What do you guys think of the new doctor?

Any and all impressions welcomed.
I think that for the direction the show seems to take he fits the role quite nicely but i will be sure of this or not when ill first see him until then speculate away my duckies :D
But keep it civil.

Also here's a clip of him in case you peeps have been living under the crust of the planet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zim8zL3Q5k
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness.
May those who defy their fate be granted glory."

Edel
I think he is an excellent choice. I am very excited to see what he can do for the role.

Bullshit, you get the game for free.

-Qarl
I am so glad they didn't continue the ever decreasing age trend, we were looking at a potential Dr Harry Who Potter if they had stuck with that. So yeah, seems like a bonkers enough kind of guy :)
No opinion yet.. but I am a bit confused with returning to a more mature character as the Doctor. I know they obviously never expected the longevity the show has had when they first developed the character but it would be nice if they at least tried to explain why the Doctor has stopped regressing age wise and of course now has gone the other way.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.
I don't know if that will ever be addressed. The regeneration process felt kinda random to me and from his reaction regeneration to regeneration it seemed he thought the same thing. Then again its doctor Who so you never know what could come next. :)
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness.
May those who defy their fate be granted glory."

Edel
The Dr getting younger per regeneration is not part of Dr Who lore, it's a purely coincidental result in some cases and a purely market based decision in other cases.

The Dr should always be a bit of a fruit loop though. After all, he has a lot on his mind...
I thought John Hurt was going to play the Doctor in the new season.
And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit - The Tick
"
cronk wrote:
The Dr getting younger per regeneration is not part of Dr Who lore, it's a purely coincidental result in some cases and a purely market based decision in other cases.

The Dr should always be a bit of a fruit loop though. After all, he has a lot on his mind...

I believe you are not correct here. In 1966 Hartnell (the first Doctor) had agreed that he would be retiring and that a new actor would assume the part. Script editor Gerry Davis proposed that the Doctor, being alien, could die and return in a new body. Producer Innes Lloyd took that concept one step further and planned for the Doctor to do this "renewal" regularly, transforming from an older man to a younger one. This of course allowed recasting of the role whenever needed. That pattern was not broken until many Doctors later.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.
I am correct here.

There has never been any intention to de-age the Dr.

You can repeat what you believe to be a fact on a forum in 2013 until you're blue in the face, but it's not a true fact.

The closest you could ever come to 'proving' that hypothesis is for someone to quote half a line from someones biography where someone says they half discussed the option at some point (which I doubt they ever have).

I look forward to seeing the many links which support your hypothesis.
I'm totally looking forward to an older Doctor and I agree that if they'd kept up the age progression, we'd end up with teenagers and toddlers eventually. Anyway, I think Peter Capaldi will be awesome. And I predict the appearence of a pocket watch to explain his previous appearances on Dr. Who/Torchwood. :-D

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info