How you died in HC

Thought it would be interesting to share our experiences with HC and how we died.

My first char I got to Maelstrom of Chaos: Summons died on a ledge map and a huge mob of cold snap casters nuked me and my insufficient amount of cold res.

Just today: 1 hit KO'd by Vaal on ruthless after taking too long to get out of the way of his fire slam attack. With 2,8k es I was annoyed and surprised, but realised I only had 15% fire res, so I guess I deserved it.

At level 50, its a bit of a bummer, but I won't reroll the char until I at least hit end game, as I haven't played with maps yet.

What's your best HC death story?

Or any death if you feel the inclination.
"Minions of your minions are your minion's minions, not your minions." - Mark
The first and only time I have played hard core I made it until I had to fight Brutis in normal. I know I am a hc noob but I think I did really good. I was playing a dual claw shadow and I probably just needed better claws and armor.
My HC deaths are as frequent as they are enlightening.

- running around a corner into the middle of several explosive spawn
- recently taking on Kraityn with a pure evasion build, little health, little DPS, and no summons/totems for distraction ...oops? ;)
- flicker.. flicker.. flickerflickerflickerfli.. doh.
- random losses of focus

Surprisingly, I haven't been killed yet by a charging Rhoa.. nearly though. They hurt. A lot.

Can't help but shrug, learn, and re-roll.
Last time I lost a bow ranger to Alira in normal, corpse explosions got me.
✠ ✠
That over-sized vacuum cleaner has sucked the life from many an Exile :'(

I had 2 deaths to Vaal in the recent 1-week HC event:

* "Watch for falling rocks" - L55 merciless. Got hit twice by rocks in close succession.

* "off-screen lazors" - L47 ruthless. Zapped to death while I was distracted by re-opening a town portal.

Also had a stupid death to a pack of rare hellion dogs supported by lightning spark casting goatmen in cruel prisoner's gate.

Other HC deaths:

"don't let your character get surrounded" - had a couple of careless early deaths in 3 hour HC events to ice breath/sea monster swarms in norm submerged passage. Some close calls with rhoas in mud flats too, but thankfully no deaths.

"exsanguination" - puncture sucks! It's run and bleed to death or stand still and get swarmed. Ran into a nasty pack of (naturally fast) dogs in cruel rocky climb with the haste aura. Game over LOL.
IGN: Friar
Knight of Guild Medieval http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/545783
Game Mechanics http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/11707
Recipe Book http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/15223
Quest Reward List http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/36776
Here's one I remembered randomly:

Summoner on ruthless cliff top. Got too close to a rare fire shaman with fire shield up, my zombies attacked it, and got nuked by the resulting explosion. Twas an interesting day that one.
"Minions of your minions are your minion's minions, not your minions." - Mark
Accidentally linked vitality to unlevelled blood magic AND accidentally pressed my hotkey that activates it. Beat that. I don't recall the level of the character, I think it was low 40s. But I do remember the twilight zone feeling and WTF when I died.
2 days ago got a witch to level 61, my first char to reach that level in hardcore, also found 3 maps while playing on the merciless difficulty.

I was kinda excited to try the maps endgame content. so I proceeded to engage merciless vaal.

While fighting him the European server crashed. 20 minutes later I was finally able to log in again only to find that my character was dead.
Had a rage-quit moment, haven't touched the game since.
lets see

freeze locked pretty early by a added cold dmg/increased crit chance rare
killed by kraityn
killed by puncture
killed by kraityn
killed by freeze lock
killed by oak
killed by stun lock on a high lvl CI build
killed by puncture

not particularly interesting but plenty of them
IGN --- Grizdale
Last edited by Grizdale on Sep 7, 2012, 9:51:28 AM
My first death happened in a dungeon where i ran into a small room full of Spark spammer skeletons and a necromancer...

I guess i don't even need to say more than that :P
Last edited by littlezoe on Sep 7, 2012, 10:09:51 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info