Detailed combat mechanics?

Since i am some kind of number-cruncher, i am wondering about the exact combat mechanics of PoE. So maybe someone could shed some light on this. I hope to get "real information", not "wild guesses or assumptions"!

So here is what i expect/assume which i want to be clearified:

Attack with physical damage (melee, ranged):
1. Calculation if attack will hit. Hit chance obviously is capped to 95% except you pick passive Resolute Techniques.
2. If the attack would hit, defensive mechanisms will take place. I expect the following order:
2. a) Chance to Block: If block occurs, the block recovery timer is set. As long as it is "active", all other attacks will skip this. Chance to Block is capped to 75%. If block occurs, damage is nullified.
2. b) Chance to Evade: No evasion timer mentioned. So it seems that evasion can take for any consecutive attack immediatly. Chance to Evade is capped to 75%. If evasion occurs, damage is nullified.
2. c) If the attack would still hit, the damage is calculated. The damage is a random value in the attack's range. Actual damage on the target will be this value reduced by armour. The reduction is capped to 75%.
2. d) The actual damage value will be subtracted from energy shield if applicable. If not (or incomplete), the (remain rest) damage is subtracted from the life pool.

EDIT: Order of 2.a) and 2.b) is of course "exchangable" in my opinion, blocking first makes more sense, since statistically spoken, it would improve the recovery timer in favor for the "defender".

So for physical attacks, the theoretical (but not achievable) reduction of damage would be 0.25 (chance to pass block) * 0.25 (chance to pass evasion) * 0.25 ("flat" damage reduction by armour) = 0.016 = 1.6% damage (if block recovery available each attack).

Is this true? How about "realistic" values:
Block 30%
Evade 18%
Armour Reduction (stated) 51%
=> Physical damage reduced to 28% in statistical average.

Attack with spells:
Each spell has a damage type. Those being:
- Fire
- Cold
- Lightning
- Chaos

Spells cannot be blocked/evaded except with special "perks" like passive Phase Acrobatics (20% evasion against spells, flat). So the only counter to spell damage are resistances. Chaos magic has no resistance (alway 0%) except for passive Chaos Inoculation (100%).
For fire, cold or lightning damage, damage reduction is capped to 75%.

Conclusion:
Is my perception accurate?
Scaling up, it seems that preventing physical damage is "easier" than spell damage. True?

thanks for clearing up,
Nordstern
Last edited by Njordstar on Aug 20, 2012, 3:35:49 PM
May i point you to this topic: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/11707 (Mechanics thread - stickied in the Beta general discussion forum)

Or the PoE wiki: http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Path_of_Exile_Wiki
Proud 5th duelist in the Jul 1 2012 Ladder Race and in the Nov 3 2012 Solo Turbo Race :D
And even prouder 4th Templar in the Nov 10 Four-hour Party Hardcore Race :P
Current OB success:
top 20 Ranger in 105 Minute Turbo Solo (S4E9)
Last edited by Sony_Black on Aug 20, 2012, 3:56:36 PM
"
Sony_Black wrote:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/11707 (Mechanics thread - stickied in the Beta general discussion forum)

Thanks. Strange that i have not found it. It surely answers my questions :)
Actually, you can get up to 6% of chaos resistance from the two maximum resistances nodes in the marauder end of the skill tree.
"
Njordstar wrote:
Attack with physical damage (melee, ranged):
You mean "Attacks". Physical damage is just one damage type, and all of this other than armour (which specifically provides physical damage reduction) applies to all attacks. Physical damage is not exclusive to attacks, nor are the other damage types exclusive to spells.
"
Njordstar wrote:
1. Calculation if attack will hit. Hit chance obviously is capped to 95% except you pick passive Resolute Techniques.
Correct, although there's two stages here you're lumping together - accuracy/evasion, and if that fails, there's also potentially a dodge chance (from the Acrobatics keystone) that provide a secondary way to avoid being hit.
"
Njordstar wrote:
2. a) Chance to Block: If block occurs, the block recovery timer is set. As long as it is "active", all other attacks will skip this. Chance to Block is capped to 75%. If block occurs, damage is nullified.
There is no such thing as a "block recovery timer". You always have your chance to block.
"
Njordstar wrote:
2. b) Chance to Evade: No evasion timer mentioned. So it seems that evasion can take for any consecutive attack immediatly. Chance to Evade is capped to 75%. If evasion occurs, damage is nullified.
  • You've already done evasion, that was step 1. Either an attack hits or it misses, based on attacker accuracy vs defender evasion.
  • Chance to evade is capped between 5% and 95%, not 75%

"
Njordstar wrote:
2. c) If the attack would still hit, the damage is calculated. The damage is a random value in the attack's range. Actual damage on the target will be this value reduced by armour. The reduction is capped to 75%.
Physical damage is affected by physical damage reduction (from armour and endurance charges), the other damage types are mitigated by resistances.
"
Njordstar wrote:
2. d) The actual damage value will be subtracted from energy shield if applicable. If not (or incomplete), the (remain rest) damage is subtracted from the life pool.
Except chaos damage which bypasses energy shield.

"
Njordstar wrote:
EDIT: Order of 2.a) and 2.b) is of course "exchangable" in my opinion, blocking first makes more sense, since statistically spoken, it would improve the recovery timer in favor for the "defender".
Except that there's no such thing. You can't block an attack that missed. A blocked attack hit you (on the shield), but did no damage (but may have other effects).

"
Njordstar wrote:
So for physical attacks, the theoretical (but not achievable) reduction of damage would be 0.25 (chance to pass block) * 0.25 (chance to pass evasion) * 0.25 ("flat" damage reduction by armour) = 0.016 = 1.6% damage (if block recovery available each attack).
Again, this should be just attacks, not "physical attacks" which doesn't really mean anything, although could be inferred as a"attacks dealing only physical damage", when all of this other than armour is common to all attacks, not just physical damage. Also, as pointed out, you got several caps wrong and applied chance to hit twice.

"
Njordstar wrote:
Attack with spells:
Spells are not attacks, attacks are not spells.
"
Njordstar wrote:
Each spell has a damage type. Those being:
- Fire
- Cold
- Lightning
- Chaos
You missed physical. Also, this is exactly as true for attacks as it is for spells, both of which can do any of the five damage types, or any combination thereof (so saying they have "a" damage type is incorrect).

"
Njordstar wrote:
Spells cannot be blocked/evaded except with special "perks" like passive Phase Acrobatics (20% evasion against spells, flat).
No, that's dodge chance, not evasion. Evasion is tested against attacker acuracy to determine chance to hit, and can only apply to attacks, because spells don't have accuracy to test against. Dodge is a flat chance to avoid, and thus can apply to spells.
"
Njordstar wrote:
So the only counter to spell damage are resistances. Chaos magic has no resistance (alway 0%) except for passive Chaos Inoculation (100%).
There are items that provide chaos resistance, and some monsters innately resist chaos. Chaos resistance is not always 0% or immune.
"
Njordstar wrote:
For fire, cold or lightning damage, damage reduction is capped to 75%.
Correct (chaos resistance also has this cap). The cap on these (and chaos resistance) can be raised in various ways.
Due to being under the mistaken impressions that spells don't do physical damage, you left out physical damage reduction, which comes from both armour (scaling based on amount of damage) or endurance charges (flat), and mitigates physical damage.

"
Njordstar wrote:
Is my perception accurate?
Not entirely.
"
Njordstar wrote:
Scaling up, it seems that preventing physical damage is "easier" than spell damage. True?
Those are not necessarily separate things. You mean attack damage and spell damage. And it's kind of subjective as spells tend to be easier to avoid by movement (especially projectile spells).
"
Mark_GGG wrote:

"
Njordstar wrote:
There is no such thing as a "block recovery timer". You always have your chance to block.

So the increased block and stun recovery mod on things such as cloth belts does exactly what in regards to blocking? Or does it actually only affect stuns?
Why am I wearing a heavy belt if I haven't got any pants?
"
Milchut wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:

"
Njordstar wrote:

So the increased block and stun recovery mod on things such as cloth belts does exactly what in regards to blocking? Or does it actually only affect stuns?

If you get hit by an attack that would stun you, but block it, you play a blocking animation instead (base 350ms long, if I recall right.) Block recovery reduces the duration of that animation. While it's playing, you've still got the block chance you had before, and presumably, if you get hit by another stunning hit that is blocked, the duration would reset.
Ancient and unwise, SSF only since 2012
"
Caiada wrote:
If you get hit by an attack that would stun you, but block it, you play a blocking animation instead (base 350ms long, if I recall right.) Block recovery reduces the duration of that animation. While it's playing, you've still got the block chance you had before, and presumably, if you get hit by another stunning hit that is blocked, the duration would reset.
Correct. Blocking stops damage, but not stun. If you block a hit that would stun, you are effectively still stunned, but with the block animation rather than the stun animation. While playing this animation you can't take any active action, but passive things (such as blocking again) can still occur.
Block/stun recovery reduces the stun time.
"
Njordstar wrote:
Spells cannot be blocked/evaded except with special "perks" like passive Phase Acrobatics (20% evasion against spells, flat).

There's a unique amulet that allows you to apply 50% of your block chance to spells. I forget the name of it though. Not sure if this mod appears on any other items, though I do not believe it does.
There is a passive on the western side of the tree that applies 12% of your block chance to spells, which I assume stacks with the 50% on the unique and possibly even the other unique shield that converts all your block into spell block.
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
Last edited by anubite on Aug 20, 2012, 11:18:43 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info