:;()$&@"\The Anime Pub/:;()$&@"

I google cells at work.

All I have to do now is get a few copies so my year 12 bio kids (final high school year) can watch some and catch up on thier immunology :)

:)

Cheers,
Matt
There are 10 types of people. Those that know binary, and those that dont.
Cells at work is fucking brilliant. Every week a number of med students and doctors jump on the anime reddit to break each episode down in great detail.
Conversations can be tiring and they can be unrewarding. I do not tolerate conversations that are both.
"
Completed 7 ChallengesFCK42 wrote:
Damn, that sure sounds awful with netflix, sry to hear that.

Regarding your sakuga spreadsheets... I heard recently that pokemon sun and moon apparently has a ridiculous amount of sakuga... about half of the sakuga scenes of the entire franchise (not counting movies). I watched a few episodes a while ago and it seemed like a genuinely good show once you can get over the fact that the art style is so very different. It's yet another one of those shows that I stopped watching for absolutely NO reason.

This is absolutely correct. A few episodes were chosen by the sakugabooru polls in 2017 for best animated episode. But I think that comes as far less of a surprise to me now that I've discovered Pre-fucking-Cure and Naru-fucking-To has a lot of sakuga as well. It's not really restricted to genre or even anticipated audience. Animators want to shine no matter what. It all comes down to the conditions. KyoAni can't really be accused of sakuga because their stuff is consistently high quality. Same goes for Madhouse, ufotable, IG, shaft to a lesser degree. Kinema Citrus is getting close too, although Starlight is struggling to keep it up. But studios like Toei, Tatsunoko, Pierrot (Pierrot circa 2000-2010), A-1, JC Staff, and more recently the risen-anew Deen all have this interesting balance of perfunctory episodes and stand-outs. If the former list of studios are a consistently well cooked meal, the latter are more like boring vegetables with exquisitely rare meat. And if you don't finish what's on your plate, you don't get dessert (the real sakuga episodes).

Conversations can be tiring and they can be unrewarding. I do not tolerate conversations that are both.
...finally done with all the catching up. God, that took a while. Tomorrow there will be lots of Apocrypha and maybe FLCL, since that's currently getting a continuation. After that it'll be time to pick up revue starlight and planet with.

Today's SG;0 episode was amazing, everything is slowly coming together now. Mayuri was the MVP for sure in this one.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
"
Today's SG;0 episode was amazing, everything is slowly coming together now. Mayuri was the MVP for sure in this one.

Spoiler
I just knew this shit was coming after that slice of life episode. It's been great to see Daru and Mayuri take the spotlight recently but man, talk about suffering...
thisisnotokay
Oh also, are you guys not watching Grand Blue? Haven't seen much talk about it here, but I'm finding it hilarious, undoubtedly my season favourite.
Grand blue is ok/solid. I've read manga worth 3-4 seasons till the last available chapter and as many mention it feels better than anime. But still, anime is pretty loyal to manga and it is good.
Spreading salt since 2006
Grand Blue is amazon only, and I'm being a good boy. For now.

Great to hear you're back on track, FCK42. FApoc is one of those shows that I think won't go away in a hurry -- you still see lots of contentious debate about it around the place. Even yesterday I saw someone comparing the ending of Fate/Extra to the ending of Fate/Apoc in terms of ideology and 'salvation of humanity'. Like or not, people did engage with FApoc on a much deeper level than would seem apparent from the at-the-time bitching about how bad it was.

Fun aside: when we FINALLY get the Fate/Apoc event for Fate/Go (looking like at least a year from now), several Apoc characters in FGO get animation updates reflecting their anime behaviour rather than what the game makers assumed they'd be like from the light novels. Atalanta and Mordred, especially, get incredible attack animation changes.

In other news. Let's see. Up to episode 58 of Naruto -- we slid from season 2 to season 3 without noticing. Loved picking Jiraiya's seiyuu after exactly one word. Hochuu Otsuka is a new favourite of mine, having been just 'the other Otsuka' for too long (all love for Akio Otsuka though -- who doesn't adore Iskandar and Batou!?). Definitely enjoying this a lot. The interplay between the different ninjutsu skills is surprisingly well thought out, and the big bad (voiced by Gintama's Otose, no less!) has serious presence and threat.

Watched a few episodes of Ambition of Oda Nobuna, which the GF dismissed long ago as mere harem/gender-swap crap. Well, it's a co-production with Madhouse, only 12 episodes and so far, very cleverly reworks the relationship between Oda Nobunaga and Kinoshita Tokichirou, who would later become the great Toyotomi Hideyoshi. The animation is great, the music is great, the characters are, despite the gender bend, strangely accurate and the plotting is SUPER rewarding if you know your Sengoku Jidai stuff. Most importantly, none of the gender-bent daimyo act haremy or moe. They're just...angry little female versions of their historical selves. It's...good!

Watched the first ep of How NOT to summon a Demon Lord. Expected an Overlord ripoff, got...what strikes me as a modern take on Bastard, to be honest. There are enough differences between Ainz and Diablo (especially internally) that I'm sort of on-board, and I got some serious laughs from that one ep. Will continue, cautiously.

(if you're wondering why I tried new/old things, the GF was cooking yesterday so we couldn't just keep going with what we're into).

SG0
Hanakana sells Mayushii in ways few seiyuu could. She should seem useless, passive, the not-love interest. She knows she can't compete with a ghost (intheshell), but she also knows that she's known Okarin so much longer than Kurisu, and that this gives her every right to fight for him. If not directly romantically, then perhaps only to save his soul. And that's what it looks like now, in this darkest of timelines. Okarin is a lost soul. He doesn't belong in that world. Her fight isn't for mere romantic love but something deeper, something that sits right at the bottom of her heart. Of her being. Because he saved her back then. Time to give back.

It was a super hectic episode and I actually wouldn't want to be an anime-only at this point. I believe they've combined two stories here: Mayushii's attempt to go back to 'the slap', and the hijacking of Amadeus. As you can imagine, in a VN, it's easy to do those separately and bring them to different conclusions. SG0 is really going balls-out to bring the best of the VN together in a linear way. This episode pushed that limitation, hard.

On a less positive note, I agree with a lot of people that the gun fight was so badly done it almost killed the tension. ALMOST.

Finished episode 19 of Apocrypha just now, gonna stop for today and continue tomorrow (or rather, later today to be exact). It's already pretty damn late here. Too late probably... or is it considered early at this point? I'm too tired to care. Gonna go trying to sleep for now and save the good stuff for later.
Still not sure what I'll do afterwards. I still have a couple of half-watched shows, classics to get to and two-ish current shows I haven't picked up yet. We'll see.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
"
Finished episode 19 of Apocrypha just now, gonna stop for today and continue tomorrow (or rather, later today to be exact). It's already pretty damn late here. Too late probably... or is it considered early at this point? I'm too tired to care. Gonna go trying to sleep for now and save the good stuff for later.
Still not sure what I'll do afterwards. I still have a couple of half-watched shows, classics to get to and two-ish current shows I haven't picked up yet. We'll see.

20 onwards is one wild ride.

Saw the next sakuga ep of Naruto. 70. whoa. Only three key animators. Mindblowing.

up to ep 91. its the perfect Im on strong pain meds marathon show...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info