could this help the download go faster?

could re-installing the entire game make this patch go faster, or would it mess it up and go extremely slow again? lol
Nevermind.. dont do it lol going slow as heck... now im gonna have to wait like a week for this to be done :P
Completely re-downloading the game will not make it download faster, as the download would still be provided by the same servers as the patch. Since you have already deleted the previous install you may be able to restore it by going to your recycle bin and selecting the client.ggpk file and selecting 'Restore'. I recommend removing the partially downloaded content.ggpk file you are currently downloading before doing this however.

If you are experiencing slow download speeds there are a couple of alternate download methods available, a few of which are listed in this announcement by Chris: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/504364
ggpk file wasnt in my recycle bin, im downloading it now from the link u sent me, where do i put it when its done?
If you installed Path of Exile in the default location, you can move the content.ggpk file to the following directory when you have finished downloading it:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Grinding Gear Games\Path of Exile

You may also need to download a few other files from the patcher, but these files are quite small and shouldn't take too long to download.
You should have done that (setting up alternate downloads) yourself, GGG... you know this is the inevitable result when you make everyone re-download the whole package.

Please, please, please make 100% sure to setup alternate download channels and better download servers when PoE releases.
"
Evilnut wrote:
You should have done that (setting up alternate downloads) yourself, GGG... you know this is the inevitable result when you make everyone re-download the whole package.

Please, please, please make 100% sure to setup alternate download channels and better download servers when PoE releases.

I think they have learned from their mistake and will try very hard to not let something like this happen again.

Part of the problem is 2-fold. Their patching system does not work well with torrents by itself. The torrent or other distribution method for the Content.ggpk would only help for people who want a fresh new one from scratch without patches applied.

The second part is the only way to distribute that torrent information is via announcements or posts which many users would not see because they just launch the client and let it patch/download.

So while alternative methods would be nice, I don't know what they're going to do. My best guess is just improvements in their cdn to make content delivery much more responsive as that would not require a re-write of their whole patching system.

On a side note, other games that use torrent style patching have their own drawbacks as well. For one, you have to patch incrementally. So that means that if you are a new player, you need to first install a "base" image, then you have to download ALL subsequent "patch" files which get applied to the base install in order. This eventually gets you "patched up" to the current version. Every once in a while, they have to release new "base" images which have a bunch of patches pre-applied to prevent from having to download SOO much data later. In these cases, every user is downloading the exact same set of "patch" files which get applied to an exact same "base" image. If you already have most recent, then a new patch only requires 1 additional "patch" file, where other people would need to download more to "catch up" to the current version.

PoE's patching system is a lot more flexible in that it only requires you to download the files which need updating.. this can save bandwidth and headaches later on as long as the bandwidth is available for the demand (which in this case it wasn't). It's a minor problem overall that I'm sure GGG will correct.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info