New here with very few short questions, thanks much

Thanks much!
I realize my laptop isn't that great. That might change soon. When I meant dying, I mean because Windows seems to die, or something bad is happening around last windows update, the whole thing has slowed to a crawl, so that I cannot run anything on it anymore. It's always plugged in.

I believe I will NOT be deactivating anti-virus programs when running an application that requires me to be logged in to a foreign server (e.g. Path of Exile). If it means worse performance, I will risk that over disaster.

How do I close "unnecessary" processes in task manager?

I can't test the game yet since I am not invited to play closed Beta.
Underrated stats: Basic human decency, small quantum of respect, microportion of compassion
Seems I am bumping my own thread, sorry, but I also have a couple of new questions. If anyone can help me with the previous ones (how to determine which tasks are "unnecessary" in the task manager? I don't mean applications, I mean tasks, most of which I do not understand), that would also be great. That is Old Question 1.
Thanks in advance!

New Question 1: I still can't test / see / find out most of the things by myself, because I am not invited to closed beta. I *DID* read the "Beta" forum threads, but it seems like the latest official information I can find is that PoE will enter Open Beta in Mid-August, which is a month ago. Is there any way I can enter closed Beta, and if not, where can I find info on an updated ETA of Open?

New Question 2: The videos I have been seeing of closed beta versions show no minimap for the randomized world areas! Searching the forum for "minimap" gives me conflicting information; has one been added?

New Question 3: One of the "benefits" of a traditional class system in an arpg like Diablo2 is that mods such as "+1 to all Necromancer skills" or "+2 to curses" were always fun to look for and find. My guess is that this cannot work in an itemized system such as PoE. I have yet to see many really tasty and interesting mods. Is there something in store to make up for this difficulty with classless itemization skills?

New Question 4: I still have failed to understand how the devs are making money with this. Granted, having no publisher is good, but there seems to be a number of people working on this project full time, and I don't see how they can feed their families merely by selling t-shirts and posters and keys for cosmetic mods. I will be happy do donate for a quality product (once I can test it at least), but for now, what am I not understanding?

Underrated stats: Basic human decency, small quantum of respect, microportion of compassion
"
onomastikon wrote:

New Question 2: The videos I have been seeing of closed beta versions show no minimap for the randomized world areas! Searching the forum for "minimap" gives me conflicting information; has one been added?

There is a mini map on the upper right hand corner, and you can hit a button to make it much bigger and in the center of your screen.

"
onomastikon wrote:

New Question 3: One of the "benefits" of a traditional class system in an arpg like Diablo2 is that mods such as "+1 to all Necromancer skills" or "+2 to curses" were always fun to look for and find. My guess is that this cannot work in an itemized system such as PoE. I have yet to see many really tasty and interesting mods. Is there something in store to make up for this difficulty with classless itemization skills?

There are items with mods such as "+1 to melee gems place in sockets" and things like that. There are also mods that increase certain types of damages and resistances in general. Just because the class system is open doesn't mean that certain skills and types of skills can't be boosted by mods, it just means more characters will be able to benefit from it.

"
onomastikon wrote:

New Question 4: I still have failed to understand how the devs are making money with this. Granted, having no publisher is good, but there seems to be a number of people working on this project full time, and I don't see how they can feed their families merely by selling t-shirts and posters and keys for cosmetic mods. I will be happy do donate for a quality product (once I can test it at least), but for now, what am I not understanding?

Well you need to remember first that nobody starts a business broke. In general it takes some time for a business to become profitible and owners generally have a supply of cash to cover expenses until the profit covers them. Also I'm pretty sure you're underestimating most people's desire to look slightly different from the other thousands of people around them. And stash tabs are sooooooooooo tempting...
I don't have sig :D -- gracy123
"
New Question 1: I still can't test / see / find out most of the things by myself, because I am not invited to closed beta. I *DID* read the "Beta" forum threads, but it seems like the latest official information I can find is that PoE will enter Open Beta in Mid-August, which is a month ago. Is there any way I can enter closed Beta, and if not, where can I find info on an updated ETA of Open?

You can pre-purchase entry to the game ..410, well worth it in my opinion. see left hand side panel.

"
(how to determine which tasks are "unnecessary" in the task manager? I don't mean applications, I mean tasks, most of which I do not understand),

Have used a geek forum to find this answer out myself, google the question how to speed up windows 7 (removing unnecessary tasks)..no problems (dont forget a restore point tho :) )

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info