Arctic Breath

What's the point of using this skill?

Honestly I cant see why I would use it over spear?
"
malvod wrote:
"
waffenheimer wrote:

does increasing/decreasing "Projectile Damage" change the Area damage of the explosion? or are they two different components... Projectile and AoE?

the way I read your answer they seem totally separate? so LMP/Chain/Fork do not decrease AB explosion dmg at all??

I think it works like most other things do. It affects what it can affect and doesn't what it can't. So LMP would give you more projectiles and reduce ALL of your damage with that spell. Concentrated effect gives increased damage and decreased aoe, so on fireball for instance, it wouldn't make the fireball any smaller or make it do more damage if it pierces, but it would decrease the explosion at the end and increase ITS damage. I'm right on this, right?

well LMP doesn't reduce ALL dmg. it reduces projectile dmg. I think it is strong on arctic breath then. my LMP - Coldpen - conc effect AB is hitting for around 3.7k dps if I am mathing right. it's hard to figure out tho cause the tooltip says nothing about the explosion dmg :P

i'm trying hard to make this skill amazing but it is so outclassed by a lmp/gmp pierce crit dmg ice spear it's not even funny. you sure can shotgun facetank with AB well but ice spear would just permafreez the dude so they coulnd't jump on you and do dmg anyways.

but hey at least with AB I can lag other ppl so hard they die and I get their loot. that's more canon/cutthroat/exiled, right?

it honestly feels like icespear/freeze is too strong. put proliferation on it and it trivializes pretty much everything.
Last edited by waffenheimer on Mar 26, 2013, 12:44:53 AM
"
well LMP doesn't reduce ALL dmg. it reduces projectile dmg. I think it is strong on arctic breath then. my LMP - Coldpen - conc effect AB is hitting for around 3.7k dps if I am mathing right. it's hard to figure out tho cause the tooltip says nothing about the explosion dmg :P

Are you sure you are seeing the numbers right?
I never tried AB, but I am 100% sure LMP affects the fireball by -30% overall dmg, and fireball shares the exact same tags with AB. both are projectiles and deal their dmg with AoE.

EDIT: If you are right, either AB or FB is not working as intended I think, and one of them is due a nerf/revamp.
Breach build - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1772123
Last edited by nmc09331 on Mar 27, 2013, 8:16:01 AM
"
nmc09331 wrote:
"

Are you sure you are seeing the numbers right?
I never tried AB, but I am 100% sure LMP affects the fireball by -30% overall dmg, and fireball shares the exact same tags with AB. both are projectiles and deal their dmg with AoE.

EDIT: If you are right, either AB or FB is not working as intended I think, and one of them is due a nerf/revamp.

ah I reread and I guess it does get reduced.. but AB has a high base so it still hits hard with LMP/conc. at lvl 70 I am 1-2shotting most yellows/blues in the docks/thicket.
Does AB it work with concentrated effect? The tooltip info doesn't show any increase in damage.. although the mana cost is bigger.
IGN: AlCohonez, GhengizCohen
"
piotras wrote:
Does AB it work with concentrated effect? The tooltip info doesn't show any increase in damage.. although the mana cost is bigger.
works the same as fireball, except arctic breath has a different shaped AoE and is cold damage instead of fire and moves faster. if it pierces (via supports) then its just listed damage, on final hit(s if forked or multi projectile'd) projectile is converted to AoE to then get benefit of AoE modifiers.
Arctic Breath has several serious drawback that works against anyone wanting to make it the main skill.

First; It hit anything, small rock, walls, chest etc, the skill is mostly unusable in any closed space and in rooms with stuff laying around.

Second; Arctic Breath will "stick" to large invisible corners of objects it can't shoot over. Making shooting in rooms or around object hard and random.

Third; it can't shoot up or over ditch, holes etc. Mobs on a ledge shooting me and i can't defend myself, if i aim down im fine with AC hitting the side of the ledge, if i aim up at the mob then it should aim at the mob. In maps with bridges or tight open(no walls) hallways im a sitting duck since i can't shoot to the sides at the mobs shooting me. Even shooting straight in said bridge/hallway is a challenge mostly based on luck.

Fourth; The Quality %. "Per 1% Quality: +0.75% increased Skill Effect Duration" I'ts one of those gems that the % is only usefull(if even noticable) at like 20%. Anything below has no reason to even exist. for the record At level 10 the GEM base duration is 1.23seconds and at 20 it's 1.45seconds, add to that a 10%Q of 7.5% increase and you get a whole lotta nothing.

About my build, i use an increase area and ele damage to maximise the blast of artic breath because yes im built to actually use it as my main but damn if AC don't hate me he sure don't want to play with me much. Right now im 40, none of the issues above can be overcome with leveling afaik.

Last edited by DAYLEET on Apr 8, 2013, 5:25:34 PM
Been trying this skill out and it need some work. I do like the ideal of a cold fireball.
I hate that it pops on anything in the path. Rocks, holes,chest.
Can't shoot mobs above you or below.
Another is the quality on the gem is useless.
Going to test out ice spear.
Last edited by grubworm on Apr 8, 2013, 7:17:59 PM
"
DAYLEET wrote:

Third; it can't shoot up or over ditch, holes etc. Mobs on a ledge shooting me and i can't defend myself, if i aim down im fine with AC hitting the side of the ledge, if i aim up at the mob then it should aim at the mob. In maps with bridges or tight open(no walls) hallways im a sitting duck since i can't shoot to the sides at the mobs shooting me.

I could've sworn this was pretty normal for ranged skills in general, I have never been able to shoot 'up' at things with any ranged attack successfully.

Unless we count stuff like Cold Snap that doesn't produce a projectile.
In which case I have torn up things on higher cliffs with those.
Why am I wearing a heavy belt if I haven't got any pants?
Last edited by Milchut on Apr 12, 2013, 7:17:25 PM
i can't talk for spell as arctic breath the only ranged one i use but all bow skills/arrows can. And coldSnap has a pretty big cool down, frost nova can also shoot up somehow which dont make much sense.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info