Molten shell + Bear trap chaos Marauder

Hi all, I've been busy having some fun trying some wierd skills combinations and ended up with this. (This has only be tested in anarchy)

So the journey began when I dropped this :

Seing how that poor boy was hated all over the forum I decided to give him a chance. The main drawback from this chest being the 100% spell damage taken on low mana, I thought that EB was a must. And saying EB is saying Arctir Armour, because that skill is wonderfull for defense.

I had also seen a guy playing a molten shell whitch on a youtube video(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZxoWOWAfAY) and thought that it would combine well with the idea of standing still being protected by AA and MS while the ennemies are bashing me and doing zero damage.

As I couldn't go CI while going EB, I needed a strong life/armor character, so I decided to start Marauder.

So here is the tree I came up with :

The skills I Use :

AOE :Molten shell / chance to ignite / elem prol / iron will / life leech
AOE2: ice nova / life leech / cold to fire (or iron will) / added chaos dammage
Single target : Bear trap / bear trap / added fire (+ conc effect ?)

Utilities :
Arctir armour
Flame totem / LMP / fire penetration (or iron will)
Flamability
Enfeeble

Auras :

Determination / Clarity / Discipline / reduced mana
(switch discipline with purity if you need extra resists)

The gear you need :

Spoiler

And the rest is armor gear with life and resists

Good points :

- Effective burning damage
- Great physical and fire damage mitigation (I facetank the blacksmith w/o problem, as most of the physical exiles)
- quite a lot of chaos damage that bypasses ES is usefull
- Using chaos damage helps dealing with reflect, so does arctic armour
- can adapt to lots of situation due to real skill diversity

Bad points:
- Leveling with ground slam until 60 might be required (especially in hardcore) because the build is quite dangerous to level without enough armour and the bonuses from Infernal mantle. However I personally switched in mid 30's because I didn't want to wait, but I died a few times (especially to rogue exiles).
- Reflect can still be dangerous in the middle of a huge pack with flamability. But with enfeeble and by paying attention, you can avoid it.
- Pure caster packs take a while to kill, use the "chaos nova"
- you NEED move speed boots or else you will nearly not move...

My char is 77 at the moment, having not too much trouble lower maps. My molten shell displays actually 5600 DPS, but you add 4/3 of burning damage on top of that and have quite a lot of DEEPS.

Defensively I'm at 3300 HP, 2200 mana, 7k armor( 9k with MS on, 25k with granite)

So yeah, if you want to try it or have ideas how to improve it, let me know !
Last edited by Renahud on Aug 23, 2013, 5:02:57 AM
Let me calculate your actual deeps, burning builds can never trust the tooltip. Anyways, I have a flame totem crit build that I'm leveling that I might buy a 5l infernal mantle for, but this seems really fun too.

edit: Now, what the fuck, you don't use any burning nodes?

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAxthYYz38UFB8uIzPKS72SF8_VEnnUu8Oud3yL9SPGS4n7fPdrKpZ88AaZp760jbpHRQkquNqj0ZMNZitGYXQ0KcIKMXPZZ2uFVDYJNrd875VxhJpNsUWbxccHwI22HF5BAfxbEyz7FUtH4gbbRmPpu-FO-HB81JT4veCHqKj8XY9X6cr2wt_xot6J6l-WQj0Wm15AyQ8MYjAVKdcc1NJUQdjVyuQVaeEGjjsODrYTdiMdp48gW8t0gSzFE0CcfAfogCDOO98qZVRYA==

The best I came up with, it should around triple your damage if you use ice nova to proc EE, loses some health though, which is bad. Marauder isn't that great for this, but I'll see tomorrow how else I can improve this. It gives you an endurance charge and more armour, so that helps.

I'll calculate it tomorrow I guess, too tired right now. Something to consider is dual curse (doedre's damning), as it boosts your damage by a lot. (double dipping)
Old april 2012 account got stolen
Last edited by Freeslana on Aug 22, 2013, 5:14:17 PM
Looks cute. I don't think it'll scale well in a party, but hey.

I was actually planning to use infernal with firestorm, MS honestly never crossed my mind as anything but a utility skill. Then again, I should not have been surprised, I did Whirling Blades for quite a while. =\

Good work. Thanks for bringing it to lower maps before posting.
How to make a build: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/510084
Current guides: N/A
Thank you for the feedback!

@Kirielis

I didn't play much in parties so I'm not sure but I'm also thinking that it would be quite difficult.
Haha, Whirling blade seriously ? :p Did it work ? The point of making this build was to have fun trying to work with things that weren't verry popular, so I did know it would probably end up less effective thant other builds, but still working :).

@Freeslana

Thanx, I would be interrested in knowing my effective DPS. For your passive tree, I agree that it should greatly improve my damage. The only reason I went to the dext side of the tree was the huge requirement of bear traps, and I wanted it to be my main signe target. But your tree is verry tempting too. Maybe and LMP fire ball could do the job.
Also, the shield nodes I took were not meant to give too much block chance because I don't think it works well with the MS mechanic. The purpose was to take de 30% defenses from shield, as my shield is my main source of armour.
Anyway, thank you for taking te time to make it, with some minor changes it could verry well be much more effective than mine, if I can find a single target ability that works well against elem resistant / reflect mobs.
Block damage counts toward molten shell too, mate.

Yeah, it worked to level 50+ and merciless ledge. After cyclone came out, I didn't go back, though I can pull the guy out and try WB again on full supports instead of as utility.
How to make a build: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/510084
Current guides: N/A
Ok, I'm going to calculate the DPS of my build first. Assuming 75% fire resist.

I'll calculate with lvl 17 gems, the molten shell lvl 18 cause it's in an infernal mantle.

My build without double curse - 19800 dps (against 75% base fire res)
My build with double curse - 36000 dps (against 75% base fire res)

That's assuming you apply EE with ice nova. Pretty solid considering lvl 17 gem.

Your build without double curse - 2900 DPS (against 75% base fire res)
Your build with double curse - 8057 DPS (against 75% base fire res)

EE and double curse make all the difference, as you can see. For curses, lvl 17 flammability and ele weakness for both.

For single target, I recommend fire trap+conc effect+increased burning, if you use at least flammability and trigger EE (Fire trap won't trigger it again, so that's good), the damage will be enough against fire resistant monsters. If you add elemental weakness to that, it should be better than bear trap. It also doesn't get reflected.
Last edited by Freeslana on Aug 23, 2013, 5:00:55 AM
"
Kirielis wrote:
Block damage counts toward molten shell too, mate.

Didn't know, I thout it worked only with damage prevented by armor, thanx for the info.

"
Freeslana wrote:
Ok, I'm going to calculate the DPS of my build first. Assuming 75% fire resist.

I'll calculate with lvl 17 gems, the molten shell lvl 18 cause it's in an infernal mantle.

My build without double curse - 19800 dps (against 75% base fire res)
My build with double curse - 36000 dps (against 75% base fire res)

That's assuming you apply EE with ice nova. Pretty solid considering lvl 17 gem.

Your build without double curse - 2900 DPS (against 75% base fire res)
Your build with double curse - 8057 DPS (against 75% base fire res)

EE and double curse make all the difference, as you can see. For curses, lvl 17 flammability and ele weakness for both.

Now that's a big difference... will make me think strongly about respeccing! :)
I've tried to work an in-between solution:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBBAcHYwj0CTMM9xJpE1sVUBZvFxwZLhmFHRQfAiQlJDwkqiepJ-0o-ikuLR82xTbpOuE74TwtPV89_EGHSVFMs03jUFBSU1RJVcZV1lcrWGNabV8_ZOds9m0ZcXlzU3kDerh8uH5Zf8aCHoLHiPGLeozPj0aXlZf0mK2drqKjplenCKcrp1ypbqxZrpO18rc-uJO53cBUwfPE9sauxtjPZdDQ0TbUj9gk2t3bC-L342rnUudj6-7vDvF28i_yRfPd9kj60v4K_o8=

I still keep a lot of life, lose a bit of mana, and gain a bunch of deeps. Should cost me +- 30 regrets.

I'll have to drop de bear traps and figure out what to use on bosses/reflect packs. I'm thinking either fire ball or fire trap.

"
Renahud wrote:
I've tried to work an in-between solution:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBBAcHYwj0CTMM9xJpE1sVUBZvFxwZLhmFHRQfAiQlJDwkqiepJ-0o-ikuLR82xTbpOuE74TwtPV89_EGHSVFMs03jUFBSU1RJVcZV1lcrWGNabV8_ZOds9m0ZcXlzU3kDerh8uH5Zf8aCHoLHiPGLeozPj0aXlZf0mK2drqKjplenCKcrp1ypbqxZrpO18rc-uJO53cBUwfPE9sauxtjPZdDQ0TbUj9gk2t3bC-L342rnUudj6-7vDvF28i_yRfPd9kj60v4K_o8=

I still keep a lot of life, lose a bit of mana, and gain a bunch of deeps. Should cost me +- 30 regrets.

I'll have to drop de bear traps and figure out what to use on bosses/reflect packs. I'm thinking either fire ball or fire trap.

With that, you are sacrificing block, armour, an endu charge, some mana, 30% fire dmg, 20% burning dmg for 16% life.

This will work better http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAxthYYz38UFB8uIzPKS72SF8_VEnnUu8Oud3yL9SPGS4n7fPdrKpZ88AaZp6QVamV-tKnhFFgNukdFBo4JKrjao9GTDWYrew4GYXQ0KcIKMU62M9lna7YJNrd874t0k3YVcYSaTbFnjyMdhZvFxwfAjbYgW9xeQQH8WwEs0yzl5XsVRRN8B8tH1JTiBuiAG0ZPV_vhTvhwfPi96Kjpyt_xot6J6l-WRzcCPRabeOfeQMkPNQZMYjAVKdcvJ8RUOaBc1NJUQdjVysVUA==

8% more life than your alternative, keeps all the damage except a bit of area and area dmg.

As I edited into my previous post, use fire traps with conc effect and increased burning for your single target.
Last edited by Freeslana on Aug 23, 2013, 8:10:34 AM
You're right, but the fact is I don't know if I want to spend that much in respect for that character knowing that in a few levels I'll be stuck because i't not possible to sustain maps solo :). That's why I tried a "cheaper" solution, but I'll still consider it, as I don't know how much a regret actually costs, and have no plans yet for the next reroll.

edit: also, the 20% fire damage was a little bit counterd by the 60 strength that give me 12% spell dammage.. but yeah it's not worth it
Last edited by Renahud on Aug 23, 2013, 9:30:38 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info