Democracy is upon us

Voting day today here in Cambodia. Not sure why they bothered, given that they decided a few days ago that the main opposition wasn't allowed to be on the ballot.

Regardless, a bunch of people turned up to vote, only to be told they "weren't allowed". This is the third election I've been here for, and the third time this has happened. The big difference is this is the first time people have openly retaliated:

Spoiler

That's an Army car on fire near a polling station, with monks in the angry mob who lit the fire (not my photo).

I get the feeling there may be some trouble over the next few days.
Last edited by MonstaMunch on Jul 28, 2013, 7:26:22 AM
Out of Chaos comes order.

People around the world are getting fed up with corrupt governments and the extremists that want to replace them with their own corrupt view of how things should be run.

Watched a very interesting piece from the Daily Show where both sides (Republicans and Democrats) are having trouble getting truly qualified people to run for Congress. We know it has failed its mission and now are waiting for it to implode.

Edit: Good Luck! Hope it goes well for you!
"Out of Chaos comes order" - that is a loaded comment/quote/cliche. If you create the "Chaos" you can also create the "order."

Anyway, I didn't research any of the OP.. but good luck man, hate to see shit like this but it's an unfortunate necessity in a world of corruption.
http://www.youtube.com/user/stefbot

if you want to know what government truly is and the history of the state and why the worlds economic situation is rapidly deteriorating, this channel is a must watch for everyone
SHAOLIN STRIKES BACK!

Return to the 36 Chambers!!!!
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
When the government won't listen to its citizens, violence becomes necessary. The trick is to use as little violence as needed to be heard.
Bullshit, you get the game for free.

-Qarl
Dont worry, things will quiet down. Eventually the media there will fool the populace into thinking elections give the people a real choice. Just takes time.
For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
Last edited by SkyCore on Jul 29, 2013, 3:57:23 AM
We are legion . . .?
If you wish for a key? pray to the allmighty Keysus. If you want a speedy Blessing? Donate to the church of Keysus and ye shall receive a Blessing.

*Disclaimer- This is now a vintage saying*
"
xreasonz wrote:
We are legion . . .?

Been there, done that. The thing about "developing" countries is they don't run on computers, and they don't keep their dirt on them either. >.>

Everything seems more quiet today. They told everyone to stay at home for the day, and that seems to be pretty much what everyone is doing.

fwiw, the guy who lost is as corrupt and vile as the guy who won, and probably less competent, so I guess it's not all bad >.<

Just as an update for anyone who's interested:

Looks like my concerns were premature, but things are indeed kicking off now. Went out to try and get some food and stuff yesterday evening only to find the bridge into town blocked by a big fight between riot police and protesters.

There was (and still is) absolutely nothing about it on local TV, which is why I didn't even know there were major protests happening until I ran out of rolling papers and food. English language newspapers are covering it (apparently the thing on the bridge ended up with people getting shot), but local news seems to be mostly trying to pretend nothing is happening. Offices (including mine) are open and people are mostly getting on with work, but a lot of the main roads in and out of Phnom Penh are still blocked off with razor wire.

I feel pretty safe. No one here is angry with foreigners. I now have a bunch of food and water and stuff at home, so the worst that can happen is I'll end up with a few days off work if things get really hairy.

Article for people who don't know the background: http://www.smh.com.au/world/cambodia-violent-clashes-over-disputed-elections-leave-protester-dead-hundreds-injured-20130916-2tte7.html

"
xreasonz wrote:
We are legion . . .?

Now out in full force. A few government sites are down, other compromised. Not a lot of real damage that can be done, but people are doing what they can.

Edit: And all these articles claiming only one person died yesterday are full of crap. There are lots of photos going around that show at least several dead.
Last edited by MonstaMunch on Sep 15, 2013, 11:43:17 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info