:;()$&@"\The Anime Pub/:;()$&@"

Briefly reminded of that tooth-brush scene, echi stuff.

Monogatari did have a way of throwing that in there without detracting from it, if anything it made some scenes even better.

It's odd all around so throwing in something odd doesn't register that much.

Might have to revisit that show, it's such a good one.

Peace,

-Boem-

Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Monogatari usually used it as a joke or did it to absurd extremes, both of which worked well because of how weird (is this the right word? I don't even know what word to use to describe monogatari... different maybe? goofy? whacked in the head?) it is. In SAO it was... why WAS it even there? I mean, in Monogatari I can understand it, it was there from the very beginning, but why in SAO? Other than one stray thought of "Oh, wait, we still need fanservice!" I can't think of any half decent reason.

Regarding the rewatching, part of Zoku Owarimonogatari is out already, it's a really good watch so far. So if you want to get back into monogatari, it's a great time to do so.

"
Charan wrote:
It comes really close to getting it right but then pulls back. [...] What a waste of his talents.

Well, pretty much sums up the entire main series. Believe me... the movie is worse. The first one is just a recap movie with pretty much an OVA tacked on - so it doesn't really count imo - but Ordinal Scale is just... well, it has good looking animations at least, so it got that going for it. I don't remember any of the soundtrack, which means that it wasn't bad, but not that good either.

However, almost nothing in that movie made any damn sense. Like... how do virtual monsters hurl actual people several meters through the air? It was explicitly stated that all the monsters and stuff were only animations and cannot physically interact with real things! Then there's the camera movement that seems to go out of it's way to make certain scenes more confusing and our MC being a bloody idiot for the majority of the film before figuring out some REALLY obvious stuff in the last third or so (if you see someone that you talked to, who CLEARLY noticed you pointing in a direction, what would your first reaction be? Apparently not wondering about whatever the hell they were pointing at). I feel like the less I remember about that movie, the better.

The spinoff is pretty nice though. Might be due to it not featuring any of the main cast or focusing on some actual gameplay of one of the games, but it certainly was better. It wasn't entirely logical either at some points, but it all still fit in nicely. At the very least it was a fun and pleasant watch throughout. Which is not something I can say about the other stuff.

I've taken a look at some of the upcoming shows, some of which I didn't expect to be honest. Sewayaki Kitsune no Senko-san and Senryuu Shoujo for example. I'm definitely going to have a look at those two (please make them get a decent adaptation). My other (obvious) picks for next season are OPM2, Attack on Titan, Kimetsu no Yaiba, Bungou Stray Dogs 3 (this is probably the one I'm most excited about) and Kenja no Mago (as my obligatory seasonal isekai pick that may or may not turn out to be horrible). I might add stuff to that later on. There could always be a sleeper hit or two.
Oh yeah, and Isekai Quartet. I hope it's going to be something like an isekai version of Carnival Phantasm. I doubt it will be, but I still hope. And if it IS, it will be glorious.
I make dumb builds, therefore I am.
"
鬼殺し wrote:

I wouldn't downplay Nisemonogatari's embrace of lewd. Jokey or absurd, it was the weakest part of the series and should have stayed firmly in NisioIsin's private works. Also, just to make it worse, take note of how many behind the knee shots we get in the whole series. Shinbo doesn't even pretend not to want to go there as much as possible.

It certainly wasn't an "accident" which makes me wonder, was it part of the work to draw the viewer from intelectual to carnal (and taboo) on purpose?

Your the sensei with all the backstory on anime so maybe you know.

The work in its entirity feels to "finished" and "artistic" to think of it as a frivolous afair to me.
But maybe i'm just overthinking it.

Peace,

-Boem-
^Is the premise of domestic girlfriend a cultural thing?

For me it barely registered since they are not blood related and it's bassicaly "playing house". Awkward for sure but i don't have the taboo thing with it which most shows with such an angle play out.
It's part of why i find the dynamic in the situation interesting.

You could have totally made up a backstory about monogatari :p!
Pitty there isn't one.

Peace,

-Boem-
"
It's probably more the incredible coincidence that forces it. That's what 'contrived' means. And as I said, we've had a gutful of contrivance and coincidence with SAO.

Apologies that flew over me.

Makes sense it's definetly a one in a billion kind of thing to set-up the story.

I imagine that's a lot more painfull to watch as a writer yourself, knowing the ins and outs of how to do a decent set-up for a story/scene and not falling into that pit.

I am blissfully unaware of that so i can glance over such errors without experiencing them as "stupid".

Yeah SAO had it's fair share of those coincidences :p and it started out so damn good, what a waste.
The production level of that show supported by a solid story, the potential was there to bad it didn't deliver.

Have fun with Oregairu

Anybody watched hinomaruzumou? Manliest man show of this season lol.
It's not amazing but it does get your hype up at times.

I'm also on boogiepop at the moment, not sure if i mentioned that already, but that show is weird to follow. It's really good but takes like a few episodes to get accustomed to in my opinion.

Peace,

-Boem-
Oregairu is a good one, though a lot of people say that the 2nd season is where it goes downhill somewhat. I liked it a lot overall. Apparently a 3rd season is in the making, so that's nice.

I was thinking of picking up Domestic na Kanojo again, but I think I'll get back on the manga instead. I started reading it, but then stopped at one point for pretty much no reason (I do this a lot... why am I doing that? What's wrong with me? Or rather, what's NOT wrong with me? I imagine that list to be shorter). It takes a while, but turns out pretty good. But yeah, the premise takes one hell of a coincidence.

Haven't seen Hinomaruzumou (yet). I will probably later, same with boogiepop. Things with weird timelines are better suited for binging, so I have a legitimate reason for boogiepop at least.

Shield hero delivered as usual this week. I mean, at this point I'm just talking about the same 5 (or more) shows every week, showering with praise for pretty much everything that can already be expected from them. At this point I guess I should get some shows from my "plan to watch (hahahaha as if that's ever going to happen) list" done. I have at the very least one on there that's LOOOOONG overdue. You probably know which one I'm talking about, charan (the one you pretty much rubbed into my face for a large portion of last year). No, I STILL haven't seen it. Yes I will get to that. I promise. And then there's a couple more that I should watch as soon as possible after that one. LOTS of em even.
^Literally laughing out loud at that progression of SAO.

=-D

Lined up like that it has some comedy value at least.

I remember oregairu "not delivering" on the second season but i don't recall the details. Some stuff is coming back while i type this, but i think it's better discussed after you finished it.

A season 3 would pull me right back in though, i enjoyed the characters a lot.

@FCK42 the anime fan horror life when you have to many shows delivering solid stuff leaving nothing to rant about :p, well nothing is a stretch but this season has been great.

It's not always that i have 6+ shows lined up in one season to watch every week.

Peace,

-Boem-
"

Regarding SAO, I've come up with the perfect word to describe the writing: it's juvenile. The animation is fucking amazing, but the character reactions and motivations are juvenile. This wouldn't be a problem if the themes weren't heavy as all fuck. But when a female player in a VRMMO game gets all tsundere and defensive when a male player sees their female character in their undies, that's like...ridiculously unrealistic. Even Japanese high school kids know they're just characters. That level of forced 'comedy' really breaks the immersion, and SAO puts most of its eggs in the immersion basket.

I won't disagree that significantly large portions of SAO as a whole should have been done better, but for this specific comment ("But when a female player in a VRMMO game gets all tsundere and defensive when a male player sees their female character in their undies, that's like...ridiculously unrealistic"), I will point out that for the Aincrad arc, (minor spoiler)
Spoiler
the player's "characters" are replicas of their RL bodies (as the antagonist for that arc forcibly strips the players of their adjusted character models in episode one). I don't think it unreasonable that someone in that situation would be as shy of showing a replica of their RL body to another person as they would be of their actual body.

Not that we know whether this was intentional or just coincidental; and as you mention it's probable that it was contrived purely for the sake of having such a scene in the show.
Last edited by UmbralForce on Mar 20, 2019, 11:37:40 PM
"
FCK42 wrote:
I was thinking of picking up Domestic na Kanojo again, but I think I'll get back on the manga instead.

Come to the dark side. You, too, can have the power of spoilers at your fingertips.

The only disappointment is that when you read too much. You don't really have many things to watch when the new season comes out. Such is the way of the manga neet.

Also, super disappointed in A Certain Magical Index III. I didn't know someone could ruin a franchise this badly, since Mass Effect 3. Holy shit.
(⌐■_■)
"
鬼殺し wrote:
oh fuck Neverland wow. FCK, I hope you can see your way back to it someday. It became my AOTS this week. Mob might change that but I would be surprised if it can hit all the bases as Neverland does.

DomeKano commits to its premise hard. Far less immature than I expected. We are in. That opening is fucking great too. Like, its so much better than it should be. Up there with Kakegurui s1 op.

I will get back to it when all episodes are out. I just can't handle the combination of horror+cliffhanger well.

Regarding Mob... the progression of pretty much all characters is outright amazing, it has some SERIOUS "oh shit" moments and some of the most sakuga heavy fights I've seen EVER. In my oüinion, one of them even surpasses One Punch Man's Saitama vs Boros and Fate/Apocrypha's Sieg vs Karna. It's a ridiculously well animated spectacle of a scene. It definitely is my pick for anime of the season and even has a good chance at anime of the year. It's better than the first season in almost every regard.

Once you've seen the two scenes I've mentioned, I'd really like to hear your opinion about them. I better stop writing now before I write another ten paragraphs or so of praise. It's just that good. And I'm pretty sure you know or at least suspect that already.

PS: Quting seems to work again. Neat.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info