Weapon + Shield Physical RT Cyclone 'Blinding Shield' Tank

Hey guys, please keep in mind this is total theory at this point, I dont have the items or gems yet, but I think it should work out wonders. It combines a tanky build with good cyclone dps output and 2 forms of damage avoidance - block and evasion (blind linked to tempest shield to proc it off high block) for a lot of physical damage mitigation.

As title states, this build uses:

Cyclone, 80% of it being physical damage (or practically all of it if you dont use hatred)
RT for 100% hit chance

Weapon and Shield (any kind of weapon will do, not speccing into specific weapon type is the advantage here, though the best base imo - after lots of research would be a Vaal Hatchet, or ofc Soul Taker if you afford)

High Block and Spell Block

Tempest Shield linked with Blind, yes that means no US taken because Cyclone is immune to stuns while whirling anyway

Runs 5 auras on mana with practically no mana left at all - so everything has to be run on blood magic - you can choose to drop hatred or haste to make life much easier, and then prolly even drop all 4 reserve nodes since you wont need them (or even use another 40% aura like vitality instead - but I consider this aura pathetic for its cost)

Aura grace is run on life with BM and RM linked, so not much reserved life and no need for covenant crap (even though fixed now)

Stacked resists for EW curse and can still do well in -res maps vs crem boss / piety thanks to spell block (can keep Saffell on swap for this even better, although piety ice form you should still use lioneye or rare shield)

Does not need a 6 link (although you can if you want ofc, but enjoy the Cyclone cost then :P)

Great regen and life leech potential - mostly physical, so life leech gem is not necessary

Great tanking potential - block and spell block on top of blind, stacked resists vs elemental weakness and also does well in -max res maps. Up to 7 endurance charges and very good armor, especially with granite. Stacked resists for EW curse and can still do well in -res maps vs crem boss / piety thanks to spell block (can keep Saffell on swap for this even better, although piety ice form you should still use lioneye or rare shield)

No problem with elemental reflect at all, no elemental damage except hatred and its not enough to cause issues, even in -max res maps.

Physical reflect - no major problems at all, even with abyssus. Unless its something crazy like physical reflect rare on physical reflect map with half / no regen and vulnerability. In this case I have set up a 'utility' gem slot which can have immortal call, decoy totem or warlords mark depending on need. Pretty savvy huh? :P :P

Here is a perfect world 120 point skill tree if you choose no quest rewards at all, and are at level 100:-

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAAecEswUtBjkOrRLhE1sUIBRNFm8Y2xkuGYUaMho4GlUdFCFgJKon7SjFKaUt0jIJM5Y26DbpOthAoEGMQ5xHfkw1TdhPfVBHUFBRYFPfVElVxlXWVw1YY1ivWNtZ8185Xz9gS2EhZKNk52VNZp5uaXC7cqlzP3TtdPF5wHrvfNmAVoFvgziE2YTvjHaMz49GkFWRzpkrm4OePJ65ns2gtKIApzCnhKmVq8WsqqyvtPm53b2BvqfAD8Aaw4bE9sbYz2XQ0NIh0k3Uj9lh3ePjaudS55HsOO7Z7w7vTu988B_yL_O-8932SPba97760vuq

At level 75, having taken all 3 quest rewards (28 points left):-

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAAecEswUtDq0S4RQgFE0Y2xkuGYUaMho4GlUhYCSqJ-0ppS3SMgk26DbpOthAoEOcR35N2E99UEdQUFFgU99USVcNWGNY21nzXz9gS2EhZKNlTWaebmlyqXTtdPF673zZgFaBb4M4hNmE74x2jM-QVZHOmSubg548nrmezaIApzCnhKmVq8WsqqyvtPm53b2BvqfAD8AaxtjSIdJN1I_ZYeNq51LsOO8O707vfPAf8i_z3fZI97760g==

Gear:

Helm --> Abyssus if you are feeling ballsy. Else a rare with life, armor / evasion, resists, str or even int would be nice since this build is starved for it for gem requirements.
Amulet --> Stone of lazhwar, no questions
Ring 1 --> 4% life leech Death Rush
Ring 2 --> rare prisma / coral with life resists str, leech ias are nice here
Boots --> Rainbowstrides, no questions
Belt --> Magnate or rare rustic / leather with life armor resists str
Gloves --> rare with life armor / evasion resists str, leech ias are nice here (or Slitherpinch for lolz, if you need the leech its cool)
Shield --> Lioneyes or rare with armor life block resists
Chest --> Carcass Jack or rare with armor life resists str/int, 5 link is enough!
Weapon --> Rare weapon with 250+ dps physical, vaal hatchet would be best imo. Extra mods like ias or life leech or str on it are nice to have. If rich, Soul taker. Then can remove blood magic from cyclone and swap something like added fire or WED, or go for 6 link with both or whatever you want from the 2 extra slots like increased aoe / lgoh / life leech / wed / added fire / multistrike.

Important: Before you have all 4 reservation nodes, you cant use both Haste and Hatred. I suggest Hatred - TS - Determination - Purity and RM gem. To run Haste, you will need all 20% and you will be at 99% mana reserved, so you will have to run everything on BM. Consider Haste a luxury.

Example of Links:-

Chest: Cyclone - FA - Conc effect - BM - MPD
Weapon: Leap Slam - FA - BM
Shield: Grace - RM - BM
Gloves Utility - Curse - Enduring Cry - BM (Utility = Decoy totem or Warlords Mark or Immortal Call, Curse = Vulnerability or Enfeeble)
Boots: Haste - Tempest Shield - RM - Blind
Helm Hatred - Determination - Purity - RM

Let me know what you think, fellow exiles!
Last edited by mvm199 on Aug 23, 2013, 8:01:34 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info