a proper response...i had just crawled out of bed like 10 minutes before posting.

Not sure if there is something third party to check for errors in the windows instillation, it's not something i would try personally.

If it was a problem with ram you really need to push it, PoE does a good job of this as most of the art assets some spell effects drops and previous areas are stored in ram, outside of PoE not many things actually put much of a load on the ram other than encoding and memtest/prime95[/quote]

no problem

i will download a ram stress test program and see what happens.

quote got messed up don't know how to fix i don't use forums to much lol
Last edited by ctx337 on Aug 30, 2013, 7:00:13 AM
well i ran prime95 and my cpu in about 10 mins spiked to almost 100 degrees Celsius i had no idea it was getting that hot the heat sink is not dusty cleaned it about 3 weeks a go unless the reading isent accurate i dont see why it would get that hot

http://i43.tinypic.com/24drhuv.jpg
Last edited by ctx337 on Aug 30, 2013, 9:36:08 AM
"
ctx337 wrote:
well i ran prime95 and my cpu in about 10 mins spiked to almost 100 degrees Celsius i had no idea it was getting that hot the heat sink is not dusty cleaned it about 3 weeks a go unless the reading isent accurate i dont see why it would get that hot

http://i43.tinypic.com/24drhuv.jpg

That is rather hot...according to this http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Athlon%2064%20X2%205600+%20-%20ADA5600IAA6CZ%20%28ADA5600CZBOX%29.html

the safe operating temperature is 70oc, usually after the temps hit that the CPU starts under clocking to try keep the temperature down...if it fails it shuts down the PC but i don't think that is actually a BSOD unless in the process of under clocking or the safety measures it triggers the BSOD.
Good news though it looks like your ram might be OK...it completed the test with zero errors but loads of warnings(i'd assume temperature warnings).

When was the last time you removed the heat sink on the CPU? if it's been on for quite a while the thermal paste may be needing changed and is the heat sink the stock one you got with the CPU? or an after market one?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info